Van Cliburn, dead at 78.

Posted by: Jonathan Baker

Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/27/13 12:56 PM

I deeply regret that Van Cliburn has passed away at 78. He had recently be diagnosed with advanced bone cancer.

Van Cliburn produced a phenomenally golden tone, and his approach to the piano and music was always noble in spirit. He was a class act, always supportive of fellow pianists. He took seriously his international role as a kind of ambassador of classical music to the general public. No one can remember him every engaging in negative gossip about other musicians. His foundation will continue assist younger pianists for generations to come. I will miss his gracious presence.
Posted by: Robert 45

Re: Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/27/13 01:18 PM

This is very sad news. He was the youngest and most dazzling piano talent in the USA of his time and winning the Tchaikovsky Competition in 1958 at the height of the Cold War, his sublime piano playing won not only the hearts of the Russians, but the entire world.

Robert.
Posted by: VGrantano

Re: Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/27/13 03:18 PM

He'll be missed. Wonderful man, magnificent artist.

(http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=793204#scptid)
Posted by: Paul Y

Re: Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/27/13 03:50 PM

Quite sad for sure.... Although it was about 30 years ago (or so), one of my first visits to New York City to visit my (then) Yamaha piano dealer (Ostrovsk (sp) ????) I was told that the big grand piano in the side room was that of Van Cliburn. I think they said he had moved out of his lush NY apartment and left his piano with them (for some reason).

In any event, I took the liberty of playing his piano for a short time before I left.

I had not thought about that time OR the event until I read of his passing.

A sad time and much to young to lose at 78.

Paul
Posted by: Entheo

Re: Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/27/13 04:11 PM

one of my all time favorite pianists. he'll live on thru his recordings.
Posted by: Glenn Treibitz

Re: Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/27/13 06:46 PM

A true legend and a gentleman. He did an enormous amount to inspire a generation of American to play the piano. Where is the modern day equivalent for Americans?
Posted by: theJourney

Re: Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/28/13 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Glenn Treibitz
A true legend and a gentleman. He did an enormous amount to inspire a generation of American to play the piano. Where is the modern day equivalent for Americans?

Where?

China.
Posted by: Tom Burgess

Re: Van Cliburn, dead at 78. - 02/28/13 11:24 AM

RIP Van Cliburn. One of the world's truly great people and an awesome talent.