The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE

Posted by: paul milando

The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/13/06 01:52 PM

This is one amazing piano performance. I think
it was played on a Bowsingdorfer1 http://musicmavericks.publicradio.org/features/rafiles/scott.ram
Posted by: Grandpianoman

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/13/06 02:52 PM

LOL....it looks like they are having surgery on the Bowie-bosie, NO, wait..... it's Rolfing, that's what they are doing!!! :rolleyes: ;\) \:D ....it is actually a very interesting sound and is fairly pleasing to the ear...the composition is not bad. It looks like something the composer John Cage would do to a piano, but his compositions were never tonal like this one. I like it!

Gpman
Posted by: BDB

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/13/06 05:08 PM

No, it is a Bowedwin SD10.
Posted by: Axtremus

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/13/06 06:58 PM

Exactly, BDB, how could anyone not recognize the Baldwin signature sound from that piano?
It's so obvious to any one who has ears!

And, sigh... what a waste, they could have gotten a much fuller, more resonant tone out of that lid hinge had the piano had a full-perimeter plate with thicker rim.

And what's with that hammer? They should have used Renner Blue to get more projection out of that "tonk, tonk, tonk"-ing near the bridge.

The action... they could have gotten much better pianissimmo control had they put in a "Full Renner" with the wippen assist springs.

And, come one, what's with the strings? It's like cutting a chicken's throat -- they should have used Röslau through and through for all the plain wires to get a more refined, more "romantic sounding" cantabile tone out of the piano.

And, is it just me or do you also feel that the bass section's scaling is all screwed up? Just listen to the guy "tap tap tap"-ing through the card board on the bass strings. Don't you think they could have gotten a deeper, fuller, more resonant bass tone had they just gone with a lower tension scale?

And, all those palms and fingers on the strings -- don't they know that all that touching will tarnish the bass strings? Dang, these "artists" really don't know much about piano. What a shame, what a shame.

( ;\) \:D )
Posted by: Grandpianoman

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/13/06 07:08 PM

No, no no no no.....we must not forget the ommission of the Standwood-ie system...this is why it sounded like it did.

Gpman
Posted by: jollyroger

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/13/06 09:11 PM

John Cage finally has rivals! Well, at least they didn't drop the piano off a building when they finished. :rolleyes:

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/13/06 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus ( on 2004-10-26 ):

Piano Suite by Axtremus

1. "Piano Diving[/b]" -- Just push a piano off a cliff or diving platform.
  2. "Piano Explosion[/b]" -- stick dynamite in piano and blow it up.
  3. "Piano Collision[/b]," music for two pianos, eight hands -- put two pianos separately on two spider dollies, on a level surface 100 feet apart. Pianists are to push the pianos towards one another as fast and as hard as they can and let the pianos collide. Repeat until exhaustion or until the pianos completely fall apart.
  4. "Piano Target[/b]" -- spray the piano with bullets using the pianist's semi-automatic assault rifle or machine gun of choice.
  5. "Piano Catapult[/b]" -- put piano on catapult and hurl it with the catapult.
  6. "Piano Drop[/b]" -- fit as many pianos as possible on large cargo airplane(s), fly the airplane(s) and drop the pianos from 10,000 feet (or higher) in the air.
  7. "Piano Bungee[/b]" -- Tie piano to extra strong bungee cord, push it off a bridge and bungee! (Optional: Tie pianist to piano.[/b])

As the composer, I prefer Bösendorfer 9'6" Imperial for #1, Estonia 9' Concert Grand for #3, Grotrian-Steinweg 9' Concert Royale for #5, Steinway 9' Model D for #7, and M&H 9'4" CC for everything else.
Posted by: Matthew Collett

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/14/06 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
As the composer, I prefer Bösendorfer 9'6" Imperial for #1, Estonia 9' Concert Grand for #3, Grotrian-Steinweg 9' Concert Royale for #5, Steinway 9' Model D for #7, and M&H 9'4" CC for everything else. [/b]
Wot, no Fazioli?

Re: The ULTIMATE PIANO PERFORMANCE - 03/14/06 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Collett:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
As the composer, I prefer Bösendorfer 9'6" Imperial for #1, Estonia 9' Concert Grand for #3, Grotrian-Steinweg 9' Concert Royale for #5, Steinway 9' Model D for #7, and M&H 9'4" CC for everything else.
Wot, no Fazioli?
Personal preference aside, all the pianos were chosen for good technical reasons. While the Fazioli F-278 is a nice piano, it has nothing distinctive that makes it any more suitable than the other pianos for my Piano Suite (and I'd say the same for Yamaha CF and Baldwin SD-10). In theory, I think the Fazioli 308 can replace the Bösendorfer Imperial for #1, but I am reluctant to trust a piano that I have yet to see one myself. So Fazioli just has to sit this one out at the moment.