My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench!

Posted by: shaolin95

My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/11/13 11:12 PM

Hello!
I finally was able to get bench that matches my piano much better than the black one.
I wanted a step up in quality, looks and just to match the piano finish.
Thanks to my good friend Minnesota Marty , I got exactly what I wanted.
I almost went with a cheaper one but I am glad I did not.
This is not an expensive bench compared to other "high end" ones but I feel is a great alternative for people that want something better than entry level yet do not want to jump into a very expensive one.
I cannot say anything about how long it will last but at least I am impressed with what I see so far.
In normal living room lightning, the colors look closer than when the flash hits it.

Pros:
*Looks great!

*Feels solid and well built.

*Affordable.

*Easy to put together.

*Very comfortable (that part I was not even considering)

*No noises at all (thanks to Marty's tips on that!)

*The height is just about perfect and I love that I dont get the horrible look of mine when it is adjusted showing all the metal parts.

Cons:

*No Storage place..that was sad smirk

So, it gets my seal of approval if anyone wants to try it!
And of course...now follows my usual photo show laugh
Thanks!

Posted by: Almaviva

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 01:03 AM

It looks very nice, Shaolin. It matches your piano's color quite closely.

By the way, what is the make and model of your grand? I've never seen a piano in that burgundy/chocolate color before.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 01:11 AM

It is a Young Chang Y185 and is it is Red Mahogany but it is very dark and I love it..just not easy to find close matches to it. smile
Thanks!
Posted by: PattyP

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 07:52 AM

Wow, and wow! What a gorgeous setting you have made for yourself, shaolin. Well done!

The new bench looks beautiful and comfy. Where did you get it? The bench that came with my Kawai CP209 is okay but when I lean too far to the treble, it gives a decided, *grooaan*! (Probably bearing too much weight. blush ) Very annoying, and usually breaks my concentration and "mood".
Posted by: Ed Foote

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 08:19 AM

Greetings,
Looks good, but the pictures that really tell the story are of the underside. Why not flip it over and show us what the mechanism looks like?
Regards,
Posted by: KurtZ

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 10:56 AM

Shaolin,

How are the auralex tiles working out? I would have put them closer to ear level when you're sitting at the piano but that's a small difference. Did you do anything to the BIG wall on the other side of the railing?

Kurt

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: PattyP
Wow, and wow! What a gorgeous setting you have made for yourself, shaolin. Well done!

The new bench looks beautiful and comfy. Where did you get it? The bench that came with my Kawai CP209 is okay but when I lean too far to the treble, it gives a decided, *grooaan*! (Probably bearing too much weight. blush ) Very annoying, and usually breaks my concentration and "mood".

I got it from here:
Bench Link

Thanks a lot for the kind words and yes, it makes me feel more relax when playing now.

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
Greetings,
Looks good, but the pictures that really tell the story are of the underside. Why not flip it over and show us what the mechanism looks like?
Regards,

Sure, I will add a picture shortly.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Shaolin,

How are the auralex tiles working out? I would have put them closer to ear level when you're sitting at the piano but that's a small difference. Did you do anything to the BIG wall on the other side of the railing?

Kurt

Well I am not sure if those are doing as much since the piano is opening to the other wall. But still, after I added it, I perceived an increase in clarity. Placebo? Who knows. smile
In one of the pictures you can see a black panel on that wall you mentioned..I have 3 of those now. Those are from my HT room and I could hear the difference right away...clearer sound for sure. My plan is to get the same 3 panels but in a better matching color although somehow I am not totally disliking the black.
I will add a pic showing them.
Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 01:02 PM

Nine months ago, I posted in a thread about benches, specifically Jansen. I had just purchased, unboxed, and assembled a Frederick bench which is identical to the one that Shaolin purchased. There was a lot of negative reaction about my choice. Let me add that I own two Jansen benches in addition to the Frederick. The implication was that it was a cheapo and wouldn't hold up.

My butt is on the bench daily for a minimum of four hours. It has been supporting a 6'2" guy who weighs in at 220 lbs. I have absolutely no complaints and have had no problems with it. No squeaks and no clicks. The vinyl shows no wear at all. Since I am the only one playing the piano, the mechanism on the bench hasn't been changed since the initial adjustment, though checking today, it works just fine.

Is it the same quality as a Jansen? No. Does it serve its purpose and look good doing it? Yes. Is a Kawai the same as a Steingraeber? No. Does a Kawai serve it's purpose well? Yes.

I just checked out the Jansen website and found something new listed. Looking very carefully and comparing the specs, it appears to be identical to the Frederick, but sold through Jansen. It is also more expensive that buying direct from Laabs Music.

Here is the quote from the Jansen site:

"We find this adjustable bench to be the best Chinese imported piano bench we've seen. While still not at the quality level of the American made Jansen Artist bench, in the $150-$400 price range, this is the number one bench on the market in our opinion, and we've seen nearly all that are available. In comparison to the other imports, it offers an extra thick and plush cushion, it is a larger bench in terms of it's dimensions, and above all it's a well constructed and attractive piano bench."

http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/concert_adjustablepianobench.html

So Shaolin, Enjoy your new bench and the room is looking great!

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/12/13 02:16 PM

Thanks for that information Marty and wow, that bench does look identical to mine but a lot more money for it! Good find smile

I added the picture showing the bench underside and the side panels on my wall as requested.

Regards
Posted by: hotcat

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 12:01 AM

Nice! What is the purpose of those things on the wall?

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: hotcat
Nice! What is the purpose of those things on the wall?

Those are acoustic foams (and the panels on the right wall) to control the room sound reflections so I get a clearer sound.
Posted by: Keith D Kerman

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty

Here is the quote from the Jansen site:

"We find this adjustable bench to be the best Chinese imported piano bench we've seen. While still not at the quality level of the American made Jansen Artist bench, in the $150-$400 price range, this is the number one bench on the market in our opinion, and we've seen nearly all that are available. In comparison to the other imports, it offers an extra thick and plush cushion, it is a larger bench in terms of it's dimensions, and above all it's a well constructed and attractive piano bench."

http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/concert_adjustablepianobench.html

Hey Marty,

That is not actually the Jansen site. It is a bench retail site. I am about 99.9% certain that the actual Jansen company would not endorse that product.
Here is the Jansen site: http://www.pljansen.com/

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 11:36 AM

How very bizarre!

I'm going to make a few phone calls to see if I can figure this out.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 12:18 PM

Now this got interesting! Lets see what they say now. smile
Posted by: Annitenth

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 08:14 PM

...I has been supporting a 6'2" guy who weighs in at 220 lbs

I hope that this is a typo referring to the bench and that you is not supporting that 6'2" guy. The food bill alone would kill you. smile

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 08:43 PM

OOPS! - I'll fix that.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 10:39 PM

The color's a great match for your (gorgeous) piano! I'd say you did very well indeed. smile

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/13/13 10:42 PM

Why thank you very much, Monica!
I am really happy how it is turning out and more to come. smile
Posted by: Almaviva

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/14/13 03:38 PM

How very bizarre!

I'm going to make a few phone calls to see if I can figure this out.

Marty,

I called the Jansen people in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. They don't sell stuff directly to consumers; laymen will have to buy from a Jansen dealer.

That website you are referring to is NOT Jansen's own website. Jansen sells their product to the Jansenpianobench.com website, who then sells it to consumers.

What makes this arrangement REALLY bizarre is that the name "Jansen" appears in the website name, yet the Jansen company does not own the website! This website also sells products that are NOT made by Jansen, yet gives the appearance of Paul Jensen endorsing these non-Jansen products.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/14/13 03:59 PM

Almaviva,

That's about what I found out. It seems that the Jansen company is not too bothered by this as the website sells lots of their products. They are very aware of other bench manufactures and didn't speak ill of any of them. They didn't counter the review of the Frederick bench as that was the statement of jansenpianobenches.com.

It all just makes me like my bench more! It's almost like a Mozart opera plot twist! Coloratura, any one?
Posted by: JeanieA

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/14/13 08:22 PM

Thanks for the review, shaolin! I just added this to my wish list on Amazon (you can add anything to that wish list - sold by Amazon or not) which is the default place my family goes to look for gifts for me!

Now if only my birthday or Christmas were coming up sooner.... wink

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/14/13 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanieA
Thanks for the review, shaolin! I just added this to my wish list on Amazon (you can add anything to that wish list - sold by Amazon or not) which is the default place my family goes to look for gifts for me!

Now if only my birthday or Christmas were coming up sooner.... wink

You are welcome and I hope someone picks it up for you! smile
Posted by: bmbutler

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/16/13 03:01 PM

I have had this same bench for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very sturdy, but (bad for me) also very heavy. Facing back surgery in July and having to sell it. If you live in Eastern NC, look it up on Craigslist. Hate to part with it, but I will not be able to lift it after surgery and for some time afterward.
Posted by: ando

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/16/13 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: bmbutler
I have had this same bench for about 6 months and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Very sturdy, but (bad for me) also very heavy. Facing back surgery in July and having to sell it. If you live in Eastern NC, look it up on Craigslist. Hate to part with it, but I will not be able to lift it after surgery and for some time afterward.

Just out of curiosity, why are you lifting your piano bench? Mine stays put pretty much all of the time. I might give it a nudge here or there, but no reason to ever lift it off the ground.
Posted by: hoola

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/16/13 05:33 PM

My ex-girlfriend's violin is always in the box, I think that it is better for the violin which is much more weather sensitive than the piano.
Posted by: Steven Y. A.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/16/13 05:43 PM

nice bench! i want one too laugh

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/16/13 05:50 PM

They are also available on eBay with an "or best offer" listing. There are a number of color and finish variations to choose from. They are marketed from Jim Laabs Music where Shaolin purchased his bench. Me too.
Posted by: John Pels

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/19/13 12:42 AM

I think that in a true comparison, it would be nice to have an inverted view of the Jansen side by side with the Frederick. The engineer in me says that there is a world of difference between the two benches in terms of the mechanism itself. Other than that, wood is wood and vinyl is vinyl. I hope it serves you for a long time.
Posted by: lilylady

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/19/13 06:48 AM

Your room is looking so nice now, Shaolin. I particularly like the new artwork on the stair walls! ha

made you smile

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 05/19/13 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Steven Y. A.
nice bench! i want one too laugh

haha thanks Steven! laugh
Originally Posted By: John Pels
I think that in a true comparison, it would be nice to have an inverted view of the Jansen side by side with the Frederick. The engineer in me says that there is a world of difference between the two benches in terms of the mechanism itself. Other than that, wood is wood and vinyl is vinyl. I hope it serves you for a long time.

Yeah that would be nice to see how it looks. Never seen one of those.

Originally Posted By: lilylady
Your room is looking so nice now, Shaolin. I particularly like the new artwork on the stair walls! ha

made you smile

Thanks, I stole them from my HT room laugh I must get some that match the rest of the decor soon, just wanetd to make sure they made a difference..and yes they do! laugh
Posted by: shepdave

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/18/13 07:51 PM

Just wanted to revive this thread to thank you all for starting it.

I just received my Frederick Concert Series Ebony Polished bench today. I was looking for a substantial adjustable bench for many hours of daily practice. However, I'm in no position to spend $650 on a Jansen. While searching through the forums here, I came upon the thread to which Minnesota Marty refers above.

He tells the truth: people gave him all kinds of friction for mentioning the Frederick benches. Basically the sense I got from a lot of folks on that thread was this: if you are going to get a good bench, you should either get a Jansen or not get anything at all. Well, a lot of folks just cannot spend that kind of money on a bench. The Frederick bench is sturdy and beautiful at a fraction of the cost. No, it's not a Jansen; and no, the mechanism underneath is not exactly the same as a Jansen. But it's a real artist bench with a very sturdy mechanism, and it's sitting in my piano room right now.

I think I saw in another thread some musings on the fact that the address of the Frederick piano bench company is the same as that of Jim Laabs Music in Stevens Point, Wisconsin--the dealer that sells the Frederick bench. Some folks thought that was weird, and that the Fredericks must be sub-standard because they're a Chinese-made house brand.

I have no problem with this at all, and here's why. My daughter, who is now in her mid-20s, studied violin rather seriously during her middle-school and high-school years. At some point it came time to upgrade her instrument from the beginner model she used in elementary school.

We went to a very well known violin shop in the Virginia suburbs of DC and inquired. They demonstrated--and eventually sold us--their "house brand" instrument. It's a fine violin, albeit not a Stradivarius. We couldn't spend tens of thousands of dollars on an instrument for an advancing student. So we spent $1,600 on this shop's house brand. My daughter is perfectly happy with it, and she plays it still.

Thanks, Marty, for mentioning these benches. I had a good experience with Laabs Music and I'm happy with the bench.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/18/13 08:03 PM

Hi Shepdave,

I still like mine and have no complaints at all. I think that Shaolin likes his, too. I'm sure you will enjoy yours, also.

Glad that the threads have been a help to you.

Do you want to show it off with a photo?
Posted by: laguna_greg

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/18/13 10:46 PM

I have to say, Marty,

That at that price, it's almost too good to be true. If it lasts longer than 3 years, you came out ahead.

the last time I bought a bench 20 years ago, it cost $600. Yes, I still have it, and I weigh about 200# at 6'1".
Posted by: Steven Y. A.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/20/13 12:27 AM

look shaolin, they linked this thread lol
http://www.jimlaabsmusic.com/piano-benches-chairs/cat_19.html
Posted by: Norbert

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/20/13 01:06 AM

Never mind the bench.

Let's straighten out the piano casters first, then look at bench again.

Plus piano - "gorgeous"

Norbert thumb
Posted by: Allan W.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/20/13 02:28 AM

That's hilarious. But they asked you for permission first, right?
Posted by: kpembrook

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/21/13 02:17 AM

Hi Shepdave,

I still like mine and have no complaints at all. I think that Shaolin likes his, too. I'm sure you will enjoy yours, also.

I'd like to see a photo taken with the bench turned upside down. What does it look like inside?
Posted by: shepdave

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 07/21/13 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: kpembrook
I'd like to see a photo taken with the bench turned upside down. What does it look like inside?

See the photos Shaolin posted along with the original post of this thread. He has one of the mechanism with the bench upside down. I took a careful look at that photo before deciding to buy.

Basically the mechanism is like a scissor-jack, such as you might use for your car. It seems quite sturdy to me.
Posted by: Rudy99golf

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 08/16/13 08:28 PM

Shaolin,
Great looking room, great looking piano, and the bench just looks it belongs to this piano.
Congrats on finding something that matches perfectly your piano.
I bet you even enjoy more your piano playing. (yeah, we tend to do that by enjoying little or big things that look nice in or around our piano).
I wish someday I will find such a bench that matches this good my own piano.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 08/17/13 02:42 AM

Hi Shepdave,

I sure do love mine indeed and thanks again for your recommendation. I have not been posting as much and missed all this comments..Dont have as much free time so I try to use it to play more than internet now laugh

OMG how did I miss that?! laugh They used my pics and quoted me, cool.

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Never mind the bench.

Let's straighten out the piano casters first, then look at bench again.

Plus piano - "gorgeous"

Norbert thumb

Thanks! smile

Originally Posted By: Allan W.

That's hilarious. But they asked you for permission first, right?

I provided them the link but nobody mentioned they will use my comments or pics for the website. I dont really mind it thought smile

Originally Posted By: Rudy99golf
Shaolin,
Great looking room, great looking piano, and the bench just looks it belongs to this piano.
Congrats on finding something that matches perfectly your piano.
I bet you even enjoy more your piano playing. (yeah, we tend to do that by enjoying little or big things that look nice in or around our piano).
I wish someday I will find such a bench that matches this good my own piano.

That is so true..like those small details around me somehow create a sense of balance of peacefulness or whatever you want to call it that just makes it more inviting to play longer and longer.
I hope you find one soon.
Thanks! smile
Posted by: leel

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 08/28/13 03:26 AM

I've also been looking for a bench & checked out the Frederick. There seems to be a newer, better(?) one for $269, and wonder if someone could tell me if the "new improved" version would be worth it.There is also an OSP bench for $329 that grandpianobench.com has. Yet again, a Woodmaster BN-1200 for $269.99 at vandaking.com, and it includes storage. As someone pretty new to all this, to say I'm confused is an understatement. Advice, please.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/05/13 07:44 PM

I go my tufted bench today, and I really like it. Nice finish to the legs and vinyl cushion both. Easy to put together , too. All the input from everyone helped my decision making. While I don't have a grand piano (I have a Yamaha P2) & I know an artist's bench is supposed to be for a grand, I think my tush deserves one. So there! laugh

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/05/13 07:49 PM

I go my tufted bench today. Well made & easy to put together, and the wood legs are nicely finished. Thanks for everyone's input to help my decisionmaking. While I know that an artit's bench is made for a grand piano and I don't have one (I have a Yamaha P2), I think my tush deserves it. So there! smile
Posted by: jc201306

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/06/13 02:00 AM

The issues with Chinese made furniture, based on my personal experience, are usually around the materials and the craftsmanship. I bought a set of sectional sofa about 9 years ago. It was made in China, and is as stylish as any made-in-USA sofa with a much higher price tag. However, with only moderate usage, it started to fall apart recently. Any furniture with decent quality ought to last more than just 9 years. At least that was my expectation.

I now own a Chinese made bench which came with my newly purchased piano. It looks just as sexy as a Jansen, but again, I do not know how long it will hold together.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/06/13 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: leel
I go my tufted bench today. Well made & easy to put together, and the wood legs are nicely finished. Thanks for everyone's input to help my decisionmaking. While I know that an artit's bench is made for a grand piano and I don't have one (I have a Yamaha P2), I think my tush deserves it. So there! smile

That was funny! laugh
Congrats and I hope it lasts you a long time. I love mine!

PS I was referring to the bench btw lol

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/06/13 04:29 PM

Well, Um, Er, Ah, - I hope your tush lasts a long time too!

Congratulations!
Posted by: JoelW

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/07/13 09:20 PM

I bought this a few months ago (in black).

It sure beats the heck out of the standard Yamaha bench. sick

It's the best thing under a real concert bench. It's worth the buy.
Posted by: Caowner2013

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/08/13 01:18 AM

We are in need of a duet bench and found the following pictures:
http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/images/j3mechanism.gif
http://www.jansenpianobenches.com/images/walnut-artist-bench-lift-mechanism.jpg
Posted by: Piano RX

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/08/13 10:49 AM

Originally Posted By: shaolin95
Thanks for that information Marty and wow, that bench does look identical to mine but a lot more money for it! Good find smile

I added the picture showing the bench underside and the side panels on my wall as requested.

Regards

Shaolin95,

Looking at both ads for the bench I am reminded of the rather clever commercial that Crickett (cell phone service) has been running...

The subjects are asked if they want a $10 ride in a hansom cab or a $20 ride. "Does the $20 ride go further?" asks the subjects. "No" replies the driver, "you just pay more... so which do you want?" Duhhh...

I made the mistake of choosing a different import for just over $200 because it had storage. It was great for a month then got so noisy I can't use it even after lubricating and making sure all the joint were tight. I just ordered your bench in polished ebony. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Oh, may I ask where you purchaed the acoustical panels? They are attractive as well as funtional.

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/08/13 11:44 AM

I am glad you like the bench! Not having a storage is my only sad point with it but other than that I love it too.
The black panels I got them from GIK Acoustics. I got them when they were sort of starting (I was working at an Online Speakers company at the time) but now they have tons of options with cool designs etc.
The ones behind the piano, those foamy ones were from Amazon. I can get the link if you meant those.
Thanks!

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/08/13 11:49 AM

Shaolin,

Did you ever think that you would become The Bench Dude?

grin
Posted by: Piano RX

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/08/13 12:00 PM

Thanks "Bench Dude"... laugh

I found them on Amazon and will visit GIK as well. You really did a great job on the functional decorating of your piano space!

Re: My new Frederick Adjustable Concert Series Tufted Bench! - 09/08/13 02:58 PM

Shaolin,

Did you ever think that you would become The Bench Dude?

grin

No, this is such an honor! laugh
I am thinking of making it my official nickname for this forum. lol

Originally Posted By: PianoismyScrip
Thanks "Bench Dude"... laugh

I found them on Amazon and will visit GIK as well. You really did a great job on the functional decorating of your piano space!

Why thank you. My friend Minnesota Marty helped me a ton to make my room look a lot better than what I started with! smile