new music desk?

Posted by: Radio.Octave

new music desk? - 07/26/13 09:46 AM

Is it possible to replace the music desk on a Kawai piano with an "aftermarket" one? I kind of like the open style desks, instead of the typical solid ones. Something like this, but maybe not as ornate...

Posted by: Minnesota Marty

Re: new music desk? - 07/26/13 10:11 AM

Hi R.O,

Sure it's possible, and not all that unusual. Doing some googling will give you many options and I'm sure that the pro-rebuilders will have some suggestions.

It doesn't sound like you need a full music desk, just a replacement "splat," in furniture terms. Suppliers have stock options or you could have a custom designed fretwork piece built to your liking. It could be easily crafted to fit the dimensions, and even hinge locations, to install in your existing music desk.

Here is a company which specializes in this type of replacement and may give you a start on how you want to proceed.

http://perrypiano.com/Parts_and_Manufacturing.html

Good luck and have fun with your artistic quest.
Posted by: Nash. Piano Rescue

Re: new music desk? - 07/26/13 10:34 AM

You can have a blank cut by anyone with a CNC router ( like a wood sign makers shop). The art-work is up loaded and within 45 minutes and the part is cut out. It may not be cheap because shops do like to recover the expense of the machines which is 10 - 60K depending on size.

They can also be hand cut with a nice scroll saw and trimmed out with files but it takes a day to do them. Cabinet grade plywood then has to be grain filled and toned to match the main surfaces
Posted by: Radio.Octave

Re: new music desk? - 07/26/13 10:45 AM

Thanks, I will check out those options. I think the open-style desk would look nice from a visual standpoint, and also maybe let more of the sound come through to the player.