75 Pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston

Posted by: Piano World

75 Pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston - 09/04/13 07:48 AM

I remember when they did this in Florida, but that was only 10 pianos. I found and played all 10 (story and picts here: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1305647/).

If you end up finding and playing some of the 75, please post pictures and stories on our forums. Kathy and I will no doubt explore for some of them.

© Boston.com

75 pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston for anyone to play

Posted by Matt Rocheleau September 3, 2013 12:45 PM

Allston Brighton, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Brookline, Cambridge, Charlestown, Dorchester, Downtown, East Boston, Fenway-Kenmore, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, North End, Roslindale, Roxbury, Somerville, South Boston, South End, West Roxbury
75 pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston for anyone to play
Posted by Matt Rocheleau September 3, 2013 12:45 PM

By Matt Rocheleau, Town Correspondent

This fall, 75 pianos will be installed in public locations across Boston, Brookline, Cambridge and Somerville available for anyone to play.

The “Street Pianos Boston: Play Me I’m Yours” public piano installation by British artist Luke Jerram will commemorate the 75th season of the Celebrity Series of Boston, which has brought orchestras, chamber ensembles, vocal, piano and jazz musicians, dance companies, and other performers to Boston concert halls since it was founded in 1938 by pianist and impresario Aaron Richmond.

The pianos will be hosted from Friday, Sept. 27 through Monday, Oct. 14, by dozens of local partners, including the City of Boston, the Rose Kennedy Greenway, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Arts Academy, Harvard Office of the Arts and the Prudential Center

Local artists and community-based organizations will decorate the pianos. The Celebrity Series of Boston will also schedule several solo and ensemble performances.

Jerram’s "Play Me, I'm Yours" public artwork has been touring internationally since 2008. More than 1,000 pianos have been installed, reaching some four million people across 37 cities worldwide, organizers said.

"I want to congratulate Celebrity Series of Boston on 75 years of bringing the world's greatest performing artists to our city," Mayor Thomas M. Menino said in a statement. "The public piano festival, ‘Play Me I'm Yours,’ will give residents and visitors a chance to make music in the streets of Boston through this exciting public art installation.”

The exact locations of the pianos will be announced in mid-September. Organizers plan to encourage people to upload and share videos, photos and comments about the installation. A party to kickoff the 75th season of the Celebrity Series and to celebrate the piano installations is scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 5 at the Galleria at 10 St. James Avenue.

"I’m thrilled to work with the City of Boston and our partner organizations to bring this public event to life," said Gary Dunning, Celebrity Series President and Executive Director. "Bringing music to Boston is the core mission of the Celebrity Series, and we thank the Mayor and his offices for their support of Play Me, I’m Yours."

For more information, visit celebrityseries.org or streetpianos.com/boston2013.

E-mail Matt Rocheleau at mjrochele@gmail.com.

Posted by: HalfStep

Re: 75 Pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston - 09/05/13 12:08 AM

Awesome!
Posted by: pyropaul

Re: 75 Pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston - 09/05/13 09:48 AM

Montreal has them too (this is the 2nd year) http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/portal/page?_pageid=7297,99183570&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Posted by: peekay

Re: 75 Pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston - 09/05/13 12:40 PM

Awesome! We had those ""Play Me, I'm Yours" pianos here last summer in Toronto. People really enjoyed playing & listening to them.
Posted by: RyanDavidDwyer

Re: 75 Pianos to be installed in public spots around Boston - 09/14/13 12:25 AM

Congrats! Amazing.