Palatino brand uprights

Posted by: kkohl

Palatino brand uprights - 07/01/05 06:45 PM

We put a deposit on a Palatino piano today to lock in a sales price. We have until Sunday to make a final decision. The piano looks great and has a nice sound, but we can't find any information, ratings, or reviews on this new brand. What can anyone tell us?
Posted by: JRoss1461

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/01/05 08:31 PM

What model? grand or upright.
Posted by: Piano Peddler

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/01/05 08:55 PM

Posted by: Axtremus

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/01/05 09:07 PM

kkohl,

To my knowledge, in thie Forum, there is only one dealer-member who represents the Palatino brand. Do a " search " on this Forum for the "Palatino" keyword for posts by "Paul Y" and you might find some writing about Palatino. "Paul Y" is the only dealer here who sells the Palatino brand and is so far the only one who seems to have experience with it and have written about it here.

Generally, the common advise is for people to take their time to comparison-shop, play many different pianos before deciding, and not plunge into a purchase too quickly.

Good luck.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/02/05 06:29 AM

We are looking at the upright - no room for a grand.
Posted by: Paul Y

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/02/05 06:41 AM

kkohl,

Ax is correct in suggesting my company represents Palatino. It is fairly new to us and we took it on as a replacement for Pearl River.

It represents a lot of piano for the money in our estimation! We have primarily featured the 48" "professional upright" as an alternative to those who do not wish to spend many thousands above their pricing but want the volume and bigger sound of, let's say, the Yamaha U1.

A plus: the polished mahogany (normally $1,000 extra on a Yamaha) is the same price as the polished ebony.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/02/05 07:07 AM

Thanks to those who have replied so far. To me, the Palatino (yes, mahogany) had a richer sound than the Baldwin/Hamilton. I don't want to jump into anything too quickly, but we have tried many brands I believe, and this one seems to stand out.
WE HAVE UNTIL TOMORROW, SO PLEASE KEEP RESPONDING!
Posted by: Paul Y

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/02/05 09:37 AM

Kkohl,

You are right not to jump into anything too quickly. But you have already decided that you like the sound better than the Baldwin sound, so it doesn't matter what name appears on the fallboard! Besides, choosing Palatino over Baldwin saves you literally thousands of dollars!

Is it a Yamaha? Certainly not. Is it a Steinway? Certainly not. But it is not priced like those pianos either! As I said before, for the money, it must be rated as a "best buy"!
Posted by: Albanypark38

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/02/05 01:19 PM

kkohl

If it looks like a piano and sounds like a piano, then it is a piano. If you like the sound and the finish and the service you get form the dealer, then do not hesitate.
Posted by: Benecs

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/02/05 03:59 PM

Well, I tested both the Palatino and Pearl River, and liked the Pearl River much better. But I have to add, that while the Pearl River was prepared well, the palatino wasn't. That way it's hard to make an objective picture of the piano.

Good luck!
Posted by: Albanypark38

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/02/05 09:16 PM

k kohl

I have found in my experience that the way the piano is prepped before you receive it is the key.
If the technician in the store adopts the piano as his own and loves what he does then, then the piano belongs to you. Don't we buy pianos for what is sounds like and what it looks like? Before we get into too much information overload, try not to become too analytical. Isn't the Palatino considered to be one of the up and coming Chinese brands, according to Mr. Fine?
Posted by: ellll

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/03/05 04:08 AM

I wonder if the Palatino can be superior to Pearl River....or others..

Palatino is made from components from around the world, by an old instrument maker, I think in shanghai...soundboard,case,strings,action...etc..all coming from somewhere else, and assembled at Palatino...

Short list of some Chinese pianos...:

Steigerman. Maddison, Taishan, Saganhaft, Brentwood, Pearl River, Strauss, Ritmuller, Kranach, Bach, Fandrich,Steck, Eavestaff....

John Cont

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/03/05 04:18 AM

Just ran a check...

Palatino...Made in Shanghai. Growing reputation.

Regards, John Cont
Posted by: RMAC

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/03/05 11:44 AM

Posted by: transpsych

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/03/05 11:53 AM

There are two pianos with the name hamilton. The first being BALDWIN HAMILTON- this piano will say Baldwin on the fall board (Hamilton is the series) this line is the old Baldwin Standard(45" Studios) model 243, and the 5000 series(designer cabinets) these are made in Truman Arkansas.
The other being HAMILTON (inside says: a product of Baldwin), this piano is made in China.
Posted by: tyrri

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/03/05 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by c18cont:
I wonder if the Palatino can be superior to Pearl River....or others..

Palatino is made from components from around the world, by an old instrument maker, I think in shanghai...soundboard,case,strings,action...etc..all coming from somewhere else, and assembled at Palatino...

Steigerman. Maddison, Taishan, Saganhaft, Brentwood, Pearl River, Strauss, Ritmuller, Kranach, Bach, Fandrich,Steck, Eavestaff....

John Cont [/b]
A month ago I made a list of Chinese piano manufacturers (not "house brands") - I am however not sure of from which of the 4 Shanghai factories Palatino comes from.. (Artfield, maybe..?)
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/10810.html#000000

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/04/05 05:51 AM

Indeed,

Thanks, Tyrri, for the update, sorry, that as a new poster I missed it...It does well to help me identify some of the factory locations, which seem to be "all over..." \:\)

John
Posted by: Del

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/04/05 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kkohl:
We put a deposit on a Palatino piano today to lock in a sales price. We have until Sunday to make a final decision. The piano looks great and has a nice sound, but we can't find any information, ratings, or reviews on this new brand. What can anyone tell us? [/b]
To "lock in the price?" Is somebody implying that if you don't sign up by Sunday you might have to pay more? I've heard of this sales ploy being used with really high turnover products (like down at Uncle Joe's SuperDuper Used Cars) but on a piano????

Sigh.

Del
Posted by: Del

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/04/05 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by c18cont:

Steigerman. Maddison, Taishan, Saganhaft, Brentwood, Pearl River, Strauss, Ritmuller, Kranach, Bach, Fandrich, Steck, Eavestaff....

John Cont [/b]
Make that "Fandrich & Sons" if you don't mind. We're working on the new Fandrich grand piano and it won't be made in China. Fandrich & Sons and Fandrich Piano Co. are two different organizations.

Del
Posted by: George K

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/04/05 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Del:
We're working on the new Fandrich grand piano and it won't be made in China.
Tell me more!
Tell me more!
Tell me more!
Tell me more!

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/04/05 02:52 PM

Thanks again, Del,

For info on the new instrument...I have it bookmarked.

John Cont
Posted by: JRoss1461

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/05/05 03:17 PM

KKohl, Did you buy the Piano? Pictures please.
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 07/05/05 04:08 PM

Anybody saying anything *good* about Chinese pianos who now carries them himself, now stands a distinct chance of having his posts pulled.

For *advertising*......

Of course the Chinese may one day decide to buy this website.

Perhaps at that time, we will have *freedom of speech* in this country once again..... \:D

norbert
Posted by: Grayson73

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/16/06 12:13 AM

Any updates on these a year later? Let's turn this into the official Palatino Owners thread \:\)
Posted by: Roy123

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/16/06 04:43 PM

I wandered past a Palatino vertical when exiting a piano store, and played it for all of 20 seconds. My initial impression was quite positive given its very low price.
Posted by: byebye

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/18/06 01:07 PM

Here is John Cordogan's take on the Palatino:

http://www.cordogans.com/palatino.htm
Posted by: pianoguru

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/06/07 02:09 PM

Regarding Palatino upright pianos.......they are among the best uprights for the price around......like em better than Pearl River, Hamilton, and others priced in a similar manner. I like the bright bold sound of them.....I also like the action on them,.....solid...........hope this helps...........

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/06/07 02:50 PM

To my knowldege, Palatinos are built by a number of different makers in China with even Hailun chipping in some parts or components.

Norbert
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/06/07 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Albanypark38:
kkohl

If it looks like a piano and sounds like a piano, then it is a piano. If you like the sound and the finish and the service you get form the dealer, then do not hesitate. [/b]
I wouldn't be so hasty.

It matter whether or not it will look and sound like a piano in 10 years...20 years.

Durability is a major factor to consider when buying a piano.

Pass on this one until you've got more information. The "sale" price will likely still be available.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/06/07 03:41 PM

Quote:
If it looks like a piano and sounds like a piano, then it is a piano. If you like the sound and the finish and the service you get form the dealer, then do not hesitate.
Agreed.

Here's another one:

Quote:
"If it looks like a piano and still sounds like one - but not nearly as good as when new - then it is a piano."
Interesting who one could all pack possibly into that kind of category.....

Norbert \:o
Posted by: asd123321

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/06/07 09:50 PM

If it was recommended by Larry Fine and has a 10 year warranty, why worry?
Posted by: turandot

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/06/07 11:36 PM

To me it's one of the more attractive Chinese low-priced uprights. It has a nice sound. How long it lasts will depend a lot on how it's taken care of and how much daily use it gets. If you are more interested in something that plays well 50 years from now than something that plays well now, it is probably not the piano for you.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 10/07/07 12:18 AM

pianoguru's first post here said:

Quote:
Regarding Palatino upright pianos.......they are among the best uprights for the price around......like em better than Pearl River, Hamilton, and others priced in a similar manner. I like the bright bold sound of them.....I also like the action on them,.....solid...........hope this helps...........
Holy smokes, just realize this is someone posting *new* and is in reality resurrecting quite suspiciously a thread from way back in 2005!!

Thought this was a *customer* asking - nice try anyways......

OUCH!!

"Almost got into your mesh - Mr.Fresch!!" \:D

Norbert \:o
Posted by: AndrewF

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 12/03/07 01:41 PM

Why not anyone mention Perzina? I guess it is also a Chinese make piano and might be the best among them?

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 12/03/07 04:39 PM

from AndrewF
 Quote:
Why not anyone mention Perzina?
You did, so that's taken care of.

This thread is now two years and four months old.
Steve Cohen has now responded to Albanypark's post of July 2, 2005....

"If it looks like a piano and sounds like a piano, then it is a piano."

....by saying on Oct. 6, 2007

"I wouldn't be so hasty."

Apparently, Steve lives up to his words. \:D

AndrewF is right. This one should take the exit to Perzinaville.
Posted by: FrankieB

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 12/03/07 07:30 PM

Hi: In support of a deposit. some times a piano in stock, has a lower cost. Replacement cost can sometimes be a lot higher to the dealer, which gets passed on to the consumer. Second a second model of the same piano may have a different personality. As long as a deposit is refundable
( should be written on buyers form ) In my opinion I think it's OK. I found the palatina piano to be nice, for its price point
Posted by: diinin

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 12/03/07 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by turandot:
This thread is now two years and four months old.
Steve Cohen has now responded to Albanypark's post of July 2, 2005....

"If it looks like a piano and sounds like a piano, then it is a piano."

....by saying on Oct. 6, 2007

"I wouldn't be so hasty."

Apparently, Steve lives up to his words. \:D
[/b]
----------ROTFL!!!!!! \:D ------------ [/b]

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/23/10 08:23 PM

UPDATE:

The thread intrigued me ever since as I always assumed Hailun was involved building stuff for others.

To be frank as Hailun dealer, I was not not overly happy with this situation.

RECENT REVELATIONS AND FACTS:

Hailun years ago did supply plate and strung backs for one of Palatino's piano [123] - but no longer *does*.

According to Hailun representatives wich is the point I am trying to make, there is no relationship or OEM agreement between Hailun and Palatino at this time.

Who exactly is involved with manufacturing Palatino pianos at this time is for Palatino to reveal: the pianos appear to be distributed by a company called AXL.

http://www.axlmusic.com/

AXL offers a number of products in conjunction with 18 other companies this, according to their own website]

http://www.axlmusic.com/aboutus.html

The basic point and to be clear, Hailun is no longer involved.

Norbert

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/23/10 09:25 PM

What a fun thread and fun post from you, Norbert!

In July of 2005 Paul Y confided that a Palatino was not a Yamaha. Now in August, 2010 you have broken new ground in revealing that a Palatino is not a Hailun either! grin

Just a hypothetical...

What if Hailun supplied strungbakcs to Parsons in Xichang who in turn used those strungbacks to fill Palatino orders for AXL (as well as Brodmann orders for the noted Viennese maker Joe Brodmann grin ). Would there in that case be "no relationship or OEM agreement between Hailun and Palatino at this time?"

BTW,if you found a Hailun strungback in one of your Brodmann verticals, would you also be "not overly happy"? (Also just a hypothetical, of course.) grin

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/23/10 09:32 PM

Tur:

My post wasn't so much about Palatino as it was about Hailun.

Went miles to get the record straight..

Norbert

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/23/10 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Tur:

If confused, there's always Ritmueller....

Norbert grin

It's a nice piano, but I don't trust Pearl either. They've got their fingers in most of thoes nice house brands in European shops and they've gone and branded the Rits as Kaysenburg in Asia!

I tell you...who can you trust these days? grin

Maybe go with China Baldwin. From what I hear, DongBei Dolly isn't getting around as much these days.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/23/10 10:17 PM

I think some of the top Chinese makers starting to realize that vague or eggagerated claims doesn't sell.

Reputation ags to be *earned* and I think we're increasingly seeing more trying very hard in that particular respect.

If some of the Chinese realize the benefit of hiring certain top guns putting their own investment $$ to it - so be it.

Nobody needs to be ashamed of hiring some of the calibre of Frank Emerson, Rodolph Ibach or Lothar Thomma.

Perhaps this will give some of these guys a real chance actually building a world class piano, a piano that can and will seriously compete against others.

Understanding of things can only be gained by knowing "who is doing what" - requiring as much transparency as possible.

This transparency is increasingly harder to come by be it those Euros building in other countries with Chinese supplied parts, *Japanese pianos* being built or pre-built in China, or the Chinese themselves with some endlessly copying the other.

Ironically it could be some of the top Chinese makers today turning out to be 'most trustworthy' - after all they are proud to advertise or at least tell us who is working for them and where exactly their stuff is being made.

Certainly not to be said for everybody else out there....

Norbert
Posted by: Oblacone

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 02:47 AM

So...did the OP buy the piano?
Posted by: gnuboi

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 03:23 AM

I've briefly played Palatino. Not bad at all.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 09:18 AM

And the hyping of Hailun by Norbert continues....

Also, conveniently omitted from the list of high-caliber designers was Del Fandrich. [Oh yea, the best know here on PW, but he designs for Young Chang one of Hailun's biggest competitors.]

So much for going miles to set the record straight.

Norbert, can you document a worsening in Palatino's performance?

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen

Oh, I don't know about hype. Campaigning for transparencyin sourcing, regardless of the narrow focus of this campaign grin), is different from hype.

I think you're missing the point here. Norbert posted:

Quote:
"RECENT REVELATIONS AND FACTS:

Hailun years ago did supply plate and strung backs for one of Palatino's piano [123] - but no longer *does*.

The fact that Hailun was involved at that time may also very well have caused Palatino's current ratings by Larry Fine."

That's an alarming inference. One assumes that Larry Fine does his homework and that he doesn't base his impressions or ratings on a rumored link between one Chinese 'maker' and another Chinese maker/supplier, particularly when the rumored link is old.

The latest Piano Buyer writeup on Palatino states personal experience with the Palatino brand. Larry Fine was at NAMM this year. Palatino showed at NAMM. One assumes that the current rating is based on that opportunity to personally evaluate the Palatino pianos, along with the reported experience of dealers and technicians.

It would probably be useful for you to set the record straight on the basis of the current Palatino rating.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: turandot
Originally Posted By: Steve Cohen

Oh, I don't know about hype. Campaigning for transparencyin sourcing, regardless of the narrow focus of this campaign grin), is different from hype.

I think you're missing the point here. Norbert posted:

Quote:
"RECENT REVELATIONS AND FACTS:

The fact that Hailun was involved at that time may also very well have caused Palatino's current ratings by Larry Fine."

That's an alarming inference. One assumes that Larry Fine does his homework and that he doesn't base his impressions or ratings on a rumored link between one Chinese 'maker' and another Chinese maker/supplier, particularly when the rumored link is old.

The latest Piano Buyer writeup on Palatino states personal experience with the Palatino brand. Larry Fine was at NAMM this year. Palatino showed at NAMM. One assumes that the current rating is based on that opportunity to personally evaluate the Palatino pianos, along with the reported experience of dealers and technicians.

It would probably be useful for you to set the record straight on the basis of the current Palatino rating.

Larry has contacted Hailun and, so far, is getting a slightly different story. Facts are being checked and will be reflected in Piano Buyer when appropriate. I will clarify here, as soon as we get the facts.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 10:46 AM

Why does it matter? Why is communication with Hailun necessary?

The current Piano Buyer writeup of Palatino states good qulaity control and factory preparation based on personal observation and dealer reports. There is no mention of Hailun.

Can't you simply confirm that personal observation and dealer reports are the basis of the current Palatino rating, and not some agreement with Hailun?

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: turandot
Why does it matter? Why is communication with Hailun necessary?

The current Piano Buyer writeup of Palatino states good qulaity control and factory preparation based on personal observation and dealer reports. There is no mention of Hailun.

Can't you simply confirm that personal observation and dealer reports are the basis of the current Palatino rating, and not some agreement with Hailun?

Yes, I can confirm that.

Re: Palatino brand uprights - 08/24/10 11:26 AM

My post was not about Palatino as such but simply to confirm the discontinued cooperation with Hailun.

This is the information I personally got from "high up" - if this is wrong or differs from what Larry Fine knows, I stand to be corrected.

As dealers for a brand we need to rely on the information that is given to us by company representatives - should this be incorrect there is a serious problem.

I certainly did not intend to "hype Hailun" in any of this, sorry if this impression was given.

Apologies also that I forgot to mention Dell and his newly designed lines of Young Chang, there are a few others as well.

If these new levels of quality are to be shared by others is totally up to the company who achieved it.

Again, in case of Hailun, I was specifically instructed this is no longer the case.

Norbert