Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Colleen05 Serial numbers - 12/22/13 08:25 PM
Hi, I'm looking at a Mathushek antique upright piano. What I think is the serial number is carved into the wood at the top under the top part that comes off. Is that normal? I'm trying to find the age but when I look up that number, there's nothing like it listed. In other words, the serial numbers for their pianos are all over the place so how would I go about finding the age? Why can't they make it easy for everyone and just put a date on it. Is it possible that number is something else? If so, where else would I look for a serial number? Also, on the front of the piano there looks to be a decal with the Mathushek name on it. Is that usual? Thank you very much.
Posted By: OperaTenor Re: Serial numbers - 12/22/13 08:49 PM
No, that isn't normal. On an upright, the serial number should be in the vicinity of the tuning pins, either stamped in the wood, through a hole in the plate, or stamped on the plate.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Colleen05 Re: Serial numbers - 12/22/13 11:48 PM
Thank you OperaTenor, so do you think it's not the serial number and it's some other number? Why wouldn't it be where you say?
Posted By: OperaTenor Re: Serial numbers - 12/23/13 04:12 AM
Can you post a photo of the number?
Posted By: Chris Leslie Re: Serial numbers - 12/23/13 09:28 AM
Some, if not many, old non-American pianos manufacturers have their serial numbers stamped into the wood at the top end of the side panels. Most american pianos appear to have their serial numbers on the plate, and commonly in a hole in the plate.
Posted By: Silverwood Pianos Re: Serial numbers - 12/23/13 08:35 PM

Seems like the OP has located the cabinet code number which is usually 4 digits and found on all cabinet pieces so the components are not mixed up in the spray room or the varnishing and rubbing deck.

Mathushek numbers are all 5 digit from 1880 to the early 50’s
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums