Piano World Home Page
just heard Kurt Saphir piano store in chicago has officially closed down the business. It's kinda sad to see that we have one less dealer in the city. I thought the piano business is doing better but I guess it's not... :|
Originally Posted by RX2Bunny
just heard Kurt Saphir piano store in chicago has officially closed down the business. It's kinda sad to see that we have one less dealer in the city. I thought the piano business is doing better but I guess it's not... :|

Yes, I heard about this a few weeks ago. The piano market in Chicago is abysmal, but it is what it is.
This is no fun to hear. The Saphirs have always been upstanding dealers.
So I called Dennis Saphir last evening to pass on my good luck, good thoughts, and condolences on his closing. After speaking with him it was more about congratulations.

He is not at all closing because he HAS to, it isn't about bad business, in fact business wasn't bad for him at all.

He got an offer on his property, he would like more personal time, and he is retiring from retail only. His service business will remain active and strong.
That's good news, Rich. When I was going to school at Northwestern back in the late 1970s, I remember buying some scores at his store in Wilmette. It was a nice showroom.
That's good to hear and Rich, thanks for letting us know. Do u know what he did with his inventory? Does dealer usually liquidate at really deep discounted price? I'm no longer in market but just curious what the would do.

Good to hear business isn't all that bad as I would like to see Thomas at piano forte does well in his new store. He is a good guy and has so much passion in piano.
I stopped by his store a few wks before closing, he did liquidate his pianos. He had only a few grands left then. Nice guy.
One reason for building a business is to eventually sell it. Every business is for sale at the right price.
I was at the store in January as part of my "piano to die for" search, and talked pianos with Dennis for quite a while. He was very friendly, but I was frankly surprised by his lack of inventory and apparent lack of interest "reeling in" someone who was looking to drop $50,000+ on a piano.

Now I understand. Good luck, Dennis, if you see this, and I hope you found a home for that white C7!

Larry.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums