Blues scale fingering

Posted by: Tango

Blues scale fingering - 08/25/07 07:21 PM

Hello all.In the G Minor blues scale for example,the fingering for one octave is:1234,123 .But what fingering do I use if I want to play more than one octave.My 3rd finger end up on the next G.Do I slide my thumb(finger 1)up to the G where my 3rd finger was and begin again with this same fingering for as many octaves as I wish to play?If I use this technique,I have to be quick so as not to pause too long.Thank you,Linda
Posted by: pianobroker

Re: Blues scale fingering - 08/25/07 07:51 PM

Linda
I think you posted this in the wrong forum. But
since you're here, technically you're fingering is correct but why would you want to play this repetitive blues scale for octave upon octave.
You should make a conscious effort to not improvise in this regimented linear structure. That is the first sign of a noncreative improvisation is to play modally as opposed to playing againest the changes.
If you're going for this modal improvisation exclusively ,that is a different story (Miles Davis). I take it improvisation is a new endeavor for you from the basis of your question.
Try not to improvise in this manor (find a credible jazz piano teacher ,you're in New York Good luck!

Re: Blues scale fingering - 08/25/07 10:01 PM

After sitting at the piano.I take that back as for your fingering being correct. You should play 123 123 123 Forget the 4th finger if you are wanting to play this over several octaves but again why would you
Posted by: Vince in Vegas

Re: Blues scale fingering - 08/25/07 10:25 PM

Pbroker you play also? I thought you were a just purvayer of Steinway (and a few other good pianos). Cool!

Re: Blues scale fingering - 08/26/07 12:55 AM

Vince in Vegas
I played for 40+ years. I was a hired gun for many national artists throughout my career. I've played from the Kennedy Center to Philadelphia Spectrum and some not to great places in between.
It's hard to find quality time to actually practice,practice and not just play though I don't have a shortage of great pianos to play. After all who would buy a piano from someone that didn't play. Because of our pianos, I must say I deal with some of the most prominent Jazz and Classical artists. After all the musician especially needs a deal more than anyone.

Re: Blues scale fingering - 08/26/07 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:
Linda
since you're here, technically you're fingering is correct but why would you want to play this repetitive blues scale for octave upon octave.
You should make a conscious effort to not improvise in this regimented linear structure. That is the first sign of a noncreative improvisation is to play modally as opposed to playing againest the changes.
If you're going for this modal improvisation exclusively ,that is a different story (Miles Davis). I take it improvisation is a new endeavor for you from the basis of your question.
Try not to improvise in this manor (find a credible jazz piano teacher ,you're in New York Good luck! [/b]

Re: Blues scale fingering - 08/26/07 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pianobroker:
Linda
Try not to improvise in this manor (find a credible jazz piano teacher ,you're in New York Good luck! [/b]
Posted by: jazzwee

Re: Blues scale fingering - 08/27/07 06:41 AM

pianobroker has great jazz chops! I've heard it in person.

I too was wondering what the point of the question was as I can't think of any reason to play a "blues" scale as a scale. Thus having a fingering question did not make sense.
Posted by: Rodney

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/20/08 10:24 AM

I found this Blues scale fingering chart (excerpt from Metaphors For The Musician by Randy Halberstadt) which should answer your question.

http://www.shermusic.com/images/met_208.pdf

Rodney

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/20/08 05:53 PM

Thank you so very much Rodney.I made a copy of the chart.The chart is well laid out and I have never seen a chart like this,Tango
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/20/08 07:34 PM

I play by ear as a general rule, and I’ve been particularly interested in Blues piano lately. My favorite keys are C major and G major for blues.

I just wrote a neat blues tune called “Play it like you want to”. Maybe one of these days I will record it and post it on YouTube so you all can hear it \:D .

Best regards,

Rickster

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/21/08 04:32 PM

Rickster,I am self taught.In my opinion,your playing by ear is the best way to learn.When you can hear a tone,you will know it and learn it.Then you would'nt need a teacher or even the music.Yes,please let me know when you post your tune to My Space because I want to hear it.Can you send it to me hear as a link?Best regards,Tango

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/21/08 04:55 PM

Quote:
Rickster,I am self taught.In my opinion,your playing by ear is the best way to learn.When you can hear a tone,you will know it and learn it.Then you would'nt need a teacher or even the music.
Playing by ear is a great skill.Being able to read music is also a great skill. Just think of the unlimited sources of material available to you if you can do BOTH. The top A list studio session players,though improvisation may be called for have to be able to read no matter what type of music.
A great teacher is invaluble. While you're trying to figure it out on your own,a great teacher,not a great player can raise your proficiency level 10
times over. "I wish I practice what I preach" OH WELL!

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/21/08 05:14 PM

Thank you Pianbroker,Tango
Posted by: Kurtmen

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/21/08 06:17 PM

Hello Tango!

I have a slightly different approach to it.

Right Hand Ascending:1,2,3,4 switch back to 1,2,
switch back to 1,2,3,4. Descending should be the same going backward.
Remember as you improvise with the scale the notes order will completely change. Therefore as general rule I'll use 2 and 4 for the black keys while playing within the scale.
The combinations are unlimited one can argue that five could also work. However just to have a structure I’ll recommend you to practice with 2,4, on the black keys. \:\)
Posted by: Rickster

Re: Blues scale fingering - 03/21/08 06:18 PM

Hi Tango,

I’d love to play my blues tune for you when I get set up to record my playing. I would also love to hear you and piano-broker play. A good way to learn is to watch and hear others play. I have really enjoyed learning to play by ear, although my plans are to learn to sight read one day. I can sight read a little but I can usually rip out a tune I have heard before with good precision the first time around playing by ear (if there are not any sophisticated cord changes \:D ).

I’m having a boat load of fun learning to play the blues. Also, I like anything “Boogie-Woogie”. I also like old fashioned southern Gospel, 1950’s and 60’s rock (think Jerry Lee Lewis \:D ), classic country, pop, jazz and a little classical. I like anything Ray Charles and particularly “Georgia on my mind”. I play Georgia on my mind in F major.

Take care and best regards,

Rickster