Piano World Home Page
Posted By: MikeJon Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/01/07 09:47 PM
I am wondering the value of of piano, which I recently inherited. All I know is that it is a Brambach Baby Grand and that the serial number is 402989. The research I've done indicated that according to the serial number the piano was built in 1947. The piano is in good condition, not great, but easily restored to look brand new in my opinion (polishing, tuning). Does anyone know the value of this piano or have any ideas of what I can do with it. I don't not have the room for it so selling it would be ideal.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Posted By: GoatRider Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/01/07 09:51 PM
How it looks is really only a small part of the value of an old piano. What really matters is the condition of the working parts, and that can only be judged accurately by a technician. It's much more expensive to restore the inside of a piano.
Posted By: bitWrangler Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/01/07 09:54 PM
Head over to the PTG website and find a local tech to inspect the piano.
Posted By: MikeJon Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/01/07 09:55 PM
Thanks for the response GoatRider. I will have to admit that I don't know the condition of the working parts. All I can tell you is that everything seems to work fine, albeit not in tune.

I'm just looking for a ballpark number here. Any ideas? Am I looking at $100, $1,000, $5,000? What do you think?
Posted By: turandot Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/01/07 10:14 PM
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/466131200.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/fur/463723108.html

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAMBACH-BABY-G...376QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These will give you an idea of what people are asking . How much they get, or whether they sell at all is another matter.
Posted By: BDB Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/02/07 12:55 AM
Well under $1000. Brambach grands were cheap and not built to last.
Posted By: MikeJon Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/02/07 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone
It's probably worth around $500 - $1,000. Best of luck.
Posted By: Tom Tuner Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/02/07 06:02 PM
This probably does not apply in the present case, but pre-war Brambach grands have been suggested as being subject to plate breakage. Aside from that, they are just your basic, cheap, rubbishy baby grand.
Posted By: DonE Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/20/07 04:23 PM
Originally posted by MikeJon:
I am wondering the value of of piano, which I recently inherited. All I know is that it is a Brambach Baby Grand and that the serial number is 402989. The research I've done indicated that according to the serial number the piano was built in 1947. The piano is in good condition, not great, but easily restored to look brand new in my opinion (polishing, tuning). Does anyone know the value of this piano or have any ideas of what I can do with it. I don't not have the room for it so selling it would be ideal.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Posted By: DonE Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/20/07 04:29 PM
This might help asssessing the value of your Brambach - from BlueBookofPianos:

http://www.bluebookofpianos.com/kron2.htm

BRAMBACH

The developments of an instrument so individual in character as the Brambach grand piano present the accumulative existence of many generations; each generation adding to its heritage and pointing the way to further advancement in the art to which this family had been devoted. It was, therefore, natural that the products of the Brambach factories were supreme in musical quality and purity of tone. Correctly made, theoretically and mechanically, the grand piano manufactured by the Brambach Piano Co. was the embodiment of artistic grace and individuality of tone. Realizing that a small grand, of suitable size for the average home, would not only fill a popular demand but would bring within the range of the music lovers a rich and Mellow tone possessing the same brilliancy and singing quality as the larger grands, the Brambach Piano Co. had centered special efforts upon the smallest grand made in this country. Every Brambach Grand piano contained the exclusive patented Brambach Tone Expander and guaranteed soundboard. The Tone Expander released and greatly increased the volume of tone, producing a volume of tone that was usually found in large size grands. The Brambach Player Grand combined the piano and a player mechanism of unmatched quality.

Every attention necessary was given construction, for the cases, actions, hammers, etc., was constructed in these modern factories. The piano actions used in the Brambach Grands were made in their entirety in the Brambach plant and embody a number of their own patents. These actions were conceded to be remarkable for their ease, reputation and durability. Also, make Reproducing Grand pianos containing the Auto deluxe Welte-Mignon Reproducing action. Brambach grands are made in three sizes, 4 feet 8 inches, 5 feet, 5 inches, respectively.
Posted By: BDB Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/20/07 04:43 PM
That is advertising hype. They were cheap and poorly constructed.
Posted By: Supply Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/20/07 05:05 PM
Well, I've managed to crawl back onto my chair after my laughing fit on the floor. That description of Brambachs really needs to get framed, it should hang in every technician's shop. What a gas! That is the best one I've heard in a long time.

That "blue book" site is really a hoot, by the way. The way it reads, every no-name upright came to us directly from piano heaven....
Posted By: turandot Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/20/07 05:17 PM
Low marks for grammar, syntax and punctuation. But putting that aside, it would seem that the present generation of piano spinners could still learn something from the old-timers.
Posted By: RealPlayer Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 11/20/07 06:37 PM
"exclusive patented Brambach Tone Expander"

laugh laugh laugh

A Brambach baby grand was left in our present house by the previous owner. I am embarrassed to admit that I accepted money for it from a neighbor who wanted a piano. It was one of the worst pianos I have ever played.
Posted By: Jen Smith Re: Value of a Brambach Baby Grand Piano - 04/05/08 05:37 AM
Originally posted by BDB:
That is advertising hype. They were cheap and poorly constructed.
Wow! I didn't know the piano blue book site was so "un-objective". Subjective, I guess is the word. Interesting, thanks.

And thanks again for the opinions. I just saw an overpriced 70+ year-old Brambach on CL.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums