Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Alex Hernandez How many of you know about him? - 12/05/08 10:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzau4jOBlak

I hear a youthful brilliance in this performance.

Tragic he was here for so short a time.
Posted By: Horowitzian Re: How many of you know about him? - 12/05/08 11:32 PM
Great video. thumb

PS--You may get more attention on Pianist Corner. wink
Posted By: stanw909 Re: How many of you know about him? - 12/06/08 12:32 AM
Never heard of him.WoW.Thanks
Posted By: Numerian Re: How many of you know about him? - 12/06/08 12:54 AM
I didn't know of him. It's an interesting performance - maybe definitive - because the occasional poetic touches come through, and overall the piece is less percussive than the Horowitz original. It's always thought that the Horowitz version cannot be topped, because the sonata was written for him, especially the last movement fugue, which he suggested to Barber. But Horowitz can be a little harsh at times on his Steinway, though he and Judd are about equal in capturing the driving, propulsive emotion that is fundamental to the final movement.

I can never hear this twelve-tone sonata without marveling that it was commissioned by Richard Rodgers and Irving Berlin, who were as far removed from atonality as was possible.
Posted By: Rich Galassini Re: How many of you know about him? - 12/06/08 04:50 AM
Alex,

I knew nothing of him. Wow.

Thank you for sharing, brother!
Posted By: Silent Thoughts Re: How many of you know about him? - 12/06/08 02:32 PM
Judd is one of my favorites. He died at the age of 22, but the four CDs worth of his recordings are enough to place him among the very best who've ever been recorded.

He has an absolutely electrifying performance of Prokofiev's 3rd piano concerto, among numerous other top-notch recordings.

- Silence
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums