Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees

Posted by: Piano World

Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 10:10 AM

© The Trumann Democrat Online 02/06/08

Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees

By Ruth Ann Estes, Democrat news staff
In an effort to streamline its operations, Baldwin Piano, Inc. of Trumann laid off 34 employees last week. The company made the announcement of the job cuts on Monday, Jan. 28.

Baldwin Piano has been in Trumann for over 30 year building pianos for the United States market. Baldwin was acquired by Gibson Guitar Corporation in 2001.

The local staff changes came about because of the piano company’s decision to have the Trumann operation now focus solely on the prestigious Baldwin Custom line of American made pianos, according to Baldwin.

Employees who were let go in the reorganization of the Trumann operation received a severance package including six weeks salary and insurance coverage.

Information released last week by the company said that Baldwin’s decision to concentrate on the new Baldwin Custom House line resulted in reorganization at the Trumann plant “resulting in a reduction in workforce of 34 people.”

------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting that the article goes on to say that Baldwin is one of only two companies left still making pianos in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure Haverhill MA (Mason & Hamlin), and Queens NY (Steinway) are both still U.S. territories :-)

You can read The Rest of the Article Here
Posted by: Sir Lurksalot

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 10:18 AM

The article says "Baldwin is one of only two companies still producing pianos in the United States."

Hmmm. Steinway, M&H, Charles Walter, maybe Astin-Weight...
Posted by: Rod Verhnjak

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 12:14 PM

I look forward to seeing some of these special cabinets. I love art cases.

Sorry 34 people had to loose their jobs.
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 02:53 PM

When Henry bought Baldwin out of bankruptcy I likened it to "taking a helicopter to catch up with the Titanic."

The jury is still out, but IMO it will be an uphill battle to keep Baldwin afloat.
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 05:37 PM

Rod said:
 Quote:
[/b]

Rod,

I also love a well crafted art case, but the art cases that I have seen that were built by Baldwin are not the type of things that I normally consider an "art case". Check these out. I think you will see what I mean:

That last one has a picture of Frank Huffman in it. Darn, I miss you, Frank!
Posted by: kluurs

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 06:12 PM

what about their regular (plain black) 7 and 9 foot models???

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 06:23 PM

Rich,

I hear ya.

Not my thing, but if their is a market, I wish them luck. I bet some wealthy kids will love em.

I can't see dealers caring any, Baldhummers. \:D

As kluurs mentions are they going to continue the
L1 & S7 & SD's ???
Posted by: Del

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Piano World:
© The Trumann Democrat Online 02/06/08

Interesting that the article goes on to say that Baldwin is one of only two companies left still making pianos in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure Haverhill MA (Mason & Hamlin), and Queens NY (Steinway) are both still U.S. territories :-)

You can read The Rest of the Article Here [/b]
As is Indiana....

ddf
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 06:29 PM

\:D \:D
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/07/08 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Galassini:
Rod said:
 Quote:
[/b]

Rod,

I also love a well crafted art case, but the art cases that I have seen that were built by Baldwin are not the type of things that I normally consider an "art case". Check these out. I think you will see what I mean:

[/b]
Come on now Rich, you don't think their art case can compete with something like this?

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/08/08 12:18 AM

I think the Baldhummer has more class \:D

At least the kids in my sons class, think so.
Posted by: TX-Dennis

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/09/08 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kluurs:
what about their regular (plain black) 7 and 9 foot models??? [/b]
Quoting lb from another forum:

"It is my understanding that the standard Baldwin model features (black spade leg) will not be available unless custom ordered. The innards, the things that make a piano a piano, will go unchanged."

I find this terribly sad, but it was probably inevitable if their production is down to 500/year as stated in the article. Perhaps they are still producing uprights. There was no mention of them in the article. So, what happens to the Baldwin dealers, I wonder?
Posted by: Bob Newbie

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/09/08 02:18 PM

B11 chicken legs!(bingo) \:\)
Posted by: hotkeys

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/10/08 01:36 PM

I read the article and question the accuracy of the number of piano manufacturers in this country. If I am not mistaken, there are four companies that make the pianos in America, namely Baldwin, Steinway, Charles Walter and Mason and Hamlin.

However, I read in Larry Fine's latest update that the Kimball piano is making a comeback, after being bought out by a Brighton Music of Chicago. the company is now controlled by a local piano technician. They import the pieces from China and Europe and perform final assembly and detailing. Perhaps these 34 misplaced workers can find work in this new factory in Chicago.

-Mark
Posted by: Bob

Re: Baldwin Piano lays off 34 employees - 02/10/08 07:57 PM

And I thought The Baldwin grand was soon to be a Dongbei product. Silly me! Best of luck to the workers.