Piano World Home Page
Posted By: PianoStarz Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 01:34 AM
Well I'm saving up for a Yamaha Upright Piano, I'm really saving up, and I was wondering what are some good models, I want really nice tone like a grand piano. I fell in love with the Yamaha C1 Grand piano but I didn't fall in love with the price at $17,000. So I think a Yamaha Upright will be better than my piano that I have right now which is a Lester Betsy Ross, It is actually better than some other Betsy Ross's The parts were already replaced, But I do get frustrated with the waterfall keys it feels like I'm playing an organ (Which we do have one lol) So please any opinons on which Yamaha Upright Model is good. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Mark... Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 01:38 AM
How much is your budget? It would help.
Posted By: PianoStarz Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 01:43 AM
Oh Sorry lol I'm really trying to be lower than 4,000. I know I'm not made of money. and I can't afford a Steinway But i'm sure 4,000 can buy a pretty nice piano.
Posted By: Craigen Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 01:50 AM
In your budget range take a look at the new Yamaha T118. I can find no complaints with this one of the first of the Yamahas to come to the U.S. from their factory in China.
Posted By: PianoStarz Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 02:16 AM
Thanks any other suggestions? I'm writting them down so I can go over to the Yamaha dealer and test some of them out.
Posted By: Stevester Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 02:33 AM
See if you can find a slightly used U1 on craigslist or another such source. You might also want to look at Kawai as well, they build a solid piano. Look for their K series. Take your time and find something nice. By all means visit every dealer you can. You should also keep your eyes open for a Baldwin Hamilton, these can be nice and well below 4K. Have a good tech check anything out before you buy.

Have fun,
Steve
Posted By: PianoStarz Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 02:35 AM
Are U1's in my budget?

Also does anyone know a site to look at pictures of these models? It's going to be a while before I get to my Yamaha dealer unforunetly. I'm desperate to see what these models lol.
Posted By: terminaldegree Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 03:22 AM
You will see older U1's and U3's in that price range in various stages of originality/refurbishment. Tech inspection would be important prior to sale, for sure.

You might also be able to get a decent sized new upright piano from one of the Chinese or Indonesian makers. I wasn't shopping for one of these, but it would be a good idea just to check them out with an open mind.
Posted By: kreerk Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 03:41 AM
We have saved for years and finally bought the piano of my dreams. Yamaha C2. My heart breaks for those who want a grand and don't have one. You'd be surprised how fast a couple of years of saving will go.

Some dealers, like the one in Columbus, Ohio, will give you all the $$ back on a piano bought from them when you upgrade to a new one from them. You can do this as many times as you wish, so buying one from them then upgrading is just like putting your money in a savings account until you get what you want while continuing to play better and better pianos.

Good luck...keep your eyes on the prize!
Posted By: kreerk Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 03:42 AM
Posted By: Larry Larson Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 04:13 AM
I think you could find a nice Yamaha U1 for $4000. They are great pianos with a nice action and good tone. There are a lot of them around. I think you could expect they would hold their value well also. Yamaha also sells an upright that is mechanically the same as the U1 but is less expensive because it has a plainer case. Larry
Posted By: PianoStarz Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 01:34 PM
Thanks I'm hoping I can head over to the Yamaha dealer on monday

They carry new and used pianos, I think they carry more than yamaha's too but I originally wanted a Yamaha C1 then I was looking at music and there were about 4 upright Yamahas near that I played and liked really well they look like U1's and U3's from what I have searched on Ebay.

Also a lot of you are saying USED U1's and U3's are in that price range Im all for used pianos I own one right now which I had to inspect my self, But Im really thinking a new one this time, and how much are the brand new U1's and U3's? I seen a post about this but I can't find it now.
Posted By: Larry Larson Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 01:46 PM
PianoStarz,
New U1's start around $9K list price, and I assume you could get a better price than that, but I don't know exactly what they're going for these days. So when I said you could get one for $4K that was for a used one. But I wouldn't shy away from a used one, they are very solid pianos. Good luck!!!! Larry
Posted By: PianoStarz Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 01:48 PM
I'm just weary of the refurbished ones mostly because I don't know what has beeen done to them.
Posted By: Mark... Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 07:35 PM
Originally posted by PianoStarz:
I'm just weary of the refurbished ones mostly because I don't know what has beeen done to them.
Not necessarily refurbished, just used with little wear and tear...

And use an independent tech to be sure...
Posted By: Monica K. Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 07:43 PM
Originally posted by PianoStarz:
Also does anyone know a site to look at pictures of these models? It's going to be a while before I get to my Yamaha dealer unforunetly. I'm desperate to see what these models lol.
Yamaha website showing acoustic uprights
Posted By: Stevester Re: Yamaha Upright Pianos - 07/20/07 08:12 PM
I have seen 3-5 year old USA model U1s on Craiglist for 4K or just a little more. I am not talking about 25 year old junk. But it depends where you live. Once again, I think the maximum bang for the buck is going to be a used Baldwin Hamilton. You should be able to get a real nice one for under 2K.

Visit dealers to see what is going on and ask around for tech recomendations. The tech is the weak link in the piano puzzle. If you don't have a good tech don't even think about an acoustic.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums