Yamaha Models

Posted by: Bernsley

Yamaha Models - 10/23/07 08:55 PM

Hi There

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what the difference is between the Yamaha U3M and U3H models. I understand that there is also a U3A model but at this stage am just interested in the difference in the first two.

If anyone can please advise

Kindest Regards

Bernsley
Posted by: Lula

Re: Yamaha Models - 10/24/07 10:06 PM

Hi, Bernsley.

I don't know if Yamaha gave any particular differences between those models because I wasn't interested in the models before (I might have played those models at schools, though).

The difference between the Yamaha U3M and U3H models, as far as I know, is when those models are made. According to Yamaha's Japanese site (I'm not sure if this information can be applied out side of Japan),

U3H models : from April 1972 to September 1980
U3M models : from September 1980 to December 1982

There are so many used U3H models in used piano market in Japan so I frequently hear U3H models in stores but not U3M (maybe that's because U3H was made for 7 1/2 years, but U3M 2 years).

I hope this information will help you.

Lula
Posted by: pianobroker

Re: Yamaha Models - 10/25/07 02:57 AM

Lula
I'm impressed as for your knowlege as for age assesment of Yamaha though the U3M was made up to 1984. It is really based on the serial #. There was an overlap as to the U3M and transition to the U3A. There were U3M with 3750000 serial # which are of late 1983 almost to 1984 and U3A with serial # less than that of the U3M. Yamaha is kinda vague as for scale changes between the different letters,though they are better the newer they are, same as for the grands. The newer Yamahas are definitely polyester as for their finish.
Posted by: Craigen

Re: Yamaha Models - 10/25/07 06:18 PM

Several years ago Yamaha stopped putting the iteration letters beside the model numbers or infront of the serial numbers. They found it created problems with their dealers all of the sudden having "dated" stock. Today letter prefixs infront of serial numbers on some verticals indicate factories of origin.
I am not aware of significant scale design evolutions in the U series. There are always little tweaks along the way. Just assume newer is more evolved.
Posted by: Barbershop4ever

Re: Yamaha Models - 11/28/07 09:43 AM

Hi Folks,

I'm a newbie on this forum. I am in the market for a used Yamaha U-1 or U-3. I have found a U-1 that is available for $1500 from a private party and, according to the serial number (4595750) it was made in late 1988. Seems like a great deal, right? What is making me a little suspicious is the model number: "U1E". I have seen on other web sites that the U1E was made by Yamaha in the late 1960s or early 1970s. It seems unthinkable that some would alter the serial number of a piano, but crazier things have happened. Does anyone here know whether or not Yamaha made a U1E in 1988?

Thanks!
Paul
Posted by: pianobroker

Re: Yamaha Models - 11/28/07 04:56 PM

Actually I believe the E and F are newer pianos and not of grey market designation. The G series are of the 60's which preceded the H,M,and A.
$1500 is a steal for a U1 with s/n 4595750.
Make sure they didn't add a digit(4)I've seen it all.
Posted by: Barbershop4ever

Re: Yamaha Models - 11/28/07 06:01 PM

At the suggestion of another forum member sent via private mail, I called Yamaha and was helped by a very pleasant gentleman. He told me that U1E models were indeed made in the late '80s, and this particular piano was made for the North American market.

I suppose if someone were to go to the trouble of altering a serial number they would be asking more than $1500. Looks legit to me!

Thanks for your help,
Paul