Satin vs Polished Ebony

Posted by: Zooplibob

Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 12:19 PM

What are you guys' opinion on these two finishes? I know one is more expensive than the other, but besides that what are the differences in the "image" it exudes?

In my opinion, the polished looks more like a show piece, where the satin looks more suited to a professional who is more interested in a good playing piano than a shiny piece of furniture. Of course this is a broad generalization and stereotype, but thats what I'm looking for peoples thoughts on. What are your stereotypes of these finishes?
Posted by: Rod Verhnjak

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 12:32 PM

I love satin ebony.
Easy to touch up and I think it's quite classy looking.
Posted by: John v.d.Brook

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 12:46 PM

Several brands are available in a matt black, which I find even more appealing than the satin black.
Posted by: NE_Geek_Girl

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 01:01 PM

I like satin. That being said, we just bought a polish finish because it was just the perfect piano for us - and I'm finding that finish is fine too. It suits the room which is very light and airy, with modern furniture (a second home), while the satin finish works nicely in a living room that is a bit darker,with lots of darkish natural wood panelling and Arts&Crafts furniture.
Posted by: steveb40

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 02:35 PM

I love Satin. Beautiful and understated, like great art.
Posted by: bitWrangler

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 02:42 PM

Interesting, I find that for me, the finish is the last thing I notice about the looks of a piano. I'm much more into things like the styles of the various parts of the piano (legs, music desk, etc). I know I've never personally equated the finish with any preconceptions about the piano or owner (for instance, many European pianos come in polish only).
Posted by: cvflame

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 02:45 PM

My personal opinion on the subject is that the satin ebony is more of a classic piano colour. I think the polished ebony looks nicer in locations which have a lot of glass objects.. such as glass tables, vases, etc.
That's just my thoughts ( :
Posted by: Zooplibob

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 02:57 PM

I guess I should be more clear about my question. What do these finishes tell you about the owner of the piano himself?
Posted by: Mark...

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooplibob:
I guess I should be more clear about my question. What do these finishes tell you about the owner of the piano himself? [/b]
Most likely nothing. The finish maybe more about the room than anything else. Or maybe how the piano actually sounds...

To read into a piano finish to the owners personality is a bit of a stretch...
Posted by: Innominato

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 03:11 PM

My stereotypes are:

1) polished is too "showy", satin more elegantly understated.

2) polished means the piano is probably meant to be the visual king of the room; satin that it should fit nicely with the rest of the furniture without being the primadonna.

3) a person more accustomed to some more "shiny" profession and people (say: fashion industry; advs industry; entertainment/show business) is more likely to have a polished piano; a lawyer, tax consultant, high civil servant, undertaker ;\) would probably prefer satin.

4) younger people are more likely to choose polished, older satin.

5) conservative people are more likely to choose satin, progressive/alternative polished.

6) People who are intelligent, witty, devastatingly beautiful AND modest will tend to choose walnut satin.. ;\)

That's all the stereotypes I could fish in this short time.. ;\)
Posted by: bitWrangler

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Zooplibob:
I guess I should be more clear about my question. What do these finishes tell you about the owner of the piano himself? [/b]
Nothing at all.
Posted by: John v.d.Brook

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 03:19 PM

Quote:
6) People who are intelligent, witty, devastatingly beautiful AND modest will tend to choose walnut satin..
:D
Posted by: cvflame

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 03:20 PM

Well, I don't have too much experience with knowing different piano players, but from the few people I know, the ones who prefer playing faster jazz music styles seem to like Satin more. The others either had no preference or prefered the polished slightly more.
Satin = player who prefer playing fast paced music
That's my stereotypic view ( ;
Posted by: mdsdurango

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 03:31 PM

The reflection on my polished music rack alerts me to anyone walking up to my front door.

If my piano would have come in satin I would have preferred that - but - it didn't, so I have polished.
Posted by: M&HAAdriver

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 05:43 PM

Hmmm. It becomes dangerous to reveal one's own piano finish lest he/she be compartmentalized by the aforewritten opinions.

That said, I like satin on the stage so as not to detract from the performer or performance.

I own polished ebony because I personally like the way it looks in its particular setting (and if it distracts from MY performance, well maybe that's for the best ;\) ).
Posted by: Craigen

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 06:53 PM

Polished finish has been the finish of choice for over 30 years now. Over 85% of new grands sold in the U.S. today are Polished Ebony (black). Polyester is many times thicker than traditional laquers and much harder. It can be professionally buffed back to original luster over and over again.

Satin finishes today are rendered in traditional laquers i.e. S&S, Baldwin, etc. Many Asian factories are rubbing out polyester finishes to a satin look now. Traditional laquer can be touched up much more easily, but you will need to touch up edges and corners regularly with normal wear. Uncommon for traditional laquer/varnish finishes to look good long much longer than about 30-40 years if that.
Posted by: sophial

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 03/31/08 10:36 PM

Ebony satin lacquer forever-- it's classy, classic and has a beautiful soft lustre to it. The matte finishes don't even come close and poly is too plastic and glary for me...

and I'm not at all conservative ;\)

Sophia
Posted by: Robert H

Re: Satin vs Polished Ebony - 04/01/08 01:01 AM

Hi Zooplibob,...

If you have little kids (under 4) or planning to have some soon,... I think it is easier to clean crayon, chocolate, grease, and other food items that may accompany tiny handprints from Polished Ebony Finish,... \:\)

As far as look,... I think the satin Ebony pianos are beautiful but they look old-er, or as some people prefer to say, more classic,... while Polished Ebony pianos, as long as they are clean, always look brand new,...

Another image related note,... some people think that American made piano only comes in Satin Ebony,... so if you are buying an American made piano and you don't want some people to think that you bought an import then you should get it in Satin Ebony \:\)

Regards,

Robert