Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50

Posted by: att3

Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/12/08 10:11 AM

I have 2 young children learning to play piano, and am thinking of buying a baby grand, fully understanding that in a few years, it may be nothing more than furniture. I found a 9 year old Weber WG-51 and a 5 year old Samick SIG-50. The Samick is $3000 and the Weber is only a couple hundred more. Condition on both is almost perfect. Which one should I go with? Any input would be appreciated.
Posted by: Jim Volk

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/12/08 02:44 PM

imo, the Samick is the better choice, but only marginally.

It's only one centimeter smaller, but is 4 years newer, and in my experience the name carries a slightly better reputation than Young Chang's Weber (in the past, that is; Young Chang's current Weber line is doubtless of superior quality than Webers of previous decades).

If you happen to like the sound and feel of the Weber better, don't let this discourage you from choosing it over the Samick.

Most important, when you settle on the piano you like best, ask a local independent piano tech to inspect it fully before you buy, which is good common practice for ascertaining the quality of any used piano.
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/12/08 04:26 PM

Nine years ago wasn't Weber made by Samick?
Posted by: PianoPro

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/12/08 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
Nine years ago wasn't Weber made by Samick? [/b]
That would be false. However, young Chang sold the rights to the name Weber to Samsung. They continue to build pianos for them though. Today, Weber is considered the red headed stepchild to the YC. Typically, the Sammick would be the better buy. Individually, I'd get the opinion of a tuner before buying either second hand.

Good luck!
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/12/08 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PianoPro:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
Nine years ago wasn't Weber made by Samick? [/b]
That would be false. However, young Chang sold the rights to the name Weber to Samsung. They continue to build pianos for them though. Today, Weber is considered the red headed stepchild to the YC. Typically, the Sammick would be the better buy. Individually, I'd get the opinion of a tuner before buying either second hand.

Good luck! [/b]
I stand corrected.

Thanks.

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/14/08 08:46 AM

Thank you all for the input.

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/14/08 10:56 AM

If I may ask one more follow up. I also found a 1978 Knabe and a 13 year old YC with a player system, all about the same price. Any advice on these 2 pianos?
Posted by: Glenn Treibitz

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/14/08 11:10 AM

IMO the action on the (Young Chang) Webers were always better and more accurate than the Samick. I found that Samick pianos of that age needed 2 or 3 preps before they settled down and the Weber did not.
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/14/08 07:15 PM

Quote:
People today can simply get a Hailun and get it over with.....

Norbert \:D
Posted by: PianoPro

Re: Weber WG-51 vs. Samick SIG-50 - 05/15/08 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Norbert:
 Quote:
People today can simply get a Hailun and get it over with.....

Norbert \:D [/b]
Norbert!

I do wish you well with those Hailuns. I have other friends in the biz who are carrying them. Certainly they are creating a lot of buzz early on. I know my initial reaction to them was positive. I'm going to play it safe though and wait and see. Been stung too many times with Chinese pianos.