Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console?

Posted by: leftseat

Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/17/07 04:16 AM

I hope this is a valid question:
Given the choice between a 1989 Baldwin "Classic" spinet and a Kimball "Artist's" console upright (unknown year), which has the better reputation? Both are in great condition and similar in price. Thanks!
Posted by: BDB

Re: Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/17/07 12:24 PM

If it is a recent Kimball studio (45") or the larger upright, then I would go for it. Actually, I would probably even prefer an Artists Console, opting for a piano that may not be quite the quality, but is easier to maintain well. There is a Baldwin Howard spinet which I have seen which is particularly bad, worse than any Kimball I have ever seen.

Re: Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/18/07 01:41 PM

Thanks, BDB. The Kimball is a 42" Artist Console built in 1958, and seems to be in good shape. I read that Kimball sold its company in 1959, does this mean quality may have been poor just before the sale? I was also told that this 42" piano would be easier to resell someday vs. a spinet - any thoughts?

Re: Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/18/07 08:36 PM

I kind of like Artist Consoles, but they are not great pianos. The later ones with Schwander actions are better. I recommend that you wait around and find a nice studio. Read this topic to see how it is done.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/18/07 08:49 PM

I tuned a 1958 Kimball console today that was awful - The strings hung up, the pin block rocked, the scale and harmonics were dreadful. Took over 1 1/2 hours. But then again, some Kimball pianos are just fine. Have a tech check both pianos.

Re: Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/19/07 04:47 AM

I agree with having a tech check it out...originally I was hesitant due to the cost, but it's better than getting stuck with a lemon. Thanks for the advice! I know the Artist console is not the best, but for $700 can I really do much better?

Re: Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/19/07 11:28 AM

You can if you are patient. Read the recent topic about the $500 piano.
Posted by: Marty Flinn

Re: Baldwin "Classic" spinet or Kimball "Artist's" console? - 12/20/07 03:38 PM

Take the 1989 Baldwin over the 1959 Kimball. Pianos don't last forever and 30 years trumps any small quality or performance concession when then were both new.