Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history?

Posted by: rikkye

Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history? - 10/26/07 09:07 PM

Hi guys, my first post

Does anyone know anything about Lowrey piano? It's so mysterious that I can't find anything about this brand online.
Posted by: VGrantano

Re: Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history? - 10/27/07 09:01 AM

It was (Is) an organ company through the years it was made by many differant factories. None very good,IMO.Look them up as Lowery Organ Co. I doubt they talk very much about pianos.
Posted by: rikkye

Re: Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history? - 10/27/07 01:15 PM

I see, thank you, no wonder I keep on seeing organ attached to the name.
Posted by: Craigen

Re: Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history? - 10/27/07 05:07 PM

Lowery pianos were built by Story & Clark piano company for sales through Lowery Organ dealerships. They were mediocre when new.
Posted by: MAKitt

Re: Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history? - 10/27/07 08:08 PM

My first job in the 70's was with a Lowrey (correct spelling) dealership. IMO they were decent pianos at the time. Pratt Reed actions, excellent pinblocks and beautiful cabinet stylings. Upgrade Story & Clarks that way. Laminated soundboards if that matters to you. Evaluate the tone and decide. Don't know the age but if it's 80's I'd pay up to $800.. Good luck.
Mike
Posted by: U S A P T

Re: Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history? - 10/28/07 12:21 PM

They were decent pianos and were popular in the immediate time before the first wave of the very first non-Japanese Asian pianos started coming here like the very early Young Changs (would that make them Old Changs now???) and Sojin.

Lowrey really had something with their early attempts at turning the organ of yore into a synth with their Genius cartridge systems. The V120 portable stage piano was an awesome little synth too (for its time). I bought one, had it all through my first stint in college and loved it.
Posted by: Craigen

Re: Lowrey piano ..... what's this brand history? - 10/28/07 05:23 PM

I think I remember that they had mahogany soundboards. I could be wrong. My impression was that they were a stencil built by Story & Clark, not an upgrade from the Story & Clark.