HELP! for the best digital piano speakers?

Posted by: Louigi

HELP! for the best digital piano speakers? - 11/07/07 02:07 PM

I own a Yamaha P90 stage piano (no internal speakers). I play mostsly classical and jazz standards in churches and small halls. I do NOT want to be hooked to a board and big speakers, overpowering the room. Of course, short of an accoustic piano, this is my reality. I also want to warm up the sound. Someone suggested the Behringer Truth B2031A (225 amps. of active boost). These are studio monitors and therefore, true flat sound...but can be tweaked.

Question is: what is the best equipment for my needs? Monitors or Speaker system. What makes are recommended? Thanks so much for your opionions. Regards. Louigi
Posted by: BruceD

Re: HELP! for the best digital piano speakers? - 11/07/07 03:32 PM

Louigi :

Have you posted your question in the Digital Pianos Forum?

Regards,
Posted by: MoodyBluesKeys

Re: HELP! for the best digital piano speakers? - 11/07/07 06:35 PM

I personally play a Kurzweil PC2 in a similar situation. I have been very pleased with my pair of JBL EON 15G2 powered speakers. they have a very flat frequency response, and allow me to get a nice clean signal. I do run a pair for the stereo samples. I also play using some bass guitar patches, so I needed the 15" speaker - you might find that the EON 10G2 would be a good match for classical piano use. Volume can be varied from a whisper to sufficient for moderate sized outdoor venues.
One reason that I went in that direction is that I also can use the JBL's with a mixer as a complete PA setup. When this is done, I typically use a lower priced "Gemini" 10" powered PA cabinet as a stage monitor - there is more coloration of signal, but the audience is hearing the JBLs, and the monitor is turned on low right next to me, especially when I am blending with other performers.

Studio monitors are typically designed for close-up listening in a rather small room. Powered PA has the advantage that they can be daisy-chaned so as to provide enough sound for most any environment, if needed. A total weight of 46 lb apeaice is also a help, especially when I have to lift them onto the tripod stands by myself. They also have a built in mini mixer - three channels, one of which can be either line level or microphone.
HTH,

Jim
Posted by: ctnski

Re: HELP! for the best digital piano speakers? - 11/07/07 09:43 PM

After switching to full-range single driver speakers a couple of years ago, I refuse to buy anything with a crossover. I own single-driver horns from Ed Schilling's Hornshoppe in South Carolina and single-driver ported speakers from Omega Speakers in Connecticut. I recommend both, the horns doing better against the back wall and the Omegas performing best out in the room. Both can be driven with flea-powered amplifiers, like the Sonic Impact, or better yet like the souped up version from Red Wine Audio. I own and use all these products, and recently tried going back to my Infinity/Adcom system and it sounded so distinctly mid-fi in comparison that I knew I had made the right choice. The great advantage of my present setup is it runs of a 12-volt battery, which recharges when not in use. The clarity, the silence between notes, is just stunning.

Cheers,

Craig