price of Steinway K 52: opinions ASAP

Posted by: Gwyn

price of Steinway K 52: opinions ASAP - 10/13/05 01:11 AM

I have found a Steinway K 52 made in 1987 that im pretty interested in. its outwardly in beautiful condition.
It has been played a lot so its hammers are well grooved (but still round) and the dampers are not all aligned to the strings very well (dont know how important this is) Otherwise it looks brand new inside, and sounds great.
the asking price is 14,000. i have been told by someone very "in the know" that its price should be more like 10,000. I would appreciate your opinions very much! Thanks Gwyn
Posted by: Steve Ramirez

Re: price of Steinway K 52: opinions ASAP - 10/13/05 01:30 AM

I think I saw the ad for this one on Pianomart. If it's the same one it is 20 years old and was used for all but the last seven years by a piano performance major.

I'm thinking that even 10K would be a lot for one this old, but Steinways have great resale so it would probably fetch that much.
Posted by: apple*

Re: price of Steinway K 52: opinions ASAP - 10/13/05 09:47 AM

lots of money for a used upright (K 52 or not - and I really like them) even at 10,000
Posted by: justme

Re: price of Steinway K 52: opinions ASAP - 10/13/05 10:15 AM

Having sold new and used Steinways in the past I believe the $14K is reasonable considering what new ones cost. Having said that I would certainly have a technician check it out and I would also look at other pianos in that price range. You could certainly try to offer them less for it but I doubt they will go much lower. It'll sell even at $14K.
Posted by: Gwyn

Re: price of Steinway K 52: opinions ASAP - 10/13/05 05:11 PM

Thanks every one for your input. its very helpful! Gwyn. PS any more opinions would be very appreciated!