How big is a Kawai KG-6 ???

Posted by: Self Taught

How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 08/27/05 10:35 PM

I'm taking delivery of Kawai KG-6 on Monday. It is GORGEOUS. The serial # puts it as a 1993 production. All original. Feel and tone are magnificent... The Bass will knock your socks off...

But I'm totally confused. I was looking for a KG 3 or KG5, but I fell in love with the KG-6. The plate is stamped KG6 and they told me it's a 6'10" grand. The Kawai site shows it as a 7'4". I found a Japanese site showint it in mm as 2060 mm or just under 7 feet. I even saw one place selling one as a 7'6".

Whose crazy? Can anyone tell me what size it really should be? I figure that I'll simply measure it when it arrives. In the meantime, it's driving me NUTS!!!

I can't wait for Monday.

Thanks,
Mike
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 08/27/05 11:25 PM

Everything I've ever seen suggests that a KG-6 is 7'4". If it's driving you crazy, why can't you go back to the dealer and bring your tape measure \:D

David F

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 08/28/05 09:39 AM

If he were closer I would, but it's 5 hours each way....

Monday will come soon enough.

Thanks,

Mike
Posted by: KawaiDon

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 08/29/05 06:26 PM

Self Taught,

Please send me a private note here on Piano World with the serial number. As far as I know, the KG-6 was discontinued in the early 80s, so could not have been made in 1993.

Perhaps the model is actually a GS-60? That would be under 7' and could have been made in 1993.
Posted by: Niles Duncan

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 08/30/05 11:44 PM

I recently had a Kawai KG6C of 1975 manufacture in my shop that I measured at 7'3".

Niles Duncan
Piano rebuilder, Pasadena, CA
www.pianosource.com
Posted by: mamma2my3sons

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 08/31/05 09:41 PM

What year & size did it turn out to be?
Posted by: KawaiDon

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 08/31/05 10:30 PM

I finally got a reply from Kawai in Japan. This is a Japanese-only model, similar to the GS-60 (and hense the same size) but called the KG-6E.

I will have to update Kawai America's charts for these models - I never had heard of them!
Posted by: mamma2my3sons

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 09/01/05 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info Don. So its a gray market Kawai. That 'splains the mystery!

Re: How big is a Kawai KG-6 ??? - 09/01/05 01:19 PM

Hey! It's Shiny Black, not Gray....
just kidding...

Thanks for all the help.
According to Don it was made late October 1992. It measures about 6'9" or 6'10".

The Plate has no model number cast into it, just a raised oval where KG-6 is painted on. Maybe they did that so they could use the same plate for several models...

Thanks everyone for their input.

Mike