Howard Vincent's ghost

Posted by: fmelliott

Howard Vincent's ghost - 11/16/02 11:35 AM

For nearly 40 years, I played a Howard Vincent baby grand. It was completely worn out when I gave it away. It has either been rebuilt, unlikely, or parted out since I gave it to a rebuilder. I have lots of good memories from that instrument. Can anyone tell me more about this piano name? I have always assumed it to be a stencil since I haven't actullay seen another one. The fallboard did read London, Paris, New York. The piano was bought in 1931 somewhere near Pitsburgh, Pa. It was probably in Charleroi. Thanks in adavance for your help. \:\)
Posted by: Steve Miller

Re: Howard Vincent's ghost - 11/16/02 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fmelliott:
For nearly 40 years, I played a Howard Vincent baby grand. It was completely worn out when I gave it away. It has either been rebuilt, unlikely, or parted out since I gave it to a rebuilder. I have lots of good memories from that instrument. Can anyone tell me more about this piano name? I have always assumed it to be a stencil since I haven't actullay seen another one. The fallboard did read London, Paris, New York. The piano was bought in 1931 somewhere near Pitsburgh, Pa. It was probably in Charleroi. Thanks in adavance for your help. \:\) [/b]
If you look up Howard Vincent, the Piano Atlas refers you to Artemis, which then refers you to Steger.

Steger and Sons, est. 1893, Steger, IL. Makers of Steger Melostrello (gotta love that one!), Reed and Sons, Thompson, Singer, Artemis. Steger pianos may have Singer numbers. Also makes Crest. Present address 3251 Chicago Road, Steger, IL. Company founded by John V. Steger. Discontinued in 1959.

Ther serial numbers run from the years 1893 to 1925. Unusual to see a current address for an old manufacturer like this, even one that has a town named for them. I wonder if they are still there, and if they are, what they are doing these days.