WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA

Posted by: Terrytunes

WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/06/09 11:00 PM

It's been quite sometime since the MA-PW group has had the opportunity to gather.

Larry Buck is once again offering his piano shop in Lowell for a place to come together and share our piano passion around a 8'4" Schimmel grand!

This event is currently scheduled for Saturday, May 2nd; time=TBA

Is anyone else ready for a P-A-R-T-Y??!!
Posted by: IrishMak

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/07/09 11:02 AM

Sorry, Terry, but we will be in CT that weekend! Have fun!
Posted by: sepstein

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/07/09 11:43 AM

It HAS been a while! Unfortunately, that's a very busy weekend for our family (my wife has a big conference in town). I have a meeting in Portsmouth, NH earlier that day, so I'll see if I can swing it.

Steve
Posted by: lilylady

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/07/09 01:08 PM

Aw, gee Irish, that's too bad. Hope all is well with you.

I hope you'll be able to make it Steve.

I haven't cleared the date yet, but always love getting together with the locals.

I'll plan on bringing hors d'heuvres.

We'll certainly be missing the MH tour this year. :-(

My vote would be an afternoon party time.

I'll post over on WTF for our PW coffee club members!
Posted by: John Citron

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/07/09 01:14 PM

I'll be there. Should I bring something?

Hi Lilylady. I agree the afternoon is best for me too. We can then start early and party all night. wink

John

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/08/09 12:02 AM

MAK.. we'll miss you and the chef! Happy Birthday... hope your next 365 days is filled with much happiness!!

LL... yes, I was thinking later afternoon to start the gathering. I think a late afternoon/evening/late night combo would work!

John... maybe some of those delicious choco-chip cookies??!! We know what a wonderful baker you are!!;)
Posted by: cg-b

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/08/09 02:22 PM

Terry:

Hope you received my private message relating to the event at Larry's. Both Naira Babayan and myself are planning to attend. I believe some others are arriving sometime in the afternoon. Please advise.

We are very much looking forward and excited about this gathering and getting to finally meet Mr. Buck and his friends.

Carlos Gueits-Bonilla
Rockville, MD

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/08/09 11:26 PM

Hello Carlos... I have received your PM and will forward further info to you within the next couple of days.

Lilylady and I recently traveled to a piano concert and enjoyed listening to Naira's cd while cruising up to Maine. Please relay to her our excitement in knowing she will be joining us at our next gathering.

Our local PW group is extremely fortunate in having Larry Buck sponsor these events at his shop. As with any event, there is a fair amount of planning and prep work involved. You will have the opportunity to view Larry's dedication to his trade while he is surrounded by a shopful of pianoholics! As always he remains cool, confident in his knowledge and always professional! thumb
Posted by: DaleH

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/09/09 12:55 PM

Hi Terry! I'm pretty sure I can be there.
(If you notice that I'm playing the same piece I played last summer, please don't tell anyone!)

Dale
Posted by: woodfab

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/09/09 05:11 PM

I've been looking forward to the next party.

I enjoyed the last two very much.

Great time to meet people, getting a chance to try different pianos and sipping a little wine.

I'll be there

Dan Piano "Tinkerer"
Posted by: Piano World

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/09/09 06:54 PM

I wish I could be there.

I'm blowing my travel budget on the concert in Colorado
( http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1175587.html#Post1175587 ).

However, I will be in New England for a wedding July 4th weekend, if anyone has any plans for a piano party around then :-)

Plus I expect we will be putting together a Mason & Hamlin tour toward the end of the summer, probably in August.

And... I keep hoping our friends down the Cape will be up for hosting another fall gathering soon.

Have fun everyone (I know you will), don't forget to take pictures, including the group shot under/around the piano.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/10/09 10:15 AM

Frank, we'll all miss you! Enjoy CO!

Great seeing a show of support for our next gathering. Thanks to all for your enthusiasm.

I hope we can also encourage some of the newer MA members to join us. You can check out past gatherings at Larry's shop in the Forum Gatherings and Parties section.

Please feel free to bring along family members, friends; basically anyone interested in a relaxed musical gathering around a concert grand.

Oh, and speaking of grands....

I ventured by Larry's shop yesterday and found him in the performance room tending to prep work on the Schimmel Concert Grand that we'll be gathering around.

(ok, I realize I didn't set the date correctly on my camera!!) wink

So, c'mon.. sign up and let us know you're planning to join the festivities! thumb

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/10/09 02:52 PM

Terry- Thank you! I'm sure this year will be just as good as the last!

We will miss being there. These parties at Larry's shop are always fun. Next time!
Posted by: foxyw

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/14/09 06:51 PM

This sounds like a lot of fun! Being relatively new to playing, I have been hoping to meet some other players in the area. I may have a conflict however. My husband and I are having dinner with friends and seeing pianist Jenny Tang perform with violinist John Holland in Groton that evening.

If the party is in the afternoon, I hope that we can stop by for a while to say hello.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/14/09 09:27 PM

Hi foxyw... I'll update the initial post with further info; time, address. But yes, please do stop by and check out our Lowell piano gatherings at Larry Buck's shop. It's a great opportunity to meet others who share your piano passion, listen to some great music and for those interested in technical aspects, Larry always has lots of ongoing projects to share.

And thanks for mentioning your evening plans. I just checked out the website for
Kalliroscope Gallery Chamber Music series which I didn't know existed. Sounds like your in for a delightful musical weekend adventure! I loook forward to meeting you! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/14/09 09:46 PM

ok, since I'm not able to edit my original post, ( I guess that 6-hr time period I had read about is really true!!) I'll just add updates here. Anyone who has questions, please feel free to forward me a PM.

Piano Gathering - Larry Buck's Piano Shop

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Time: 1pm

171 Lincoln Street (top floor)
corner of Tanner & Lincoln
Lowell MA978-458-8688
Posted by: Larry Buck

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/19/09 12:39 PM

I am looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Terry, Thank You for staying on this, setting it up and moving things along. The Piano World Gatherings here in Mass have been happening for a few years now and much is owed to you for that. There are many people involved in making this happen, Stevetunes and many others. The piano community here is fortunate to have such a dedicated group.

As I am talking to folks, I find that there will be many new faces at this gathering, some who have not been part of PW but do share the passion for the instrument.

I hope everyone will stop by, it is always a lot of fun.

This years, although with out the Mason tour, is shaping up to be the best yet!!

Posted by: rustyfingers

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/25/09 01:15 PM

I will try to make it. Not sure if the family will join me. Looking forward to meeting people old and new.

I'll probably be a bit late as I have a rehearsal until noon. Can I bring something?
Posted by: Pianoshel

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/25/09 07:58 PM

I'll be there along with my brother, Woodfab. It sounds like a great time, with some great people. Would love to get to play a piece or two on a fine piano.

Will bring wine, cheeze and crackers.

Looking forward to a fun afternoon,
PianoShel

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/27/09 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: rustyfingers
Can I bring something?

whatever you desire! good seeing your reply!

Pianoshel... welcome to PW!! Look forward to meeting you!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/28/09 11:36 PM

If I hadn't spent so much money on my trip to Colorado, I'd be there.

Have fun everyone (I know you will), and don't forget to take lots of pictures, including the all important group shots.

Make sure everyone plays too, no excuses.

When I was in Colorado I played in front of Jeffrey Biegel (concert pianist, recording artist, composer)[ www.jeffreybiegel.com ], and Steve Barta (jazz pianist, recording artist, composer, author) [ http://www.stevebartamusic.com/recordings.htm ]

Larry, if I don't see you before, I'll see you around the 4th of July when we come up that way for a wedding.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 03:52 PM

Looking forward to the get together and meeting up with new piano friends. We will miss you Frank, and the MH tour.

I am making herb filled meatballs as I write. However I just thought of the problem of heating them at the party. Does anyone have an extra heating unit (like a crock pot) that they can supply for sure? Or an other idea other than eating them room temp or cold (which are also good!)?

Please respond here or PM me.

Thank you.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: lilylady

I am making herb filled meatballs as I write. However I just thought of the problem of heating them at the party. Does anyone have an extra heating unit (like a crock pot) that they can supply for sure? Or an other idea other than eating them room temp or cold (which are also good!)?

Please respond here or PM me.

Thank you.

Sure,
Send them to Pompano Beach, FL
I'll be happy to take care of heating them up :-)

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 04:28 PM

No, no, no....Frank...

That will just not do!

You'd be the only one to get to eat them there...

and besides....these are reserved for the players attending - past players please do not apply!

HA HA HA!

Well, and anyone who wants them - but you must BE THERE.

Somehow, I am not sure that there will out do my SALSA but we'll see!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 04:34 PM

Does it count if I play via Skype?

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 08:13 PM

Frank.. shd I bring my webcam so we can share an official toast in your honor??!!

LL... crockpot has been placed in Saturday's lineup of party supplies! herbal meatballs....MMMmmmmmmm thumb

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

A441 aka Jerry Gloo and Ed B will be driving up together from the Cape to attend the gathering!!

YIPPEE!!!!

Jerry... don't forget your sheet music!! grin

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 08:26 PM

Seriously though (sorta),
I'm testing out Skype, hopefully later tonight with a member in Australia.

And, there's a chance my friend Kathy will be here this weekend.

If Larry has a web cam and a Skype hookup, we could "drop in" :-)

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 10:32 PM

Hi Frank,

My laptop does have a web cam. I have never used it but I could probably figure it out.
Skype, on the other hand, what's that?

I'll google it and check it out.

BTW Frank, I don't know that we have ever had a gathering with out you?

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 10:45 PM

Skype is a free program for video conferencing.

We are trying it out because there are some people who would like to use it
for teaching lessons to students from across the country and around the world.
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/1178359

I tried it tonight with a member in Australia (thanks Rob), worked great (except I couldn't figure out how to make myself look thinner).

My Skype id is pianoworlddotcom

Sorry I won't be there in person, could have made it if I hadn't spent the money on the Colorado trip.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 10:52 PM

I can bring my laptop, built in webcam, skype already setup.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 04/30/09 10:57 PM

Thanks Rustyfingers. Great idea.

You are welcome to "plug in" to my wifi.
Posted by: JeffBC

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/01/09 06:52 AM

Alanna and I will try to stop in for a bit. It'll be nice to see everyone again!
Posted by: DaleH

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 09:48 AM

I can't make it after all. frown - Sorry to miss you all!

Dale

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 06:25 PM

It was great to see everyone .......

Thank You Everyone for a great time !!!!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 07:59 PM

What a great get together!

We missed those who couldn't attend and enjoyed meeting those attending for the first time, as well as, seeing familiar piano friends.

Tis true - Great friendships get formed at these piano parties. I think it might have to do with our common obsession with the piano. Right?

Nice 8 ft plus Schimmel to play, food spread was wonderful, host Larry and hostess Terrytunes outdid themselves.

Thank you both for putting on another great PW party!

One big thing was missing though. FRANK!
No, not one BIG thing, one thing BIG!

Unfortunately a laptop was left behind and the skyping was not possible, but...you were there in spirit and we did do the group pic before too many had left - just for you!

I'll share some pics for you, Frank, and friends of PW that must be wondering what all the hallabaloo is about!!!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 08:06 PM

Host Larry showing pianos in the shop.

Mr. Smoothy, Eric Gloo, 441 who is shortly turning 79 and wooooos us with his smooth playing

John Citron who always plays as if we were his concert audience

Woodfab, who along with his brother Pianoshel reminds us that one does not need a written page to play the piano 'fab'!

Paul, who is not a member here but should be. Great player and teacher.

Rustyfingers who is anything BUT rusty played Joplin's Bethena and A Grieg piece.

Axtremus always shares some of his own compositions which are appreciated.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 08:17 PM

The Cape Cod Guys took a day to visit...the three of them have held PW parties at their homes.

Member FoxyW (foxy woman!!!) has only been playing for about a year, and shared a nice Ecossaise.

Beelady has had her hands full caring for a Shriner's Burn Baby and brought her along for us to meet. So sweet, and although she doesn't understand English, she understood music and bounced her head back and forth to the rhythm.

You attendees need to help me out with his name please - I enjoyed his playing and conversation...

Soon to be member Evelyn shyly played at first...then wowed us with several pieces (was it the wine?). She is anxious to meet other PW members and is joining.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 08:27 PM

Little Alanna won our hearts over as she attended past MH tours and PW parties. What a cutie she is and she performed for us, as did other youngsters.

At 3 and a half, one twin played Twinkle Twinkle!

And Little Rustyfingers did a 'sad' version of O Tannenbaum that she arranged in a minor key.

We had a couple of Duets for the first time

Terrytunes and Rustyfingers attempted for the first time to play Beethoven together - was this fun or what?

and Evelyn with her teacher Paul played some Schubert

I know I missed a few photo opts but will close with the beautiful ARTCASE STEINWAY that Larry will soon be working on

Ya just never know what you might see at PW parties!

This is not the first time that we have observed Terrytunes on her knees looking at a piano...

Might this be on your bucket list TT? laugh laugh laugh

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 11:39 PM

Nice party, nice people.

So sorry I forgot the laptop after all that. Hope you weren't sitting by your computer, Frank. Oops.

Thought you might enjoy a little sampling of the sound. This is Jeremy Gloo playing something like "Little Man Who Does Too Much" for Larry. http://www.box.net/shared/7dbmrt7102

Here's choochiefingers playing "Dead Christmas Tree".
http://www.box.net/shared/1oge1prrfo

It was nice to see old friends and meet new ones.

Thanks to Larry for hosting and Terry for doing her party thing! Lots of inspiring playing today!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/02/09 11:53 PM

Ok, I'm still waiting for someone to sign into Skype ....

Looks like a great party, as usual. Sorry we missed it, I see a lot of our old friends were there.
Thanks for the pictures and the recordings.

Terry, I really like your T-Shirt :-)
Posted by: lextune

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/03/09 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: lilylady

You attendees need to help me out with his name please - I enjoyed his playing and conversation...

My name is Alex wink

It was nice to see you all.
Posted by: woodfab

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/03/09 01:01 PM

I had a great time.
Great to see everyone and hear them play.
It was also nice to have a chance to play a great piano.

Dan Piano "Tinkerer"
Posted by: novelinda

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/03/09 03:11 PM

Am posting this for Jerry who hasn't stopped talking about the great party yesterday. Sorry I had to miss all the fun and fine music. Linda (novelinda)

Thanks to all for a wonderful afternoon.Sorry we missed seeing Axtremus and family.Roberta....son Eric will be interested in seeing how he has aged.Larry....amazing what you are accomplishing in your shop!Thanks Terry for the doggie bag of goodies.

Jeremy Gloo (A441)A
Posted by: kathyk

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/03/09 03:14 PM

So, sorry to have missed it. Looks like you had a great turn out. Good job Terry and Larry!
Posted by: novelinda

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/03/09 03:15 PM

Thanks rustyfingers for the recording of Jerry playing Little Man You've had a Busy Day". We've been listening to it, and of course Jerry has been critiquing it. lol
Posted by: Eric Gloo

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/03/09 11:03 PM

lilylady, you'll have to edit your caption up above...

That's my father, Jeremy, posing as Mr. Smoothy.

Sounds like a wild party...hope you didn't damage anything in Larry's shop!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/03/09 11:55 PM

I remembered I had taken one important pic that our on-site party photographer wouldn't have been able to take of herself!

Lilylady & Rustyfingers

Thanks for all the great photos and write-ups, LL!!

Very classy group photo Larry! thanks for not letting that one slip by.

Special thanks to Larry for allowing this fantastic event to take place. There are lots of behind-the-scenes prep in making a piano shop gathering friendly. Given Larry's hectic schedule of work related activities, I find it outstanding that he gave up a Saturday to go the extra mile for our gathering.

Seeing the pic of our Cape Cod guests brought on a bit of nostalgia when I recalled the first time meeting them was at the 2004 M&H factory tour. Who would have ever thought 5 years later we would have experienced such a variety of gatherings and bonded in friendship due to an online piano forum!

Thank you to all who brought along food items & beverages. Your assistance was very much appreciated.

For those who were attending for the first time, I hope the gathering was what you were expecting and then some.

I do believe the piano was played from the very beginning and until we started wrapping up around 7pm at which time John Citron played his heart out at my request.

Rusty... great recordings! thank you!

Oh and Frank.... I too LOVED my t-shirt!! PianoWorld continues to broaden my piano and musical enjoyment with each passing year. heart
Posted by: hv

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/05/09 03:24 PM

Seems to have been such a fun event. The fact I was so nearby makes having to miss it even worse. My wife and I had long standing anniversary plans to see Adam Neiman play in Hyannis that day. He was very good, btw. But I'm resolving to make the next Cape Cod piano party no matter what it takes.

Howard

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/05/09 10:20 PM

There were a few folks that wanted a copy of the Group photo. I have finally gotten around to processing it, updating the photo on this thread and I can email a copy to anyone interested.

PM me with your email address.

Please note that the copy posted to PW is a very small version of the one I would send anyone interested. The final .jpg large so you get a link to where you can download it from my site.

It was great to see everyone. Thank You!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/06/09 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: hv
But I'm resolving to make the next Cape Cod piano party no matter what it takes.

Howard

We are hoping a gathering might "fall" together sometime in the near future!! wink It would certainly be a pleasure to meet you and Sue!

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/07/09 07:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Terrytunes
Originally Posted By: hv
But I'm resolving to make the next Cape Cod piano party no matter what it takes.

Howard

We are hoping a gathering might "fall" together sometime in the near future!! wink It would certainly be a pleasure to meet you and Sue!

Be sure to let me know if a gathering happens to "fall" together, Kathy, my sister, and I will certainly "fall-o" you to the Cape.
Posted by: Dr. J

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/09/09 02:04 PM

A Piano Party - what a grand idea. Can you share some of the "how-to's" with a West Coast teacher?

Thanks, Dr. J

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/09/09 02:18 PM

Hi Dr. J.,

I'm sure some folks will jump in with ideas for you (Terry, Lilylady?), but in the meantime, you might like to check out some other Piano Forums Parties/Gatherings...

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/21/1/

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/09/09 03:39 PM

Hey Frank ....

Been trying to call you ......

Larry ....

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/09/09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Larry Buck
Hey Frank ....

Been trying to call you ......

Larry ....

I only use the PW phone number now.

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/13/09 10:18 AM

Looka like another fun party! Sorry we couldn't be there! Next time, I hope.
Posted by: foxyw

Re: WANTED: Piano Party Gatherers - Lowell, MA - 05/13/09 09:27 PM

Thank you so much for hosting such a fun party! My husband and I had a wonderful afternoon and enjoyed meeting new friends and also enjoyed hearing everyone play. As a relatively new piano player, I was thrilled to have an opportunity to play a short piece I had just finished learning (Beethoven's Ecossaise in G) for such a supportive audience and on the beautiful Schimmel grand piano. We're looking forward to attending more PW gatherings in the future.

Pat