Wurlitzer or Kranich & Bach?

Posted by: Dsegura

Wurlitzer or Kranich & Bach? - 12/08/08 10:06 PM

Hello, We have been looking at buying a used piano for our kids to start playing & we both played when we were younger. Our budget is $700-$1,000.

We have been looking at a Wurlitzer Spinet with Queen Anne Provincial cherry wood. The Serial # is 2836805 and the product # is 1176NCHY. The lady is asking $1,400 for it. She says it's about 5 years old. A pianist who plays professionally and owned a piano store looked at & said it was in good shape, it is basically brand new but needed tuning.

We also are going to look at a Kranich & Bach with Serial # 87521 & Model #9575 That is stamped in the wood. They are asking $500. It too looks like a spinet, but it could be a console.

I just signed up for this forum, & have been reading opinions of spinets on here & may pass on both & continue looking possibly at a used console or upright.

Looking for advice & any info on these two pianos or others recommended.
Posted by: Dsegura

Re: Wurlitzer or Kranich & Bach? - 12/11/08 10:12 PM

Hello, Could someone give advice on this piano I am looking at? Kranich & Bach with Serial # 87521 & Model #9575. They are asking $500. It is 40" high, so I assume this is a console. It has pretty woodwork, but I saw some negative posts about older K & B's on here. The seller told me this was only 10-15 yrs. old, but I saw one out on the internet that looked identical & was made in 1953. The blue book of pianos site indicates that the serial number shows it was made in the early 60's. I'm confused or maybe the seller doesn't know. I was planning to have a tech go out & look at with me, but am I wasting his time?
Posted by: gaffster

Re: Wurlitzer or Kranich & Bach? - 12/12/08 11:09 AM

Maybe more like 25 Years old according to this...

http://www.pianomagazine.com/Piano_Story.asp?id=66

"It was later acquired by the Aeolian American Corporation, and pianos with the name Kranich & Bach were made until 1981"

I do have a 1961 Wurli spinet in my den, it has a pleasant sound, not such great for bass tone, but it is a well built, durable piano that stays in tune for a year, played every day...