Piano World Home Page
Posted By: JoeW newer 52" upright pianos - 10/15/06 11:09 PM
Hi, I need opinions, I was just looking at a used Yamaha U3 from 1979 at a dealer, asking price is 4500, its made for N America and very nice, looks virtually new inside and out. They are also selling some very nice Chineese imports that typically list for about 4500 for 2800 blowout prices. Playing both each for about 1/2 hour, I notice very little difference in sound and touch, in some ways the china import has a deeper more resonating tone believe it or not. I like the name yamaha represents, but I know when yamaha piano was made then, anything from Japan did not have that great a reputation either. For the guy that bought the U3 new in the 70's, they made out great. I'm thinking the china import could be they same way.
Posted By: Van Re: newer 52" upright pianos - 10/15/06 11:14 PM
Which models of Chinese imports did you look at. Frankly I'm of the same general opinion, building an acoustic piano isn't exactly rocket science...
Posted By: Bob Re: newer 52" upright pianos - 10/15/06 11:57 PM
Some of the bigger Chinese models are getting pretty good. Have an independant tech check out the ones you are interested in.
Posted By: JoeW Re: newer 52" upright pianos - 10/16/06 12:11 AM
I just called the dealer to get more info on the brand, he said its "America Sejung", they have been making pianos about 5 years under several names. He said pearl River is the largest maker in China. Maybe thats another brand I should check out?

I usually go for name brand, but I was once burned badly buying an expensive american name that went backrupt, the piano was made by samick in korea even though it had the american name. The quality was no better then the china import I'm looking at now.
Posted By: Norbert Re: newer 52" upright pianos - 10/16/06 01:39 AM
Contrary to public opinion, a 52" upright is not always the best guarantor for *best* overall tone or feel.

My own 48" Sauter upright outplayed all other 52" models I saw when at their factory showroom some years ago - hence I bought it on the spot!

The Kawai K-25 is another example of a piano that often delivers more than expected.

You need to play anything between 49"-52" out there - surprises may lurk in places not before expected or anticipated.....

Norbert
Posted By: Grayson73 Re: newer 52" upright pianos - 10/16/06 04:19 AM
Have you heard of America Sejung? I've seen a lot of postings about the Kawai K-25 compared to the Yamaha U1. How does the K-25 compare to the Chinese pianos?
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums