Larry Fine's new book and website are "live".

Posted by: Larry Fine

Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 09:46 PM

Thank you for your patience. Please read my special introductory letter to Piano World members.
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 09:56 PM

A first class act - congratulations Larry!!

Norbert thumb thumb
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 10:02 PM

Oh? You wrote a new book?

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 10:23 PM

Congratulations and sincere thanks also to Steve Cohen!

He made it happen to have it free for all online users!!

Norbert
Posted by: Rod Verhnjak

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 10:40 PM

Thanks Larry and Steve.
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 10:44 PM

Congratulations Larry, Alden, and Steve, great job!
Posted by: squonk

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 10:45 PM

Congratulations.

Now I'm never going to get any sleep.
Posted by: FogVilleLad

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/19/09 10:47 PM

Larry F.'s letter reinforces my expectation that he'll be able to retain his objectivity.

We often post re the increasing quality of Asian-made pianos, but I was struck by his mentioning that computerization has so broadly increased quality that he now sees his role as having changed from critic to guide.

And he's absolutely right about the consequence of the current expectation of money for nuthin' and chicks for free.

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 12:58 AM

Quote:
We often post re the increasing quality of Asian-made pianos, but I was struck by his mentioning that computerization has so broadly increased quality that he now sees his role as having changed from critic to guide.

This is similiar to what I heared some say during my recent trip to Germany.

They said "we can't build for the price of Estonias and we'll most definitely never get anywhere near the cost of the Chinese".

"So, let's invent the next generation CNC machinery and sell that to them"

"If the Chinese are start building better and better pianos, go ahead, blame us - at least we'll make money with something".....

Norbert
Posted by: M.O.P.

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 07:42 AM

Very nice. Easy navigation. Recommendations will start today for clients who have been asking about the online version! Thanks, guys!

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 09:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Congratulations and sincere thanks also to Steve Cohen!

He made it happen to have it free for all online users!!

Norbert

No. The core ideas for the new business model, including creating the ability to provide the content free online were Larry's.
Posted by: ChasT

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 09:30 AM

I just spent the last 20-30 minutes wandering through the site. It's excellent! Lots of information, easy to navigate, looks good. Thank you.

Charles
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 09:34 AM

"Piano Buyer" is quite impressive, Larry. thumb Congratulations! In particular, I was pleased to see your new format for grouping and ranking pianos. Having a smaller number of categories, and not ranking them within category, reflects more accurately the state of parity in piano manufacturing today, and it will undoubtedly save you a WHOLE lot of grief from fans and manufacturers who want to quibble with differences in rankings that really didn't mean that much.

I wish you the best of luck in this new venture.
Posted by: SophieM

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 09:56 AM

Larry et al - Thank you for providing the book on line for free! smile

Just a thought - I actually prefer the old rating system for pianos. There are definitely unmistakable variations in terms of performance and musicality among the pianos listed under Category 2 but they are all lumped together.... I guess this is meant as a very generic guide and the pianist must then discern for him/herself.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Monica K
In particular, I was pleased to see your new format for grouping and ranking pianos. Having a smaller number of categories, and not ranking them within category, reflects more accurately the state of parity in piano manufacturing today, and it will undoubtedly save you a WHOLE lot of grief from fans and manufacturers who want to quibble with difference in rankings that really didn't mean that much.

As I count it there are 6 categories in the latest edition compared to about 13 in the previous one. But in neither one were the pianos in each group ranked. The pianos in each group in the last edition were listed alphabetically.

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
In particular, I was pleased to see your new format for grouping and ranking pianos. Having a smaller number of categories, and not ranking them within category, reflects more accurately the state of parity in piano manufacturing today, and it will undoubtedly save you a WHOLE lot of grief from fans and manufacturers who want to quibble with differences in rankings that really didn't mean that much.

Originally Posted By: SophiaM
Just a thought - I actually prefer the old rating system for pianos. There are definitely unmistakable variations in terms of performance and musicality among the pianos listed under Category 2 but they are all lumped together.... I guess this is meant as a very generic guide and the pianist must then discern for him/herself.

Damned if you do...and damned if you don't! wink

LOL
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 10:07 AM

Originally Posted By: SophieM
Larry et al - Thank you for providing the book on line for free! smile

Fine said there was no unaninimity of opinion among the techs who offered opinions about these pianos.

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 10:11 AM

I know, LOL! grin That's whay I sais "just a thought." Also people (at least me) don't like changes unless they are really necessary...

Congratulations again on a worthy undertaking! smile

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 10:14 AM

Very true. But I was just looking at it from a pianist point of view. That's why the standard forum adivce is to try as many pianos as you can and buy the one you like! smile
Posted by: Aliwally

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 11:18 AM

Wow!! Who said good things are not "FREE" anymore. Thanks to all who had their hands in this project. My only problem is between Pre-Season Football & The Buyer's Guide I will not get any rest this weekend.

Peace,
Aliwally

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 11:32 AM

Quote:
But I was just looking at it from a pianist point of view. That's why the standard forum adivce is to try as many pianos as you can and buy the one you like!

Which, as we all know, is the essence of things...

Norbert
Posted by: DanLaura Larson

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 12:10 PM

Just spent a few minutes skimming through and the online book looks great. I'm looking forward to reading more. I liked the piano ratings in the old supplements, but I think this works just fine too. Great job Larry, Steve, and everyone else who contributed.

Dan
Posted by: Rod Verhnjak

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 12:58 PM

I too like the old rating system, a bit more separation is easier to decipher.

To me it seems to be ranked more by price.

Some manufactures sell direct to dealers an there is no middle man getting a cut but the quality of said piano may be just as high or higher than a more expensive piano.

Also foreign currency, shipping costs & the middle man may put some pianos in a higher price range but it may not transfer to better quality.

Posted by: apple*

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 01:39 PM

gosh.. i was going to mow.

the format is excellent.. how the pages zoom and turn.

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 01:59 PM

As to the suggestion that pianos were ranked somewhat by price, I can tell you they were not. After the rankings had been determined we looked for the price ranges of those in each group.
Posted by: Deerwood Dad

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 02:10 PM

Nobody is going to mention the elephant in the room? NY Steinways right there among 11 other brands (ranging in the old version between group 1B to 2B). Sorry, not meaning to start a war -- I for one love Steinways and do not believe them to be overpriced.
Posted by: Strings & Wood

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 02:17 PM

Canceled my webstore online order and ordered direct for a $aving. Browsed the online version and it looks great, but I prefer one on the shelf that I can grab whenever.
Hopefully, in the spring we will get a discounted pre-print notification/offer? smile

BTW... loved the website. Very easy to navigate!
Posted by: Akshay

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 03:06 PM

Beautiful!

I will certainly order it once I am in the market for a grand. We should support
all the work that went into this!

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 05:02 PM

Quote:
NY Steinways right there among 11 other brands (ranging in the old version between group 1B to 2B). Sorry, not meaning to start a war -- I for one love Steinways and do not believe them to be overpriced.

Funny, I feel exactly same about Estonia.....

Norbert wink

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Norbert
Quote:
NY Steinways right there among 11 other brands (ranging in the old version between group 1B to 2B). Sorry, not meaning to start a war -- I for one love Steinways and do not believe them to be overpriced.

Funny, I feel exactly same about Estonia.....

Norbert wink

Now THAT was funny! laugh
Posted by: Deerwood Dad

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 06:18 PM

Outragiously funny. thumb
Posted by: _just.jose

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: squonk
Congratulations.

Now I'm never going to get any sleep.

AHAHA! Me&You are in the same boat.
MAJOR-EPIC PROPS !!
[ looks at clock- 3:37 AM ]
LOL.
Posted by: master88er

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 07:03 PM

MAZEL TOV to Larry and Steve. Obviously, a lot of effort and thought went into the revisions and I applaud your efforts in making the world of pianos (and digital pianos) less frightening to consumers.

I absolutely LOVE the "Thriving Children' section. If only we could get that message to consumers.

Just one question for Larry - did you secure that bullet proof vest yet?
Posted by: Santemon

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 08:04 PM

Hello from an Australian member and thanks for a great publication, especially for making it available online for free. Unfortunately,many of the brands mentioned are unavailable down here as new instruments, particularly a great deal of the European and North American brands, but as someone who hopes to purchase an instrument in the near future, the commentary and brand guides are invaluable reading. While the prices do not always equate either, they do provide a good reference point. The special guide to Chinese pianos was appreciated - perhaps a Korean supplement next? Now back to working out how/where I can try out Estonias, Faziolis etc!

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 08:22 PM

Quote:
Now back to working out how/where I can try out Estonias, Faziolis etc!

Hey, we'll have the Winter Olympics coming up in Vancouver, Canada - feel like experiencing a little snow?

Norbert wink
Posted by: AJF

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/20/09 10:34 PM

WOW. They say there's no such thing as a free lunch. But apparently there *is* such a thing as a free 12 course dinner at a five star restaurant. Amazing job.....

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/21/09 09:14 PM

During the last few days I have received a number of mails indicating that not everybody seems to be aware about the new edition already available online.

Just go to Larry's first post, click "introductory letter"
- then "Online Edition" on left.

"Happy reading"

Norbert
Posted by: pno

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/21/09 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: AJF
WOW. They say there's no such thing as a free lunch. But apparently there *is* such a thing as a free 12 course dinner at a five star restaurant. Amazing job.....

There is no free lunch. You are just paying it some other way. In this case, it's through advertising in the book. Who pays the advertisement? The consumer.
Posted by: AJF

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/21/09 10:53 PM

Uh.....hmmm.. ah I click on the link at look at the pretty book for free. I don't know what you're talking about.......
Posted by: RickG

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 08/21/09 11:23 PM

Larry, Steve, Alden,

Thank you for such a great book. I have a copy that is a few years old and it is nice to have this updated version.
Posted by: analogdino

Re: Larry Fine's new book and website are "live". - 10/29/09 03:28 PM

Some late nights are likely! Many thanks.
Cheers,
Roger