Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Tamarind How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 02:09 AM
My Yamaha in ebony glossy finish has some minor adhesive stains, most probably from the saran wrap it came wrapped in when the piano was delivered. I am afraid to use anything to clean the stains without first consulting the pros on this forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
Posted By: Konzert Patrick Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 06:34 AM
Yamaha Unicon

I had the same problem, it took me a few minutes and it was all gone!
Read instructions before use, make sure the piano is dust free.
Posted By: pianobroker Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 07:01 AM
You need something to break down the adhesive without dulling the finish. If a damp rag or a polyester polish(Unicorn,Corys or ?)doesn't work. Nafta,Mineral Spirits or even paint thinner. Nafta is the mildest. smile
Posted By: apple* Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 12:31 PM
you would be surprised at how effective peanut butter is on some things.. has a bit of abrasive too.
Posted By: Roxane Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 01:38 PM
I found something called Goo Gone (or maybe Goo Be Gone) that specifically removes adhesive, e.g. price stickers. Does a good job and leave a (somewhat snythetic) orange scent, plus makes the surface nice and shiny with oil. Have never tried it on polyester finish, but has never scratched household plastic containers yet.
Posted By: Stanza Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 01:59 PM
WD 40 is a great adhesive remover and is generally pretty benign to finishes. With anything, always test on an unseen area first!
Posted By: Grotriman Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 02:07 PM
Safest item is olive oil or PAM. It will soften the adhesive and then a mild soapy solution on paper towel to wipe it off. Don't use peanut butter as it may scratch. Don't use WD40 as it may soften the finish or get in/around tuning pins (aacckkk!).
Posted By: curry Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 02:10 PM
Get some acetone from your local hardware store or Homedepot. Dab some on a soft cloth and wipe. It will take the goo off instantly.It will not harm a poly finish.
Posted By: Roxane Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 02:12 PM
^^^ Ordinary nail polish remover is basically acetone, so if you have some handy already, you might wish to try it on the underside of your piano or somewhere inconspicuous first.
Posted By: dglo Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 02:39 PM
I have always had luck with Avon's Skin-So-Soft. It removes all adhesives and tape-marks. You just use a little dab on a q-tip or cotton ball and voila.
Posted By: Roy123 Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/07/09 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by pianobroker
Nafta,Mineral Spirits or even paint thinner. Nafta is the mildest. smile

Do you mean naptha?
Posted By: apple* Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 10/08/09 08:12 PM
Avon's skin so soft can also be used as a topically applied mosquito repellant.. so if you bought a bottle, you could also use it elsewhere

Posted By: crogersrx Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 01/14/10 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by pianobroker
....Nafta,Mineral Spirits or even paint thinner. Nafta is the mildest. smile

Isn't it "Naptha?"

NAFTA is an economic treaty, if I remember correctly laugh
Posted By: BDB Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 01/14/10 01:51 AM
Naphtha.
Posted By: crogersrx Re: How to remove adhesive stains - 01/14/10 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by BDB
Naphtha.

Yep! blush
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums