String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed

Posted by: nylawbiz

String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 03:39 PM

Hi everyone. Well my 1903 Steinway O was delivered today. I noticed however, that when I depress the sustain pedal (right pedal), there is a string vibration sound: it appears that when the dampers are raised, the strings very softly vibrate. Any ideas of what is going on? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Brian
Posted by: BDB

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 03:44 PM

The damper felts, particularly the wedge felts, rub against the strings as they are lifted. Some noise is normal.

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 04:23 PM

Thank for your fast response BDB. Your answer is reassuring. The sound seems quite predominent though. Think there might be something wrong, or am I being too fussy?
Posted by: BDB

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: nylawbiz
Think there might be something wrong, or am I being too fussy?

Yes.
Posted by: gryphon

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: BDB
The damper felts, particularly the wedge felts, rub against the strings as they are lifted. Some noise is normal.
Posted by: MPP

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 07:28 PM

My piano does this to a small degree. Character.

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 08:11 PM

Thanks. I feel reassured and thrilled to be a Steinway owner. It's a beauty smile and the folks on this board are great - event the Steinway bashers!
Posted by: HNB

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 08:26 PM

Hi nylawbiz,

I'm surprised nobody here has said this yet... congratulations on your new piano!

How about posting some pics?
Posted by: fingers

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 08:49 PM

nylawbiz,

Congratulations on your new arrival!

Damper woosh sound is perfectly normal. It can often be heard on recordings of pianos. I happen to like the effect and it is one distinguishing feature of an acoustic over a digital.

fingers

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/05/09 09:04 PM

Thanks for the congrats!!! A link to pics have been posted on the thread about my considerations regarding buying the piano.

These are the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/nylawbiz/SteinwayO?feat=directlink

Please let me know what you folks think. Thanks again!!!

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 03:34 AM

Wow, that's a beautiful instrument. I'm jealous smile

The wood and finish look exactly the same as my mother's Gors & Kallman which is about the same age, and is the piano I grew up playing.

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 03:47 AM

Thanks HNB. I am justing getting to know the piano, but it is beautiful to hear and see for sure. The 17,900 price tag was very reasonable, considering it had a full Steinway rebuild in 1990 (including a new soundboard). I never thought I would owner such a wonderful piano. Now I need to advance my piano skills, so I can get the most out of her.

Again, I must say that this forum was an invaluable asset in educating myself about Steinways and pianos in general, and obtaining good advice on this major purchase for my family.
Posted by: Monica K.

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 09:05 AM

That *is* one pretty piano. Congratulations, nylawbiz! smile

The damper 'whisper' is normal, nylawbiz... but it's also true that in some cases the damper pedal assembly may not be adjusted optimally resulting in a greater than normal/optimal noise. Given that you just had the piano moved, *maybe* that's going on. When you have your tech out to tune it in a couple of weeks, he/she will be able to tell you immediately if what you're hearing is in the normal range or not.

p.s. Oh, and welcome to the forum, HNB! smile

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 09:30 AM

Thanks Monica, I'll make sure the tech looks at it. The piano definitely is an incentive to practice!
Posted by: turandot

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: fingers
nylawbiz,
Damper woosh sound is perfectly normal. It can often be heard on recordings of pianos. I happen to like the effect and it is one distinguishing feature of an acoustic over a digital.

fingers

Fingers,

Careful what you wish for! If you purists make enough noise, Yamaha will sample it in for you. If that's not good enough, Roland will model it for you mathematically. If you're still not happy, Industrial Light and Magic will offer you a software piano with a whoosh to end all whooshes. grin

nylawbiz,

Excuse my impertinent outburst! Congratulations on your Steinway!
Posted by: MaryBee

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: fingers

Damper woosh sound

So that's what it's called! smile
I just got an acoustic piano this summer after playing a digital for 15+ years. That sound is one of the things I love about it.
Posted by: Strings & Wood

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 10:35 AM

Congratulations on your Steinway O!
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 11:57 AM

Congratulations!

Do you hear the damper sound when playing or just when you test the dampers without playing?

My tech told me there is something special(can't remember the details)that is sometimes done in recording studios to minimize the damper sound.

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 05:01 PM

Thank you everyone for the congrats.
Posted by: Peter Sumner- Piano Technician

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 07:10 PM

When you play music you might find that the sound it relegated as you luxuriate in the sound...
Good choice.

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 08:14 PM

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what does luxuriate mean? So far, I am happy with my choice. Jumped at it pretty quickly, but it just came into the store on consignment, the price seemed good, and I didn't want to lose it to another buyer. So I pulled the trigger after getting a quick education on here. This board is indespensible.

Thanks
Posted by: Strings & Wood

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/06/09 10:59 PM

Think, glass of wine and hot oil scented bath... company optional. smile

Re: String Vibration When Sustain Pedal is Pressed - 11/08/09 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Monica K.
p.s. Oh, and welcome to the forum, HNB! smile

Cheers! smile