Pearl River v.s. Remington

Posted by: Novice_Piano_buyer

Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/16/06 10:09 PM

Our child has just begun to take piano lessons. The teacher has recommended to get a piano at home. We are purchasing a new piano. Can someone help us determine if we should go with a Remington RV-43F Console or the Pearl River professional studio UP115P? The Pearl is priced $500 more. Is it worth the price difference? We understand the Remington is not a studio.
Thanks for your insight!
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/17/06 01:05 PM

The Pearl River piano is made in China and is typical of Chinese made pianos.

The Remington RV43F is made in Indonesia along side Kohler & Campbell. Indoneasian-made pianos are considered by most to be a little better than most Chinese-made instruments. This Indonesian factory has been producing pianos for over 25 years and their reputation for quality control is very good.
Posted by: CTPianotech

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/17/06 09:51 PM

I don't know that I've heard anything about Indoneasian pianos being "better" than Chinese pianos, or visa versa. Work at a piano restoration shop that also sells Pearl Rivers and Ritmullers and can tell you we have found them to be excellent pianos. They service well, and in our experience, hold up very well to a difficult New England climate. It's also worth noting that a studio size piano will in general, outperform a console. This not a brand thing, just a piano design issue in general. It would be more fair to compare a studio Remington to a studio Pearl River, or a console Pearl River to a console Remington.

My advice would be this - Ask the respective dealers to have the pianos you are most interested in fully serviced so you can have a final check. If possible bring, someone who can play piano with you, and from there you can feel free to pick what you like best.

Ofcourse it would also be a good idea to talk to some local piano techs about not only just the piano brands, but the local dealers. There are dealers known for being good to their instruments and their customers, and there is the opposite. In a case where you like both pianos, and they are in a similiar price range, this would be the most important consideration of all.
Best wishes in your search!
Posted by: mamma2my3sons

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/17/06 10:31 PM

Thought worth mentioning, Kohler & campbell has a different scale, different specs (the Remington & Pearl Rivers both have laminated soundboards). The K & C & Remington have significantly different manufacturers suggested retail prices (& larry fine "list" prices)too. Fyi I own a K&C.

Its my understanding as well (although I've played piano for 3 years & I'm not in the business) that Steve is right that the Indonesian products are still generally considered better than the Chinese. (although insiders seem to be saying that the Chinese are improving) I believe Kawai recently moved their operation to Indonesia. Yamaha makes their small budget grand in Indonesia as well. On the otherhand Pearl River has been chosen to make the Essex piano for Steinway.

Agree with CTpianotech that comparing apples to apples is definitely wise. Size matters!

Good luck!
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/18/06 01:10 AM

Quote:
The Pearl River piano is made in China and is typical of Chinese made pianos
Maybe at one time.

Today the Pearl River piano is really typical of.....

..... *Pearl River Pianos*.

;\) ;\)

Norbert
Posted by: Novice_Piano_buyer

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/18/06 11:50 AM

Thanks to all for your quick responses. This forum has been very helpful and interesting. I never dreamed piano buying would be this difficult. My concern with Remington is the lack of research data available due to it being introduced in 2005. The difference in tone between the console and studio is very obvious. We are deciding if it is worth the extra $700 to move to the Pearl River studio($3145 includes delivery) or a Remington studio. Again, thanks for the replies.
Posted by: Cy Shuster, RPT

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/18/06 05:21 PM

Even a few inches larger in size can make a big difference in sound. If you can't tell a difference right at the moment, you might consider renting a new piano for a while.

If you're set on making a purchase, consider that people generally buy and sell houses more often than they do pianos, which wind up being handed down to the next generation (or two). Since they last such a long time, it's really worth getting the best one you can. A 48" upright (e.g. UP-120, 120 cm) is a substantially better instrument than a 45" studio (e.g. UP-115, 115 cm). That's a good price, by the way.

Pearl River does have a track record that's well-known, although I'm not familiar with their uprights.

--Cy--
Posted by: Norbert

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/18/06 07:30 PM

Quote:
Even a few inches larger in size can make a big difference in sound.
*Can* is the catch word here.

There's a bunch of makes out there [no names mentioned...] where larger pianos are little more than simply stretched limousines.

Bigger is *not* always better.
[except more legroom in some cases.... ;\) ]

With respect to the pianos you're looking at - simply choose the better piano.

What ever its size....

Good luck!

Norbert \:\)
Posted by: CTPianotech

Re: Pearl River v.s. Remington - 02/19/06 07:25 PM

To me the biggest difference between a console and a studio is the action, although there will also be a better tonal responce. Console actions are more "compressed" out of the need to fit inside a shorter case. As a general rule, a studio will have an action much more like in a full size upright, offering better control over dynamics. While both sizes, well made, and well maitained will do a great job of helping someone early on in lessons, a studio is less likely to be "outgrown" by the performance abilities of the student in just a few years.

but then a full size upright even better, a baby grand better still, a 6' grand even better, and and and ..... Kidding aside I'd go with the best piano that your piano budget will allow. A 3145 price including delivery is an oustanding price for a well made piano such as the one you're looking at. I would recommend having an independent technician look at the piano to see if it could use a little additional dealer prep (on either piano). This can sometimes save you some $$ and or headaches down the road. Also try to remember to have fun while searching. Best Wishes Again!