Fun with Fortune Cookies

Posted by: Samejame

Fun with Fortune Cookies - 03/18/02 10:55 AM

Here's a fun thing to do with a group of "adults" (I use that term loosely) the next time you go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant. The larger the group, the more fun it is.

When you receive your fortune cookies, you have to each stand up, open it, take out your fortune, and read it aloud with the prerequisite that you end it with "...in bed!"

A group of us from work tried this out last week. It was hilarious. Mine was something to the effect of "You are fortunate in that you can do well anything that you put your hands to...in bed." Note - fun increases with considerable wine consumption.

Jamie

PS - Did you know that a babysitter is a child you invite into your home to act as an adult while you go out and act as a child?

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: Samejame ]
Posted by: Nina

Re: Fun with Fortune Cookies - 03/18/02 01:40 PM

My two fave fortune cookies:

"You will be lucky at love and find a better position."

"You will prosper in the field of wacky inventions."

Nina
Posted by: Penny

Re: Fun with Fortune Cookies - 03/18/02 02:57 PM

There was an incredible article in the LA Times a couple of years ago about the birth of the fortune and how it is still a very secretive, highly guarded business today. Very funny! Anyway, only 25 percent of cookies actually contain a fortune. The rest are "truisms," which drive me crazy. I don't want a truism cookie, I want a fortune cookie!

When I was in college, I worked at Chin Chin's Chinese restaurant in Brentwood. They dipped the fortune cookies in dark and white chocolate. The staff was always sneaking a few for themselves. I think the management knew. The fortunes always read like this:

"Honesty is the best policy."

"An honest worker is worth his weight in gold."

And other variations on a theme!

penny
Posted by: jgoo

Re: Fun with Fortune Cookies - 03/20/02 01:06 AM

Theres a small Chinese Restraunt by my house that is popular in my neighborhood. My dad and I usually go there with a couple of our friends every Friday, so I guess that you could call us regulars. The people there are really nice and now us well by now. Anyways, the last three times that we've went, at least two of us has gotten the SAME fortune in our chookies. Infact, the last time that we went, we had two other join us for a group of six that night and three of us got the same fortune, two got another fortune that were the same, and the sixth was the only person to get one that wasn't doubled or tripled. The writers must be running out of ideas. :rolleyes:
Posted by: Nina

Re: Fun with Fortune Cookies - 03/20/02 10:27 AM

Penny--

Since I know you cook, have you ever made your own fortune cookies? I made some for my daughter's birthday, with fortunes like "You will get an 'A' on your Oregon Trail report," "Justine Timberlake will call you tomorrow," etc. It was a blast!

Nina