Goodbye Dudley

Posted by: Ringer

Goodbye Dudley - 03/27/02 11:39 PM

After getting home from work, I found that Dudley Moore passed away today. Mr. Moore, of course, was not only a great actor and comedian, but a wonderful pianist. I'll always remember him in "Arthur", "Crazy People", and when he went on "The Muppet Show" when I was a kid. The world really lost a great talent today... \:\(

I don't know what other memories people have of Dudley Moore, I only knew his later career...
Posted by: Brendan

Re: Goodbye Dudley - 03/27/02 11:49 PM

Quite a wonderful pianist. I remember seeing a video of him doing the 5th Brandenburg Concerto on harpsichord and being impress on how he could make the instrument sing in spite of its dynamiic limitations. Indeed, bad news. \:\(
Posted by: Nina

Re: Goodbye Dudley - 03/28/02 10:39 AM

He was a fabulous musician, and I agree with Brendan's comments. I was most impressed with how easily he could move between classical repertoire and jazz improvisations.

Nina
Posted by: wghornsby

Re: Goodbye Dudley - 03/28/02 11:41 AM

I don't know if you were aware of the degenerative loss of muscle control towards his later years. I saw an interview a few years ago where he talked being robbed of the ability to express the music inside of him at the piano. He said it was his greatest loss and you could see the despair in his eyes. Can we not all relate to the enormity of such an illness? I think more than anything that loss broke his soul, as it probably would mine.
Posted by: Rich Galassini

Re: Goodbye Dudley - 03/28/02 04:09 PM

I always enjoyed Dudley. Good musician who could always entertain!

He will be missed.
Posted by: Nina

Re: Goodbye Dudley - 03/31/02 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wghornsby:
I don't know if you were aware of the degenerative loss of muscle control towards his later years. I saw an interview a few years ago where he talked being robbed of the ability to express the music inside of him at the piano. He said it was his greatest loss and you could see the despair in his eyes. Can we not all relate to the enormity of such an illness? I think more than anything that loss broke his soul, as it probably would mine.[/b]
Hi, wg:

Yes, I saw that interview too (or a similar one) and had the same impression. It was haunting. It's too easy to think of him as a sort of doofus comedian who appeared in a few goofy movies. In truth I think he was a brilliant comedian (remember "Beyond the Fringe"?) and, as we've said, a wonderful pianist.

Nina