Moderators Wanted

Posted by: Piano World

Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 09:35 PM

I have received more complaints to the moderator (currently only me) in the last couple of weeks then I have in the last couple of years!

It is unfortunate that as our piano community grows, so do our problems with idiots.
Considering we have over 3300 members, it is
a small percentage. But it is still causing a problem for our legitimate members.

As much as I enjoy our online community, I don't have the time to police every thread posted in every forum.
Consequently, I need to ask for volunteers to moderate each forum. Before you jump at the opportunity, be aware of the following requirements:

Moderators must:
  • Remain objective
  • Be open-minded
  • Not be overly judgemental
  • Remember our audience is World-Wide
  • Not hold personal grudges
  • Be Fair
  • Allow different points of view
  • Only edit obvious "offensive" content
  • Not impart their own personal/religious views
  • Remember.... Freedom of Speech is a fundemental right of all Americans
  • Know that I can/will override your decision if I don't agree.
  • Understand that I can grant you moderator rights, and remove those rights if I feel you are abusing them.

These are PIANO FORUMS! Overall our members/vistors have done a fantastic job of helping people make smart decisions about piano purchases, reconditioning, repairs, etc.
THAT IS WHY WE ARE HERE !!!!!!
The "Coffee Room" and "United We Stand" are for other discusions, otherwise... keep the topic focused on pianos and playing!.
Still Interested?
Contact the owner/webmaster of Piano World & PianoSupplies.com ... Frank Baxter at: moderator@pianoworld.com
***** One Last Point *****

If we continue to have problems/complaints...
I will close Piano World & PianoSupplies.com down completely!! I don't have time for these petty differences.

- Frank B.
Posted by: JBryan

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 09:45 PM

Unfortunate.
Posted by: jgoo

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:08 PM

bump
Posted by: jodi

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:09 PM

Ack. I don't want any moderators. \:\( Given how so many really talented and intelligent people around here are so capable of disagreeing so COMPLETELY with each other, I am quite certain that it won't be possible to be fair.

Jodi

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:14 PM

Jodi, I feel the same way about it, but we NEED them desperitley. Maybe, we could just have one until things get more back to normal, and then dismiss them from thier duties?

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:22 PM

I've seen worse flame wars with moderators than anything else. There will always be those who are accused of being a "favorite" of the moderator. The moderator will always be accused of not being unbiased (who is). The moderator may develop a tendency to overmoderate. I think they are more trouble than they are worth and we will end up regretting it. But I don't run the show around here.
Posted by: apple*

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:25 PM

I don't think that the fact that people disagree causes any problems. I think most people enjoy the level of discourse that disagreement calls for. IMHO all the recent problems stem from one person posting under different names from probably multiple locations on topics in every forum, changing his name and handle almost daily now. How do you logistically moderate someone like that? Wait till his (or her) posts becomes typically irritating enough to notice a pattern,then delete them?

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:26 PM

We don't need moderators. We need to ignore the pain in the neck doofuses that are causing the problem, (there are only a few of them) and quit bothering Frank with complaints. If you quit feeding their egos, they will go somewhere else. (I hear rmmp is a lot more fun than this place. If any of you doofuses would like the URL, I'll happily provide it. ;\) \:\) \:D ) Jodi

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:27 PM

Can't there be a secret moderator?

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:32 PM

I agree. Is there a way to check IP's? I think that Steinway's should be compared to all of the people who we think may be his alieses, and then have it banned.
Posted by: TomK

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:38 PM

I vote for jgoo to be moderator. Smart, cool and has a good sense of what's going on.
Posted by: JohnC

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:40 PM

Jodi,

I would tend to agree with you. I do not think moderated boards will work well here. This is a very opinionated group which does a very good job of policing itself. The minute someone puts on a badge, well, I just don't think it will work well.

I think Frank was the perfect moderator. He seldom shared any of his thoughts with us. As such I don't think anyone felt intimidated not to speak their mind. Moderators who already have expressed viewpoints will not be seen as fair, even if they are. It seems to be a no win situation. I hope I'm wrong.

Frank, regardless of the outcome, thank you for everything. You have provided a great service to many of us. I hope we can get past this little bump in the road.

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TomK:
I vote for jgoo to be moderator. Smart, cool and has a good sense of what's going on.[/b]
TomK! Thankyou for those nice words. I don't know anything about being a forum moderator though. And I think that it should be someone from off the forums, so that they won't play favriotes and/or abuse the powers. Not that I would, mind. But if noone else is willing to take on the job, then I guess I could give it a shot. Our forums that we love so much are in danger of closeing. \:\( \:\( \:\(
Posted by: gryphon

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBryan:
There will always be those who are accused of being a "favorite" of the moderator. The moderator will always be accused of not being unbiased (who is). The moderator may develop a tendency to overmoderate. I think they are more trouble than they are worth and we will end up regretting it.[/b]
I agree. I have seen it elsewhere. PianoWorld forums are by-and-large self-moderated very well.

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:46 PM

Well, I did finally make it to the archives and checked out all the Sergi threads. I wonder if that's what caused all the complaints. Seems to be one attention craving juvenile causing an awful lot of problems. Still don't want a moderator, though. Jodi

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:48 PM

Jodi, Sergei is the end of the comet's tail. He was the 7th alias I noticed.

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:51 PM

Jodi, its not just the Sergi threads. Rudeness has been mirrored throughout all of the main forums on this website for the last week or two now, all starting with Etude/Steinway/Martin/MichealD/Peter/Sergi - Imposter/Elliott(?) All of the people without (?) next to their name is one in the same, the one with (?) next to his name is questionable to be the same person as well. Did I miss any? Keep in mind that I still have reasonable belief that FYOB is NOT another Steinway.

Edit: I have removed Peter's question mark. I've read a couple of back posts that I hadn't before and now really do believe that he is indeed Steinway. And as TomK always seems to be pointing out now, he did basically admit it by slip of tounge. Peter's quote: "I am NOT Peter"
Posted by: Penny

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:51 PM

I actually DO think we need a moderator. It's not the mother-of-all-punishments. Just a peace-keeping mission! Really! And I agree that someone has to be checking the IP addresses!

But, it would probably be easier to have different moderators for the most popular forums. I don't know ANYONE here that has THAT much time.

penny

Re: Moderators Wanted - 03/31/03 10:58 PM

Yes, I'm aware of most of the incarnations. And I'll bet they just love the havock they've caused. Unfortunate we can't just ignore them, and get on with our more important arguments. Like Tommie's deliberate misspelling of my name. ;\) Jodi
Posted by: Jolly

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 10:15 AM

My thoughts about The Piano Forum are contained in Frank's post on that section of the board. I think the same moderator requirements would work for someone monitoring the Player's Forum.

The Coffee Room? Now that's a whole nuther ball of wax! This place thrives on thrust, and parry. How could one remain entirely objective, yet keep the passion, the dark humor, and occasionally the insight of the current incarnation?
Posted by: Dwain Lee

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 12:33 PM

OK, first, we have to come up with a form to be filled out by anyone who wants to be consdered for a Moderator's position... \:D \:D

(There, that ought to kill the idea dead in its tracks.)

Ignore the trolls, as well as those whose favorite form of trolling is constantly whistleblowing on every post they disagree with. I have to admit, since I don't spend as much time here as I used to, I've apparently (and blessedly) missed some troll wars. But now, and in the past, I've read lots of stuff that made the top of my head want to blow off, and even at that, I've never reported a single post or member. I love you all, even those of you I hate. :p
Posted by: Diarmuid2

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dwain Lee:

...those whose favorite form of trolling is constantly whistleblowing on every post they disagree with.[/b]
That's the big problem at this stage, because it's obviously become irritating to Frank, and that is unacceptable. Much as I don't want moderators, I think a buffer is needed to keep this nonsense away from him.
Posted by: bcarey

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 01:09 PM

Copying my post to this forum from Pianist Corner. I actually meant to put it here in the first place. \:o

I simply can not tell you how valuable this forum was to me when piano shopping. A very hearty thank you to Frank and all who helped me! I don't know what I would have done without you.

Obviously Frank sees a need for some additional help in moderating the forums. I do hope some people will come to the rescue and help him out. I only have a couple of suggestions.

First, that no dealer/salesperson be a moderator if others are available to do it. Not that they are not perfectly capable of doing so, but there would inevitably be those who would accuse that person or perceive that person of being biased, true or not.

Second, it is probably a good idea to send your recomendations for moderators in a private email to Frank. Though we might like to think this is a democratic forum, it isn't. Frank pays the bills. We enjoy. The ultimate decision of who moderates which forums is his, as it should be. It would be pointless for us to debate or vote on who should be moderators and it could prove devisive.

Last. In case there is remote possibility that someone might want me to moderate, I must say that I DO NOT want to be a moderator! I am not qualified.
Posted by: Jolly

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 01:23 PM

bcarey told this whopper:
 Quote:
I am not qualified.
Actually, you are on my short list, and probably several other folk's as well.
Posted by: benedict

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 01:53 PM

Wouldn't the problem be solved by checking the IP. Apparently it seems like one person has caused all this turmoil.

Isn't it possible to check the IP of people logging in : if MichaelD, Steinway, Peter, Sergej are only one (and a very disturbed one) person, either that person has several computers and then several IPs and then, he is the Lethal Weapon 5 or it is always the same IP and it should be possible to invite him to go somewhere else.

The forum needs damage control, not moderating.

Anyway if the coffee room was moderated, it would look like an English club with silent males reading the Times for hours.

You think it would be a good idea ?

\:D

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 01:58 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Posted by: gryphon

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by benedict:
Anyway if the coffee room was moderated, it would look like an English club with silent males reading the Times for hours. You think it would be a good idea?[/b]
Can we drink wine or smoke premium cigars? That might sway my vote.
Posted by: ksk

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jgoo:

Edit: I have removed Peter's question mark. I've read a couple of back posts that I hadn't before and now really do believe that he is indeed Steinway. And as TomK always seems to be pointing out now, he did basically admit it by slip of tounge. Peter's quote: "I am NOT Peter"
[/b]
I haven't followed the steinway story very well, but if you are talking about the peter I think you are, we were exchanging some words in swedish in a thread recently. I don't know if that proves or mean anything though \:\)
Posted by: J.O.E.

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 05:14 PM

Den här bevisar ingenting , någon idiot kanna gör så pass.
Posted by: Peter_dup2

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 05:18 PM

I am not Steinway and I have NO CLUE as to what you're talking about.
Posted by: ksk

Re: Moderators Wanted - 04/01/03 06:05 PM

Quote:
Den här bevisar ingenting , någon idiot kanna gör så pass.
:)

Well, the sentences produced by peter were not that grammatically off, and he also answered what I wrote in swedish, in swedish. The second part of the "swedish" sentence above is so wrong it's actually quite funny \:D