Attacked the Wrong Country?

Posted by: shantinik

Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:06 PM

Hey, it's just one letter. Nobody's perfect.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040719/ap_on_re_mi_ea/bush_iran_1
Posted by: JBryan

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:09 PM

Actually, we need to take them all on in one way or another. This is another of the silly arguments put forward against invading Iraq. If we had attacked Iran you can be darn sure the chorus would have been, "What about Iraq?"

Get real. :rolleyes:
Posted by: Jack Frost

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:15 PM

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/10/4426.html

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:19 PM

There is nothing known now about Iran that was not known long ago. The problem is that many (wrongly) assume that the same methods must be used on every country. The fact is that Iran is much more vulnerable to be overthrown from within than Iraq ever was and now our occupation of both Iraq and Afghanistan turns the heat up on the Mullahs considerably. Just like I have been saying for over a year. We are in a much better position for dealing with Iran now than we ever have been.
Posted by: kathyk

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:21 PM

You are right, JB. Attacking sovereign nations preemptively should not and has never been an acceptable tenet of international law. This nasty experiment in Iraq will be proof of the soundness of that rule of law - theoretical as it all may be. Therefore, I agree to the flaw in the title of this thread.

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:25 PM

I should thank you for agreeing with me but you completely (and, obviously, deliberately) misinterpreted my remarks. I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth or insult my intelligence.

If attacking "sovereign nations" is, in and of itself, a violation of international law then we are criminals already for attacking Serbia.
Posted by: shantinik

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:26 PM

Meanwhile, JB, have you gone down to the enlistment office yet? I know they would really appreciate it. You can't possibly be doing something THAT important that you can't serve your country in its hour of need.

I am looking forward to the enlistment of the Bush daughters, who, following the record of the President and Vice President, know the importance of putting their bodies on the line, especially when it is in defense of their country.

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:30 PM

Yes, Shantinik, I went down there and they said (wonder of wonders) I am too old! How dare them! I procedded to get right up in their faces and tell them they had no right to deprive me of the opportunity to serve my country but it was to no avail. They will not accept me and they were most unequivocal about that. Happy now?
Posted by: pianojuggler

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:31 PM

Now I'm afraid the U.S. will launch a nuclear first strike on South Korea.

Can you say "ooops"?
Posted by: Tom--K

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Now I'm afraid the U.S. will launch a nuclear first strike on South Korea.

Can you say "ooops"? [/b]
Can you say "Thanks Bill Clinton?"
Posted by: gryphon

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 03:19 PM

And we attacked Grenada preemptively. And John Kerry just publicly stated *he* would attack a nation preemptively. kathyk, wake up!

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 03:32 PM

And I don't agree with him on that or his vote in Iraq. But - - - - - with the choice between him and Bushwhacko, need I explain my preference?

PS Grenada was a laugable farce.
Posted by: gryphon

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kathyk:
Grenada was a laugable farce. [/b]
Please ask your husband to explain some history to you.
Posted by: reblder

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 06:16 PM

Originally posted by KathyK:
 Quote:
PS Grenada was a laugable farce.

Yes, as was Panama(1989, under George Sr.)and to put a non-partisan slant on the issue, the Dominican Republic(in 1965, authorized by ol' LBJ on the pretext that there was a serious enough Communist threat threat to warrant sendin' in the Marines).

Mark Mandell

Re: Attacked the Wrong Country? - 07/19/04 06:26 PM

And BTW, all of those at least had the pretext of bosltering a "legitimate" government.