Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here

Posted by: Piano World

Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/08/06 09:02 AM

I thought it would be interesting to find out a little about our members.

Please take a minute to take our poll[/b].

This is completely anonymous, so please be honest. You can only take the poll once.

You will need to take the poll in order to view the results. Come on, it only takes a minute.
Note:[/b] Choice # 3 for question "How Old is Your Piano" should be 11-20 years (not 1-20).

If you have suggestions for other polls, let me know.
Posted by: apple*

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/08/06 05:18 PM

i'm surprised at the pollers (pollsters?) over 50.
Posted by: piqué

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/08/06 06:46 PM

not to mention the high percentage who wrote "i live here."
Posted by: -Frycek

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/08/06 06:58 PM

Most voters have relatively new pianos, most voters have grands, most voters are satisfied with their pianos, most voters want a new piano - - - think about it
Posted by: LisztAddict

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/08/06 08:15 PM

Yes, most of us (myself included) are happy with our pianos, but we (myself included) still want something new. New simply means better (just in our heads). Human nature! \:D
Posted by: ftp

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/08/06 08:18 PM

Frank

This is an interesting poll. It would be very interesting to put in a database or spreadsheet to see how the variables relate to one another.

Alternatively, perhaps you could point out most inter-related variables or data relationships. For example what if most advanced players had uprights? Or what other answers lead to differences in the number of tunings a year--do people with new pianos tune their piano more often then people with old pianos?

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/08/06 09:10 PM

Also practice time vs recreation playing time might be interesting
Posted by: pianistical

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/09/06 12:45 AM

Sorry, double post.
Posted by: HiLine

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/09/06 06:17 AM

Do people keep having their pianos tuned twice a year even if they do not feel that is necessary?
Posted by: Frank_W

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/09/06 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HiLine:
Do people keep having their pianos tuned twice a year even if they do not feel that is necessary? [/b]
Yes. As a piano gradually goes out of tune, the person playing it day in and day out, doesn't always notice it. Plus, it's like changing the oil in your car every three-thousand miles: It's just part of taking good care of your instrument.
Posted by: starlightjenny

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/09/06 08:37 AM

Frank,

What an interesting poll!! :rolleyes:

By the way, it is a surprise to me that most guys have their piano for over 20 years!? Would you mind providing me some tips in keeping their condition so fit for 20 years?

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/09/06 05:59 PM

Speaking of polls, we have a couple others
on the main site...

Great Pianist

Favorite Composer
Posted by: Sir Lurksalot

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/09/06 08:25 PM

"Grand" outnumbers "Baby Grand" by six to one. I'm betting that one man's "Baby" is another man's "Grand."

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/10/06 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Lurksalot:
"Grand" outnumbers "Baby Grand" by six to one. I'm betting that one man's "Baby" is another man's "Grand." [/b]
I think you're right.
I should have included size ranges, but then that could get tricky...

Concert Grand - 8' 11" and larger
Half Concert Grand - 7'4"
Parlour Grand 6'8"
Drawing Room Grand - 6'4"
Professional Grand - 6'
Living Room Grand - 5'10"
Baby Grand - 5'8"
Upright - 51" and up
Vertical - 36" - 51"
Studio - 44" or taller
Console to 42"
Spinet - 36" to 38"

(from Piano Fun Facts )
Posted by: IrishMak

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/10/06 06:06 PM

In the "age of your piano" question, there should be a choice for "Way, way, way over 20 years!" LOL

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/10/06 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
In the "age of your piano" question, there should be a choice for "Way, way, way over 20 years!" LOL [/b]
Like 119
Posted by: CTPianotech

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/12/06 08:42 PM

I'd like to see how many persons playing for 10+yrs, checked for "beginner" for playing level. Maybe we, uh, I mean THEY, could start a support group

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/15/06 10:12 AM

Just bumping it back up.
Posted by: CTPianotech

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/15/06 10:34 PM

So THATS what people are doing when they write a post that says bump!
Posted by: ShiroKuro

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/29/06 07:19 PM

Oh, I really enjoyed the poll and seeing the results. Thanks!

Regarding the age of people's pianos, it would be interesting to know how many people have older pianos because the piano was purchased used, or because they have had that piano the entire time.
Posted by: AdagioM

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/30/06 12:36 AM

Hmm. I said I had a grand, but apparently I have a baby grand! 5'8"

I love that the same percentage that are satisfied with their pianos want a new piano someday (at least when I did the poll).
Posted by: Ypiano

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 09/06/06 04:06 AM

This is an interesting poll.
I'm surprised so many people have grand pianos. I thought it would be the uprights.

Thanks for putting this up Frank.
Posted by: rocket88

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 09/14/06 10:30 PM

Right now I only have a digital piano. The poll did not allow me to respond that I do not ever get it tuned. Do digital pianos have to be tuned? (Just kidding).
Posted by: annifirst

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 09/17/06 09:30 AM

So I have a living room grand? Here I've been calling it a parlour grand. I thought there were just four categories: concert grand, grand, parlour grand, and baby grand.
Posted by: s54mo827

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 09/21/06 11:52 PM

Just lurking..... interesting....

I have a digital and an old (50/60 year old acoustic upright, no name, musty smell, needs a tuning... but I love it because it was given by my Dad.

~~Sharon - Nite. ;\)
Posted by: piano_chic

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 09/29/06 05:25 PM

The Tuning questions was a little tough. I have a digital so I had to answer, "It Needs to be Tuned?"
Posted by: fourthgenerationpianorestoration

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 01/20/07 10:42 PM

The poll was interesting.I have Four pianos.A ludwig grand made by my great grandfather,restored by me.A baldwin 1930 upright.Chickering 1902 spinet. And a clunker Im going to restore when I get the time.Wouldn't you know I don't play.A fourth generation restorer of fine instruments and I never had or was encouraged to learn.
Posted by: fbieler47

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 01/14/09 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rocket88:
Right now I only have a digital piano. The poll did not allow me to respond that I do not ever get it tuned. Do digital pianos have to be tuned? (Just kidding). [/b]
I would think that an electronic piano would need tuning, mine do. Warm up the sounds by putting a few cents+ here and there for more richness. Would that be classed as a tuning??

Fred
Posted by: tickler

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 03/13/09 04:24 PM

I'm confused about polls. I don't see a FAQ that answers my questions. I hope that someone will see this post and help me out with some answers.

1. How can you tell if a poll is open or closed?

2. If a poll is closed, but you did not participate in the poll, can you see the results? If so, how?

Thanks.
Mary
Posted by: HorseMom

Re: Take The Piano Forums Poll - Here - 08/11/12 11:34 PM

Uh-huh. I have to keep mine not only in good relative tune, but also at 440 because I play in chamber ensembles, and my boyfriend is a professional violinist who wants to work repertoire with me, so the pair/groups rehearse at my house (none of them has a decent piano, much less one that's well maintained). So, I have mine tuned at least twice a year.