I really want to get into a conservatory

Posted by: nicolalovespiano

I really want to get into a conservatory - 07/12/12 12:38 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been learning the piano since I was around 9/10years old(I'm 18 now). I passed my abrsm grade 8 at the beginning of this year. I have another year to go before I have I start applying to university. I am aware that most if not all piano students accepted into conservatories enter with prodigious skills and that I lag very far behind. However, I have started to take the piano very seriously the past 3 years and am
Intending to practise for many hours a days for the next year. I am not aiming for top conservatories like curtis/Peabody etc, but I have my eyes set on conservatories such as the Sydney conservatorium. I'd like to have some advice here from everyone on whether I should go all out to pursue this dream or to be practical and continue with my accounting studies(which I hate). Just to give you an idea of my standard, I can play the following pieces at a reasonable standard;

Chopin waltz op 42 no 5
Bach partita no 2 "capriccio"
Chopin ├ętude op 10 no 5
Chopin waltz op 64 no 1
Gershwin's nouvelettes in fourths
Bach'a Italian concerto 3rd movement
Posted by: allegro_concerto

Re: I really want to get into a conservatory - 07/21/12 09:52 AM

I think you should think about what you want to do after the conservatory even if you do get into one.

But don't do accounting if you really hate it, maybe do a "related" degree like sound engineering, or do a double degree with music and something else that would give you better job security when you graduate.