Piano World Home Page
Posted By: crazypianist1116 MTNA Competitioin - 07/25/08 04:17 PM
Does anyone else participate in this? I just found out I'm doing it this November and my teacher is making me learn Chopin's 2nd Scherzo and Brahms 1st Sonata for it!
Posted By: musica71 Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/28/08 02:00 AM
Your teacher is "making" you learn?? This is a very tough competition. It would certainly be better if you wanted to do it. It is the cream of the crop so to speak. You will find that quite a few participate in it I'm afraid. Musica 71
Posted By: crazypianist1116 Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/28/08 04:20 PM
I suppose I mislead you. I do want to learn the program myself just my teacher wants me to have it learned by the state round. My teacher's other students have usually done pretty well at the state level so hopefully that's a good omen for me. Hopefully I can make it to the national level but I'll be content with whatever I get so long as I do my best.
Posted By: musica71 Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/28/08 06:22 PM
Good for you. You must be quite advanced. The repertoire you mentioned is not exactly imtermediate level. Musica 71
Posted By: Kreisler Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/28/08 08:40 PM
The MTNA competition has attracted some very high-level competitors over the last decade or two. Even the state rounds have become quite competitive.
Posted By: PianistOne111 Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/30/08 08:52 PM
Which division are you entering? Last year in my division (Young Artist) I needed 40 minutes of contrasting pieces (like from different periods). If you're doing that you need some Baroque or Classical.
Posted By: DameMyra Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/31/08 01:44 AM
Are you competing in NJ?

I noticed in another post you are in high school. Looks like the requirements for the state competition in the senior division are 25 minutes of music and must include pieces from two contrasting periods, so you'll need something besides the Chopin and Brahms which are both Romantic. You'll also need a movement from a concerto, which is to be performed at the regional and national competitions.
Posted By: crazypianist1116 Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/31/08 02:23 AM
Yes I'm competing in NJ in the senior division. I have a Bach Prelude and Fugue and Liebermann's Gargoyles for other repertoire. My concerto is Beethoven's 3rd.
Posted By: Kreisler Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/31/08 11:20 AM
Good program!
Posted By: DameMyra Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/31/08 12:15 PM
Nice program and good luck. I've been to a few of the competitions at Rowan, but usually listen to the Collegiate Division. I'll see if I can sit in on the senior competition this year.
Posted By: crazypianist1116 Re: MTNA Competitioin - 07/31/08 04:45 PM
Thanks hope to see you there!
Posted By: phonehome Re: MTNA Competitioin - 08/13/08 04:31 PM
I don't know about any of the other divisions, but the Eastern college level regionals were pretty ridiculous the time that I went in '05. Players had programs that were so big that it was almost stupid. It was something like:

Beethoven: Op. 106
Liszt: Sonata
Rzewski: The People United
Bach: The complete transcriptions
Bartok: Concerto for two pianos, played by one person

Obviously this is an exaggeration, but not by too much haha

I'm doing it this year, and hopefully I can make a splash for the great state of West Virginia. I love all the pieces on my program, and they also happen to be pretty good competition repertoire.

Beethoven: Waldstein sonata
Schumann: Arabesque and Toccata
Barber: Sonata
Rachmaninoff: 2,3,or pag...can't decide.

I can't wait! Where are the Eastern regionals being held this year?
Posted By: DameMyra Re: MTNA Competitioin - 08/19/08 01:15 AM
Originally posted by phonehome:

I can't wait! Where are the Eastern regionals being held this year?
January 9 - 10, 2009
West Chester University - West Chester,PA
Posted By: phonehome Re: MTNA Competitioin - 09/08/08 11:51 PM
Just registered! I switched out the Schumann with a Chopin etude and mazurka, but the rest of the program is the same. Gawd I'm excited. W00t!!
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums