Orion Weiss

Posted by: RickG

Orion Weiss - 03/02/03 10:40 PM

We heard a "rising star" today in El Paso. Orion Weiss , a 20 year old student at Julliard, played an amazing recital. The program consisted of:
J.S. Bach - Partita #4 in D
B. Bartok - Out of Doors Suite
A. Scriabin - Sonata #5 in F#
R. Schumann - Fantasy
He had studied at the Cleveland Institute before going to Julliard. He shows much maturity and depth as a performer.
He played on a Yamaha as that is the officical piano of the concert series. There is a NY Steinway and a Bosendorfer in the hall. The Yamaha did show its metalic sound especially in the Bartok : however, he was able to get a very nice muted sound when it was needed, especially in the Schumann.
If you have a chance to hear him, do it!
Posted by: CrashTest

Re: Orion Weiss - 03/03/03 10:34 PM

How did you like the Scriabin? Did it come out good on the Yamaha? There are many lyrical and rhymthic passages in it, so a good piano is paramount!
Posted by: RickG

Re: Orion Weiss - 03/04/03 11:47 AM

CrashTest,
Yes, I fell that the Sonata #5 in F# by Scriabin came across very well. I had not heard the work before ( I am more familiar with and concentrate more with organ works). It was more lyrical and melodic that I thought it would be. Do you play the piece?
RickG
Posted by: Hank Drake

Re: Orion Weiss - 03/04/03 04:42 PM

Orion Weiss is indeed someone special. I saw him in a recital at a Unitarian church in Cleveland about two years ago. Even though he was working with a substandard instrument (a Steinway L which needed a lot of work) his performance carried the day. I remember in particular a mature Beethoven Sonata Op. 10, No 3 with a very moving slow movement. We will be hearing more from him, no doubt.

By the way, Orion grew up about a mile from me, and his younger brother is a very talented cellist.
Posted by: StanSteel

Re: Orion Weiss - 03/05/03 11:31 PM

He is playing at El Camino College in Torrance, California this Friday (7th) at 8 PM.
Is anyone going??