(l861-1935)

Brahms: Variations and Fugue on a Theme
of Handel

Liszt: Sonata in B minor

encores:
Strauss/Grunfeld: Soiree de Vienne
Nazareth(?): ???
Moszkowski Etude in F major

The first three pieces are by Brazilian composers and were incredibly beautiful and relatively easy technically(anyone know if they are available in print?). The entire program was played with amazing technical and musical skill. The only thing I didn't care for so much was the Liszt since it seems like I've heard it so much and although I certainly don't dislike this work, I don't feel it can compare to the Brahms. The Strauss waltz transcription(to which he added lots of his own details, making it even harder) was incredible. I think I liked it more than any of the other famous Strauss transcriptions(3 by Godowsky, Schulz-Evler, Tausig, others by Grunfeld). And hearing someone play in a very small hall(I would guess it seats 300-500) is twice as exciting as seeing someone in Carnegie!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: magnezium

Re: Arnaldo Cohen recital - 08/15/02 10:58 AM

Sorry to be replying to this so late, but it just struck me that Cohen performed here last year. He played the Brahms Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Handel, the Liszt Sonata and the Bach-Busoni Chaconne in D Minor. From what I remember, it was a fabulous performance. Not a single dull moment.