Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive

Posted by: PianoSeeker

Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 02:06 PM

Hi folks,

I'm having my piano delivered (today, supposedly). In fact, that deliverer was supposed to arrive about an hour ago! No one at the piano shop has heard from him so I think I have enough breathing room to ask these questions.

All questions relate to a 49'' upright. I've done a search on the forum and have not see these particular questions addressed.

1. What is the cost to move a piano up 2 flights of stairs (big landing in the middle, no corners / turns).

I'm getting a quote of $225 for the piano, $60 for each flight plus mileage from the store, which amounts to another $100. Is this EXTREMELY excessive?

I don't want to skimp but this seems like a lot.

2. Do any of you know piano movers in Chicago that you recommend?

3. Has anyone had experience moving an upright using a crane? The piano movers came over to give an estimate and they can't get the piano into the room I would love to have it in going through the house.

Has anyone moved a piano using a crane to a 3rd story apartment through a window?

The window is a few inches taller and wider than the piano.

ANY input would be highly appreciated
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 02:31 PM

While the rates you quote are a little high they are not far out of line.

A "flying" delivery (a crane, lift or Block & Tackle), in high risk and expense. We do one or two a year. Usually costs are $1000-$2000 depending on circumstances. THIS IS A HIGHLY SPECIALIZE TECHNIQUE. BE SURE THE MOVER IS VERY EXPERIENCED.

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 04:10 PM

Steve,

Thank you so much. I feel so much better after reading your advice. I'm going to just go ahead with the standard move and not mess around with the crane at all. I also spoke with a few other piano moving companies and their advice was completely consistent with yours.

I was just a little nervous after reading previous posts where someone indicated that a piano move should cost around $120!!!!

Thanks again.
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 04:32 PM

Pianoseeker:

Too late to do you any good for today, but since you asked: when I had my Estonia moved in to my condo - second floor - it had to be moved in with a crane, and the move was done by a piano moving company. It was they who hired the crane and operator. Total cost of move from dealer to my second floor living room (about 20 miles) $750.00

Regards,
Posted by: Steve Cohen

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 04:56 PM

Bruce. You got away cheap!!
Posted by: BruceD

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
Bruce. You got away cheap!![/b]
Gee, if I "got away cheap" maybe I should do it again and trade the 168 (5 ft 6) for the 193 (6 ft 3)?

Regards,

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceD:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Cohen:
Bruce. You got away cheap!![/b]
Gee, if I "got away cheap" maybe I should do it again and trade the 168 (5 ft 6) for the 193 (6 ft 3)?

Regards,[/b]
All,

After watching them DRAG this 600 lb upright up about 55 stairs ONE STAIR AT A TIME using 4 guys, I'm convinced I got off EASY.

I gave them a big tip and thanked them profusely every 10 minutes.

I had no idea that moving an upright was harder than moving a GRAND!!!
Posted by: CrashTest

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/11/03 10:19 PM

My piano cost about 150 or so to move here, it is a grand, not an uprigth though. I was very worried it would not fit through a passage way with a very low drop, but fortunately another route was found. If I want to get a 9 footer in though, I think the only way is the crane!
Posted by: BDB

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/12/03 02:08 AM

Quote:
I had no idea that moving an upright was harder than moving a GRAND!!!
Oh, yes, and more dangerous. Uprights are top-heavy and can tip.

Grands require special equipment and knowledge of the technique, but they are easier to move.

In both cases, moving pianos is best left to those who know what they are up against.
Posted by: Palindrome

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/14/03 11:41 PM

AllforBach had her piano moved into her house with a block and tackle, and a three-story scaffold. I'll try to provoke her into posting images.
Posted by: Piano World

Re: Piano Moving - advice please - time sensitive - 06/15/03 12:10 AM

I started in the piano business delivering pianos (0uch!).
I can't tell you how many times I heard ... "It should be easy", "the stairs are wide", "we have an elevator" (the piano wouldn't fit horizontally), "the sofa came up this way" (since when did a sofa weigh 750Lb?).

I learned to tune/repair/sell pianos because I didn't want to carry the *%&$# things anymore!

Then I got even smarter and started Piano World \:D

My hats off to qualified piano movers.

- Frank B.
Piano World