Why do pianists like cats so much?

Posted by: Frito

Why do pianists like cats so much? - 10/17/11 11:01 PM

Most pianists I know have cats. But why? They have such an uneven temperment. And they will jump on the piano, maybe get inside the piano, and surely get their fur all over the piano, inside and out.

But a dog obediently sits next to you and admiringly looks up to you. You can flub the piece completely, but the dog will still look at you and listen intently as though you were Horowitz playing. The cat would simply look at you briefly in disgust, maybe hiss briefly, then walk away and sulk or hide.

So why cats? confused
Posted by: rada

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 10/18/11 10:49 AM

I think it's because cats are independent and so is a pianist in the sense that as a soloist the pianist works alone.

rada

btw...my cats are not allowed on my pianos...
Posted by: Jose Hidalgo

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 10/24/11 01:35 PM

I don't know why, but I play piano and have cats....
but... I could also have dogs, I just don't have dogs because the space they need.
Posted by: Studio Joe

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 10/26/11 10:35 AM

I am a pianist and don't have a cat. Never have. I don't hate cats, just don't want them around.

I have a hound dog named Bubba. He likes to lie at my feet when I play.

Bubba don't like cats. When a stray cat comes around he chases it away.
Posted by: msirukandjisting

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 12/15/11 12:50 AM

Ohhhhh cats rock

All my four girls are pianists and allll looooovvvveeeee cats - like me... mine sleeps, my cat that is, 23 hours a day - easy as

Cats are individuals - want you when they want you and exclude you when they don't

Dogs are like babies and toddlers - constantly need to be reassessed for barking, poos in the yard lol and you can't just go away for days and leave a dog like you can a cat

Individuals I think....

Just to add, often, pianists are referred to as being introverted - they play for themselves, they are not in a group, they practice when suits them etc etc - cats are often associated with introverts... just a thought
Posted by: chelle218

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 02/22/12 12:30 AM

Agreed with the cats are introverted comment!
Also I'm seriously convinced that my cats appreciate piano playing. They definitely don't sulk! They almost always sit in the room with me while I'm practicing. Sometimes they try to climb in my lap, which can become a problem, haha.
Posted by: dontfeedthebears

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 03/25/12 06:19 PM

Well I certainly don't have any cats. And I don't really plan to anytime soon, either. Are you saying that all pianists are introverted? Because that's really not true at all for me. Sure, I practice by myself for and hour and a half or more each day, but that means I have 22 and a half to go be an extrovert.
Besides, I love it when my dogs come in and listen to me play. Until they start barking at the person walking outside.
Posted by: Marzeline

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 04/22/12 10:05 PM

because piano is like a lion and since it is enough to have in home one lion they just take miniature LOOOOOOOOOL because lions can only get on those of their kin
Posted by: HighheeledPianist

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 04/29/12 03:48 PM

I have both cats and dogs, but I am definitely more of a cat person. I agree with the introvert comment, considering I am a totally introverted pianist. I love when my cats will sit down next to me on the bench and follow my fingers with their eyes! But then they kind of get in the way... (^..^)
Posted by: Balls of Fire

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 05/16/12 12:40 PM

I've often wondered this as well. There was an old lady in our neighborhood growing up that had a piano.....and about 17 cats. We called her the old scary cat lady. Those darned cats were always having kittens and crapping in my dads work boots. He hated them. Lol

On a side note, her house always smelled just like Dad's boots.....yuck!
Posted by: Dirty Waffles

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 05/16/12 04:04 PM

I love when my cat lays on piano while I play. His tail swings almost as if he is setting the tempo for me.
Posted by: Fingered

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 05/16/12 04:20 PM

removed
Posted by: Dirty Waffles

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 05/16/12 04:29 PM

Removed uncalled for quote

wow
Posted by: goldenevening

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 08/05/12 11:30 AM

Very interesting thread. I kind of laughed at the comment above saying that pianists like cats because both are introverted. What a generalization! I consider myself to be an introvert and I have three dogs. I prefer dogs to cats because they strive to return the love and attention you give them, more so than cats in my experience. It is such a joy to come home after a quick errand and see all three dogs genuinely excited to see me again.
However, interestingly enough, two out of my three former teachers had two cats. The other had a dog. Maybe the OP does have a point...
Posted by: goldenevening

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 08/05/12 11:31 AM

Very interesting thread. I kind of laughed at the comment above saying that pianists like cats because both are introverted. What a generalization! I consider myself to be an introvert and I have three dogs. I prefer dogs to cats because they strive to return the love and attention you give them, more so than cats in my experience. It is such a joy to come home after a quick errand and see all three dogs genuinely excited to see me again.
However, interestingly enough, two out of my three former teachers had two cats. The other had a dog. Maybe the OP does have a point...
Posted by: allegro_concerto

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 08/09/12 04:08 AM

I got neither cats or dogs, but I always wondered how they would react when you play the piano...
Posted by: 9symphony9

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 08/11/12 08:03 PM

I like cats also. But I play on my Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard.
Posted by: tonedefreegan

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 10/21/12 01:17 AM

I loathe cats. That is to say, wild cats - big and small - are glorious, but domestic cats about attractive a housepet as a goldfish. actually less. I quite like fishies.

Dog lover - and bad pianist. The other pianist who live here are all dog lovers and cat loathers, too. But fear not, we also discriminate when it comes to actual dog breeds. no ornamental fluffy yappers here. Just sensible, utilitarian working dogs.
Posted by: gsmonks

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 03/22/13 03:07 AM

Franz Scherbit loved kitties, and drew them in ink on his compositions.

I have three cats and only one pie-anna.

Kitten on the keys was probably written by a cat lover.
Posted by: Immortal Beloved

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 05/19/13 06:03 AM

Cats > people.
Posted by: rnaple

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 08/11/13 09:30 AM

It's the same way with recording studios. Most of them have cats. Many have dogs. I think it is more of an animal lover in music.
I have cats because they are easy to take care of. An apartment isn't great for a dog. I love animals. I am nuts about dog's. Wasn't nuts about cats until one I recently got. She is very interactive. She talks to me. She's an absolute sweetheart.
Posted by: Steve Warner

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 10/02/13 11:33 AM

I play the piano and I have cats. Therefore all piano players have cats. My logic is flawless. I am also a mathematician - my specialty is mathematical logic. So what I just said must be correct.
Posted by: joonsang

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 03/13/14 01:57 PM

This is the first time i've heard of pianists liking cats being common, but it is certainly true for me! I love cats so much. You can stare at their little perfectly framed faces for hours and laugh at the IDGAF look they always seem to have. And their personality shines in that they don't offer their "warmth" all the time or as easily as other animals.
Posted by: Hrodulf

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 03/13/14 05:33 PM

I love cats but we can't have one because I'm allergic.
Posted by: compianist1

Re: Why do pianists like cats so much? - 03/20/14 06:05 AM

YOU SAY THAT MOST PIANISTS HAVE CATS? WHATEVER I DON'T CARE BUT I AGREE