Book Review: My Life with the Great Pianists by Franz Mohr

Posted by: tranquillo

Book Review: My Life with the Great Pianists by Franz Mohr - 06/30/12 04:22 PM

I recently obtained the 1992, 1995 copyrighted book by Franz Mohr entitled My Life with the Great Pianists. I completed reading it in two days and enjoyed it very much.

Franz Mohr is well known for his work with Steinway pianos in the U.S. as a technician and concert pianist liaison. He worked with notables such as Horowitz, Gould, Rubinstein, Gilels, Cliburn, and others. The book is full of personal stories of his interactions with the pianists. Mohr brings his faith perspective into the stories. I found it to be a fascinating and personal account. Amazon.com used books, very low price. If you get one, enjoy, it's a great book.
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Book Review: My Life with the Great Pianists by Franz Mohr - 07/05/12 12:28 AM

I found the book a bit interesting, but IMO far too much on the 'faith.' To me it was a turnoff, especially because the reason we're interested in a book by Mohr is because of the other stuff, not that. Yet, I realize that the reason he wrote such a book must have been that this was the book that he wanted to write; he wasn't interested to write a book only about what people might be interested to see. And I respect and admire that. Also I'm glad that people like yourself do appreciate that aspect of his book.

So, I admire and respect what he did. But I didn't like the book a whole lot.