Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . .

Posted by: peterws

Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . . - 01/21/13 07:24 PM

I am being fecetious tonight, ladies and gentleman. It has absolutely everything to do wi the fact that I have had one or two . . .It was good. Very good . . . . .
Posted by: MomOfBeginners

Re: Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . . - 02/22/13 04:16 PM

When I was in school 25 years ago, I was taught to put two spaces after a full stop.

My elementary school daughter is now learning to type. In the textbook that she has, it says to put only one space after a full stop.

Has the standard changed?
Posted by: Little_Blue_Engine

Re: Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . . - 02/23/13 09:59 PM

I've been told that it is changing and I've noticed that when I put two spaces after the punctuation on facebook or on the forums here it automatically deletes one of them. I still prefer the look of two spaces instead of just one.
Posted by: beet31425

Re: Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . . - 02/23/13 10:06 PM

Relevant:

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

-J
Posted by: Little_Blue_Engine

Re: Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . . - 02/23/13 10:23 PM

I saw that a few months ago. I found it irritating that the writer insists that all the two spacers are ignorant. We are simply doing what we were taught was correct when we were in high school and college. Someday all us two spacers will die off or become to feeble to type and then the writer of the article will be able to breathe a big sigh of relief.
Posted by: aTallGuyNH

Re: Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . . - 02/23/13 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MomOfBeginners
When I was in school 25 years ago, I was taught to put two spaces after a full stop.

My elementary school daughter is now learning to type. In the textbook that she has, it says to put only one space after a full stop.

Has the standard changed?

Yes, it's a throw-back to the era of fixed width fonts. The details are explained in the Slate article linked above.

I was in school 20 years ago and I was on the tail end of the era when computers had green screens with fixed width fonts. Double-spaces were starting their slow decline with the advent of the original Apple Macintosh.
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Two spaces, please, between the full stop and next word . . - 02/25/13 02:39 PM

I have noticed that in some programs .... is automatically changed to . . . .
Now I know why!