Would You Use It???

Posted by: Piano World

Would You Use It??? - 08/05/03 09:29 AM

I'm thinking of having some custom work done on
our forums. It isn't cheap, so I'd like to get a feel for whether or not you would use them.

These are what I'm thinking about:
  • Games -- Lots of fun games, thought they might be handy to use as stress relievers.
    Games Examples
  • Forum Statistics -- Just something interesting so you can see how our forums are doing. Statistics Example (scroll to bottom of page)
  • Email Notification of Reply -- Receive email notification of replies to a topic, even if you aren't the topic starter. This is an OPTION, not automatic.[/b] You have to choose to receive the notification on a per topic basis, and YOU CAN TURN IT OFF whenever you want.[/b]
  • Spell Check -- I know I need this one:-}
Posted by: Derick

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/05/03 12:55 PM

I took the poll but just want to make a quick comment...

Aside from the spell checker, which would be incredibly useful for an illiterate engineer such as myself (a thesaurus would also be great!), the statistic I would find interesting is the number of views there were of a particular thread and/or post. Speaking only for myself, that's the only statistic I think that would be interesting.

Derick
Posted by: justme

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/05/03 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Derick:
I took the poll but just want to make a quick comment...

Aside from the spell checker, which would be incredibly useful for an illiterate engineer such as myself (a thesaurus would also be great!), the statistic I would find interesting is the number of views there were of a particular thread and/or post. Speaking only for myself, that's the only statistic I think that would be interesting.

Derick [/b]
Ditto, Frank,also I'd change my negative vote to positive on the speller if you were to add the thesaurus.

JAT,
Posted by: CrashTest

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/05/03 04:40 PM

These look like some good features, although the games are not as interesting.

\:D

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/06/03 08:02 AM

Everyone should understand, none of the new features I'm talking about are mandatory.

You can choose to use them or not.

For example, the notification of replies to
a topic was something a number of people asked for. You don't have to use it (it isn't automatic) and you can turn it on or off for a given topic anytime.

I know most people aren't interested in the games, but some of them are actually pretty good, and fun to play.
If you don't want to play them, you just don't click the link.

- Frank B.
Piano World
Posted by: virtuoso_735

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/06/03 08:54 PM

I think that the statistics and spell check would be a useful feature. Games would be nice, but I dont think that they are really necessary. Very thoughtful of you, Frank.
Posted by: Ariel

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/07/03 01:38 AM

More neat stuff coming on PW - Thanks a lot, Frank!

\:\)

By the way, that's a very interesting website link you provided as an example (I guess) of web-site options. You know, UGN BS. Correction, I think my son will really like it. He's very into security and such. I'll pass it on to him.

Ariel
Posted by: Annihil8or

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/08/03 02:30 PM

Voted yes for games just for the hell of it.

Voted yes for stats as number of views is useful.

Voted no for e-mail and spell-checker.

Re: Would You Use It??? - 08/08/03 03:12 PM

So far:
About 1/4 of the people voting might try the games. (now, if we extropolate that to the full membership, it's about 1000 people:-)

Nearly 80% are interested in the forum stats.

Email notification is runing about half and half (remember, you don't have to use this feature, and it can be turned on/off for individual topics at any time).

About 2/3 might like to use spell checker (which, by the way, is also optional).

I will make decisions soon. I might throw in the whole ball of wax. You can use what you want, and ignore what you don't.

- Frank B.
Piano World