Piano World Home Page
Posted By: sarabande recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/03/06 03:43 AM
As busy musicians, with practicing to do, performances, gigs, musical events to attend, students to teach, etc., I think it would be great for everyone to post their fast meal ideas, quick or do-ahead recipes. Having meals that are quick to fix would allow us more time for our music-related endeavors. Hey, if we could shave off some time preparing meals, it would give us more time to practice the piano! I know too as a piano teacher, one is often teaching right around what would be meal time and could use quick meal ideas. What does everyone eat when you have to rush to gigs, musical events, teach, and so on?

Please share your meal ideas and recipes.
Posted By: IrishMak Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/07/06 06:14 PM
I let my husband cook.... wink
Posted By: apple* Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/07/06 06:22 PM
nuts
Geeszh.. apple... I came down here figuring you were going to post some mouth-watering recipe.. and this is all you have to offer??? Nuts???!!!

Anyway, I'm with IrishMak... I let my dh do the cooking. Tonight's menu was a delicious homemade Italian tomato sauce with ziti and meatballs.

I grated the cheese and poured the wine!
Posted By: sarabande Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/08/06 05:50 AM
- letting the spouse cook sounds like a plan. I wish I would have thought of that when getting married - one criteria is that they should be able to cook.

Apple, your idea is a good one. I am reminded once also that someone told me they drink Campbell's Soup In Hand a lot for quick, on the go meals.

I could live off soup and nuts when in a hurry but now just to convince my family . . . hmmm.

If I am organized, which is rare, I sometimes start chili or something ahead in the crockpot on days I have piano lessons right up until supper time. It's so nice to have it ready and just eat without having to scramble to fix something right after a lesson.

Eggs and Bacon - another one of my famous fast meals for dinner.
Posted By: buxtehude Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/08/06 08:01 AM
Having 3 scheduled very busy days a week, we cook days in advance for those busy days. Sit down every sunday, make a meal plan for the week; cook double (or triple) the days where it is possible and put in the refrigirator (or freezer) for later use - just take out and warm in the micro-oven or on the stove and cook some rice or pasta or whatever. Can't really be faster than that! Also you can make a fresh salad* in the morning and put it in the fridge, takes only 5 minutes. And you'll be glad you took the time later!

We have some friends, who (think they) are so busy, that they cook for the whole week every sunday: the entire family including the four kids busy making meals for 7 days in one afternoon!

Cheers,
The Cooking Spouse

*(Easy, quickly done salad: Fine-chopped leafs of arugula, cherry-tomatoes, chopped thin, red paprika, avocado, scallion, all chopped to small pieces, pumpkin-seeds roasted lightly on a dry frying-pan (till they start 'popping'), coarsely grated carot, salt, pepper, a teaspoon mustard, olive oil, vinegar. The chopping is important, gives flavor.)
sandwiches.... always sandwiches........... sometimes pasta which is cooked in bulk and frozen.

Grab yourself a tin of tuna slices, Cherry tomatoes , mushrooms, cheese and some lettuce.

A great healthy salady thing for a musician on the go! For those who wish to eat while at the piano, whack the same ingredients in a sandwich and practice one hand at a time!
Posted By: apple* Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/08/06 11:02 PM
ok here's a fast meal..

actually quite good tho it sounds stupid

Boil a 3 qts of water - that will give you almost the perfect amount of broth. (no need to drain)

break angel hair pasta into 1.5 inch pieces and boil. (breaking it up before hand makes it easier and neater to eat) After pasta is almost done, add 2 - 4 tbls chicken base (*buillion - available in the soup section) and either 1 can of mushroom soup or 1.5 inches of Velveeta loaf sliced or cubed, melt velveeta or incorporate soup (with a whisk).

that's it - but here is the excellent clincher - serve it with frozen mixed vegetable.. a couple tbls added per bowl cools it down so you can eat it super fast.

seriously.. it's great

i serve it with nuts, carrots and celery.

the kids love it.
Posted By: Monica K. Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/10/06 02:54 AM
Here's something that's quick but tastes like it's not:

Skillet Chicken Parmiagiana

--Take some chicken breast tenderloins (the thin-sliced stuff), dredge in a combination of flour and a dash of salt. Place in large skillet and brown in 2 T heated olive oil about 3-5 min. each side. Reduce heat to simmer. Pour about half a jar of marinara sauce around the chicken pieces, cover each piece with shredded mozzarella cheese, then sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted, about 10 min. Sprinkle with fresh grated pepper and serve.
apple...next time I "have" to cook, I'll give it a try!! wink
Posted By: IrishMak Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/10/06 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Terrytunes:
Anyway, I'm with IrishMak... I let my dh do the cooking. Tonight's menu was a delicious homemade Italian tomato sauce with ziti and meatballs.

I grated the cheese and poured the wine!
We had spaghetti with homemade sauce and meatballs the other night, and I did much the same thing as you did!!! LOL

NICE to have a spouse that cooks. I can, and am ok at it, but I just don't enjoy it and he truly does. And loves to experiment with new stuff and he makes wonderful meals.

But, oh, ok- Here's one that is not difficult and you can get a bit more playing time in while it bakes: (Our middle daughter requests this every year for her birthday meal!)

Tuna Casserole:

1 bag wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
2 cans tuna in water, drained
2 cans cream of celery soup
Milk
Celery Seed
Dry mustard
Salt and pepper
Bread crumbs
1 T (or so) of butter
Parmesan cheese
Grated cheddar cheese

Spray a lasagna pan with cooking spray. Pour the cooked noodles in the pan. In a large bowl, mix the soup with 2 soup cans of milk. Stir in celery seed, a pinch of dry mustard and add salt and pepper to taste. (Check the taste before you salt- the soup will have some salt in it and depending on your taste, you may not need to add any.) Pour the sauce over the noodles. Melt the butter in a skillet, stir in the bread crumbs. You want the crumbs moistened, but not soupy. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the noodle mixture in the pan, sprinkle on the two cheeses, either mixed together or in layers. Put the pan in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly.
Posted By: HannahT Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 11/14/06 11:21 PM
1) stick panini bread or a section of french baguette in the oven.

2) while thats warming, fry some chicken in onion and rich tomato sauce (canned tomatoes will do). add some herbs and spices to your wish, even a stock cube perhaps.

3) once thats cooked, fill up the bread with the chicken and add some salad with it if you want.

alternatively.. good ol' beans and toast!
Posted By: Arabesque Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 01/10/07 10:30 AM
Sushi is relatively cheap here, and healthy. I don't have to cook anything. Just a box of sushi for me. I can put it on the piano lid beside me and play as I eat. It's the ideal meal on the go. Low in carbs. High in protein, and I can reduce my weight with it. But that's strictly when there are no guests of course.
Posted By: hotkeys Re: recipes: quick meals for busy pianists - 08/04/07 07:56 PM
I usually like turkey breast with a mixed salad (greens, 6 sticks of celery, some tomatoes, strewed carrots). I vary it with tuna as I take this to work. I also try to use the natural juices of tuna instead of salad dressing or relish when I have turkey breast. I also drink plenty of water instead of these soft drinks.

-Mark
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums