Piano World Home Page
Posted By: plays88skeys Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 03:27 PM
We always had a fresh tree until recently. In 2001 the area had a really severe drought and the trees were so dry that the fire marshall condemned them all. So everyone had to get a fake one.

I don't know why we waited so long! You can bend those branches to accommodate whatever you're hanging, you don't have to water it, it always looks nice and when the season is over, you fold it up like an umbrella until next year!

The only thing I miss about a fresh tree is the scent, and I certainly do not miss the dropped needles, sap, watering, etc...
Posted By: WynnBear Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 03:37 PM
Last Christmas we bought a beautiful tree, got it into water within 10 minutes of a fresh cut, and it never drew water and died. It was fully decorated by this time. Took it down, put up another fresh tree that lasted through the season.

This year we bought a beautiful tree, got it into water within 10 minutes of a fresh cut, and it never drew water and died. It was fully decorated by this time. Took it down.

Went to Lowes and bought a pre-lit artificial tree. 1,250 lights, 2,100 branch tips. Looks very real, just very bright (1,250 lights, don't ya know).

Miss the scent of the fresh tree, but I don't miss crawling under the tree to check the water, sweeping up needles, etc., etc., etc.

Now, how do I store this thing that packs down to 4'x3'x3' and weighs 70+ pounds? The house is only 1,500 sq. ft. so space is truly at a premium. 70 pounds up the attic steps is not an attractive option, but that's what it will come to, I'm sure.
Posted By: markjpcs Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 04:07 PM
I was a "real tree or no tree" person for most of my adult life. We had artificial trees all during my childhood and I hated them. So when I had my own family nothing but a real tree would do!

For 16 years I trudged through snow looking for that "perfect tree" at the various tree farms in the area.

Two years ago we could not find "the perfect tree". I decided that I was going to resign myself to the fact that I could have the same "perfect tree" year to year if I would just get over it and buy a "fake".

I found a great fake and proceeded to spend about 5 days "pre-lighting it myself with about 2,000 lights.

I will never again buy a "real tree" for Christmas.
Posted By: jodi Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 04:17 PM
Fresh. Cut from a farm just down the road, and put up last night. It's beautiful.

smile Jodi
Posted By: kenny Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 04:19 PM
We get a real one.
When I was single I usually didn't get one.

We get a small imperfect one.
Less stress, $$$, and hassles.
I refuse to go too crazy over Christmas.
Keep it simple, I say.

It is a nice tradition.
Jose does most of the decorating, I play piano for him. smile
Posted By: RonTuner Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 04:20 PM
First year with a "fake" - prelit tree. Found it at Target... not yet decorated. Spent yesterday up and down the ladder outside. (owwwww, my legs) I've promised to go find a nice, real garland to hang inside to get the tree smell - wish me luck!
We used to have realy trees but Mum would try & keep it outside during the year, and we'd end up with a bare skeleton hanging around in the summer. I didn't mind the needles as I didn't have to clear them up most of the time - but we've now got a pretty fibre-optic tree. I miss the smell though.
Posted By: ilm Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 05:41 PM
I liked reading all you had to say about trees -- and yes, fakes are good because they are not a fire hazard.

I guess no one can tell me where I can get that table top tree that is on the cover of Martha Stewart Living. I'm guessing that tree is real???
Posted By: Cindysphinx Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 05:43 PM
We had fakes growing up, so we always get a real tree.

I'll stop when the house burns to the ground. smile
Posted By: Nina Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 05:43 PM
Originally posted by kenny:

It is a nice tradition.
Jose does most of the decorating, I play piano for him. smile
Sounds wonderful.

I love the smell of a fresh tree, and there's no canned scent that can even come close. (I was going to say "hold a candle to the real thing," but given the previous posts and worries about fire, I thought the better of it. smile )

Nina
Posted By: Bernard Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 07:35 PM
My artificial tree (which looks really real) has spent the last 3 Christmases in the closet. I prefer real tree, nothing comes close to that real scent.
Posted By: QuirtEvans Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 09:49 PM
Fake trees are for heathens!

So says Quirt -- druid-in-training
Posted By: ycul Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 10:07 PM
Surfed any ley lines druid boy?
Posted By: apple* Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/06/04 10:08 PM
you will not be surprised to learn we grow our own.. transplanted a carefully nurtured Kansas Cedars... Sparse and prickly - yet shapely. just like a woman I know.
Posted By: jinganinja Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/07/04 11:09 AM
I have an artificial tree which does look real.
Real tree's would annoy me if i had one, i dont know why but i dont think i would enjoy taking care of it, im happy with my tree and thats all that matters smile
Posted By: ilm Re: Christmas trees - fake or fresh? - 12/25/04 01:49 AM
If anyone can get on yahoo.com, there is an article about renting live Christmas trees. I think that is a great idea! See if you can check it out.
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums