Piano World Home Page
Posted By: PianonaiP Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 05:32 PM
Any Chopin fans?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0t2eVyVgOc

See if you can pick out the pieces!
Posted By: beet31425 Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 05:48 PM
That was fun! At least a dozen different pieces, including (I think) a whiff of the second Scherzo, just before the Fantasie-Impromptu towards the end. But what was the theme at the very very end? After all of that, how could they not finally celebrate with Chopin?

-J
Posted By: PianonaiP Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 05:53 PM
Yes I was wondering too about the final theme, it's so familiar but I can not place it. It starts with the Revolutionary Etude of course. Lets see if we can get a full list.

1. Chopin Op 10. No 12
Posted By: Carey Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 05:54 PM
At the very very end it sounds like a Bavarian drinking song !! Certainly not a "classical" composition by a major composer.
smile
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 06:03 PM
I love when people post stuff like this -- I think cartoons were the main way that I got hooked on classical music, before I even knew what it was.

And I don't think I've ever seen this one before.

About that last thing: I think we can be pretty sure anyway that it ain't Chopin. smile
But it could be by some other "classical" composer.
Posted By: PianonaiP Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I think cartoons were the main way that I got hooked on classical music, before I even knew what it was.

I agree 100%. I used to watch Looney Toons every time I could; even today I will recognize pieces I have never 'heard' before most likely from watching cartoons. I am sure most of us remember seeing 'What's Opera Doc?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What%27s_Opera,_Doc%3F
Posted By: beet31425 Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 06:19 PM
Here's what I've got so far. A couple embarrassing gaps.

0:36 revolutionary etude
1:36 ?? (I know it, but what is it?)
1:55 nocturne in F# op.15 #2
2:15 middle section of the F# major nocturne
2:45 etude op10 #2
3:08 etude op10 #4
3:43 ?? same as 1:36; still don't know it
4:30 "butterfly" etude
5:05 C minor prelude
5:15 (is this the ending chords of Aolean harp?)
5:40 waltz
6:18 2nd scherzo
6:30 fantasie-impromtu
Posted By: Mattardo Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 06:33 PM
Nice. I just picked up a 12 Disc Set of Tome and Jerry Cartoons from someone. I haven't watched many yet, but I'll keep my ears open!
Right now, I'm hoping that the cartoons are the original versions.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by beet31425
Here's what I've got so far.....

0:36 revolutionary etude
1:36 ?? (I know it, but what is it?)
1:55 nocturne in B op.15 #2
2:15 middle section of the B major nocturne
2:45 etude op10 #2
3:08 etude op10 #4
3:43 ?? same as 1:36; still don't know it
4:30 "butterfly" etude
5:05 C minor prelude
5:15 (is this the ending chords of Aolean harp?)
5:40 waltz
6:18 2nd scherzo
6:30 fantasie-impromtu

Let's see if I can help fill in those blanks.....

1:36: Aha! They make it tough by playing it so slow!
It's one of the secondary/tertiary themes of Waltz #1. You'll recognize it now.

2:15: You know this too, and this one they make tough by changing the rhythm. It's the middle section of the F# major Nocturne.

5:15: With all that noise I can't hear a thing. ha
Actually I do hear fragments of melody, and from what I do hear, "ending of Aeolian harp etude" is a good guess. I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't said it.
Posted By: Mattardo Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by PianonaiP
Any Chopin fans?????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0t2eVyVgOc

See if you can pick out the pieces!

Ugh - it's too bad these are the Chuck Jones cartoons. That guy may have introduced some more classical music into cartoons, but he should be shot for introducing 'limited animation' and changing the Looney Tunes characters so much in the 50s and 60s.
I liked the zany Daffy, not the greedy, loser Daffy.

Chuck Jones, unfortunately, did not much care for classical music - he has said in interviews that he included much of it in his cartoons to make fun of it. The Bugs Bunny Wagner example is a good one of that! A funny cartoon, though..
Posted By: beet31425 Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 06:42 PM
Thanks Mark!

At 1:55 and 2:15 I meant "F# major" nocturne-- they're from the same nocturne. I don't think I was tricked at 2:15 by the rhythm; I just couldn't place the notes...

Posted By: Mark_C Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 07:32 PM
.....I don't think I was tricked at 2:15 by the rhythm; I just couldn't place the notes....

I think you were tricked by the rhythm. smile

Rhythm (IMO) is such an important part of the 'flavor' of something that if it's changed, one might easily not recognize it. The way they changed the rhythm on this, I think the sense of the music was very altered.

In a different way, they drastically altered the 'flavor' of the Harp etude as well. In view of that, it's amazing that you could guess it. We could say that was the case with most of the musical examples, but I think unusually so with that piece, not to mention that we can hardly hear it because of the din. smile
Posted By: beet31425 Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/16/10 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Mark_C
.....I don't think I was tricked at 2:15 by the rhythm; I just couldn't place the notes....

I think you were tricked by the rhythm. smile

Nope!

Mark, I love that you go out on a limb and offer strong theories (and then, btw, showing yourself a real scientist, revise them when the evidence presents contrarily, as in the case of the "playing from the air" discussion earlier smile ). And you're often right... but not in this case. From the cartoon, I knew the music exactly; I could continue it in my head for another 20 seconds, up the half-step modulation, climaxing at the low LH octaves. I *knew* this piece, I just couldn't place it. Probably because I had just been thinking about the F# nocturne (it being the piece previously identified), the one my father calls "the Hawaiian nocturne", so its middle section was the last place I thought to look.

I do agree with you though on the general importance of rhythm in identifying a theme.

-Jason
Posted By: Mark_C Re: Tom and Jerry - 08/17/10 03:18 AM
Thanks for the comments and observations -- and thanks for not being mad that I thought I knew better than you what had or hadn't tripped you up. smile

We shrinks do that sometimes.
And aren't necessarily convinced we were wrong. ha
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums