Your most embarrasing performance moment?

Posted by: pianoman6584

Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 10:57 PM

I had taken an intro piano course in 9th grade. I remember my first year of piano, 15 years old, I was basically seen as the prodigy of the class. Within the first couple of months, I had dragged my way through Joplin's The Entertainer pretty much note for note. My sight reading skills were non-existent, but my folder was stuffed to the brim with ragtime pieces well beyond my ability, not to mention I didn't know much theory so memorization was difficult. I just saw notes and memorized the motions.

Well eventually I had a recital at my school and with my palms sweaty and heart thumping, I greeted the audience and sat down ready to begin. Firstly, I had trouble identiying exactly where to begin haha, but some how I did. I started off steady, but then my arms began to tremble and they went out of sync. I survived for about 5 seconds until BOOM, it's as if everything went blank. Where am I, what am I doing here? What happened to all that stuff I learned? I must have attempted to start over about 3 more times until I laughed in embarrasment and walked back behind the stage.

Eventually, I gained more confidence and at the end of the year, performed the Maple Leaf Rag as the finale to the gold recital.
Posted by: Mark_C

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:05 PM

Glad you recovered from it as you did!

I had something sort of like that when I started performing after a while away from it. I had scheduled some recitals, and at the first one, as soon as I got out there I was shaking, and it wouldn't stop. I didn't really embarrass myself, except that obviously I couldn't have been playing too great ha but it was just so unpleasant..... So, while I was up there, I knew that I was going to cancel the rest of the concerts -- that was a no-brainer; the only question was if I'd come back out for the 2nd half of this one. But then, as soon as I got backstage for intermission, somehow the tension went away, maybe because I had survived ha .....I laughed it off (literally) and was fine for the rest of the concert and for the other ones.

"Most embarrassing moment" was something else, actually 4 moments of the same thing over and over again, a few years ago. I kept putting this Scarlatti sonata on my programs, even though it wasn't going well. I just couldn't believe that I couldn't really play it, even though it was clear that I couldn't really. It wasn't like having my pants down or anything like that ha but the piece stuck out like a sore thumb, and I'm sure I didn't look very smart keeping on playing it. smile
Posted by: WinsomeAllegretto

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:13 PM

Oh boy. I have too many...I guess the worst would be one time when I was asked to play for some local youth honors recital type thing (oh why did they pick me?). I was playing "The Girl With the Flaxen Hair", and I got totally lost. I stopped and asked if I could start over, right in the middle of my performance blush. Meh. However, I have performed the heck out of that piece since, and now I can sit down and play it for you at the drop of a hat. But seriously, I can't count the times that happened to me in my early years of piano performing.
Posted by: jeffreyjones

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:29 PM

I was in the middle of accompanying a violin sonata, and suddenly I had to sneeze. So what could I do? I turned to the page turner and did what I had to, without missing a beat. They both gave me the most shocked look for a second, then went on with the job at hand.
Posted by: Canonie

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:31 PM

You sneezed on your page turner??!

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffreyjones
I was in the middle of accompanying a violin sonata, and suddenly I had to sneeze.....

Very unusual. smile
Why does that never happen?
I have a theory. ha

I'm guessing it's because of the adrenalin pouring through our systems. Adrenalin (same as epinephrine) is just about the strongest antihistamine there is -- and antihistamines prevent that kind of thing (coughing too).

I'd have to guess that you weren't very nervous or hyped up for that concert. smile
Posted by: gooddog

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:41 PM

Well...not a performance and not involving me... but my good friend's mother went up to the rail to take Communion when suddenly the elastic on her panties broke. They sank to her ankles - in front of the entire congregation. She calmly stepped out of them, stuffed them into her handbag and went back to her seat.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: gooddog
....my good friend's mother went up to the rail to take Communion when suddenly the elastic on her panties broke. They sank to her ankles - in front of the entire congregation. She calmly stepped out of them, stuffed them into her handbag and went back to her seat.

(sorry) ha

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:57 PM

I was in the middle of accompanying a violin sonata, and suddenly I had to sneeze. So what could I do? I turned to the page turner and did what I had to, without missing a beat. They both gave me the most shocked look for a second, then went on with the job at hand.

ROFL. I love it, especially "without missing a beat." Haha,

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/19/10 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: pianoman6584
....ROFL. I love it, especially "without missing a beat." Haha,

He didn't miss a beat because he wasn't hyped up or nervous. ha
Posted by: MikeN

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 12:19 AM

I remember the second time I performed. I had decided to play Un Sospiro and Chopin Etude Op.10 No.1. Well the Liszt was ok, like anything of my first year it was sloppy, but by the third chord of the etude I had a memory lapse so I faked 99% of the piece and somehow I was able to find the Cmajor chord to end it on. I have no idea why I decided to program such a piece
Posted by: LimeFriday

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 12:26 AM

My most embarrassing moment was during an organ competition. I played my piece which was roughly 8 mins long - and as always - about halfway through the piece my right leg began to shake from nerves. For some reason that's always the way my nerves showed themselves in performance wink I got through the piece - even though I was sure my shaking leg was resulting in horrible mess ups in the pedal sections.

I bowed to the audience and went to walk off stage and down the stairs - and my legs gave way and I fell down the stairs and landed on my backside right in front of the judges.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 12:34 AM

Originally Posted By: LimeFriday
.....my legs gave way and I fell down the stairs and landed on my backside right in front of the judges.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 12:35 AM

(Just kidding. The thread is great.) smile

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 01:35 AM

I'm just thankful my sister had stopped videotaping it just after I bowed - otherwise I'm sure that by now she would have sent the clip to Australia's Funniest home videos wink

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 02:07 AM

I'm just thankful my sister had stopped videotaping it just after I bowed - otherwise I'm sure that by now she would have sent the clip to Australia's Funniest home videos wink

.....and we're all thankful that (presumably) you didn't get hurt....

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 04:22 AM

I bowed to the audience and went to walk off stage and down the stairs - and my legs gave way and I fell down the stairs and landed on my backside right in front of the judges.

My jaw dropped to the floor, wow! You win LimeF, nothing could top that for embarrassment and sheer drama.

Very sorry you couldn't post a link to video of it though...hehe

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 05:25 AM

I've never been known for my class and elegance - lol
Posted by: DianneB

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 06:01 AM

I was a page turner for my college piano professor who was doing a fab two piano duet with another prof. He had a terrible habit of bobbing his head throughout the performance. This time I mistook his head bob for an indication to turn the page...I was wrong, and he struggled through several measures before recovering his pace. I'll never forget the silence and the glaring look he gave me.

He never asked me to turn pages again, thankfully.
Posted by: pianoloverus

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 07:31 AM

I was playing a digital for some fast Sondheim song(can't remember the name ...it was almost like a patter song) a group of faculty was going to perform. I didn't realize that when the piano had been moved towards the center of the stage the plug had been pulled out. So I started the intro and nothing came out...everyone had a good laugh.
Posted by: Emphursis1

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 10:14 AM

I've never performed in public, so no big embarrassing stories from me.
But last night I saw some friends I haven't seen for quite a while (since before I started learning actually), so I sat down, started to play and halfway through completely forgot what I was meant to be playing. I hadn't got the music out, because I thought I had it memorised perfectly. I had to stop and start again, it was horrible.
And then on the second attempt I hit a wrong note or two, played some bits too slowly and other two fast and there was one mortifying moment when I used way too much force with the little finger of my left hand when it was meant to be pp.
When they were out of the room, I tried again, just to prove to myself I could do it, and surprise surprise, I could!
Posted by: Victor25

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 10:40 AM

Sometimes I play for my friends and family, and even when its just horrible, I just continue. They think 99% of the time its part of the piece haha, so I wouldn't worry about it Emphursis1
Posted by: musiccr8r

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 10:47 AM

I'll throw one in to keep this thread humming along, since I LOVE these sorts of stories, although I have to admit Mark C., the minute I read your words about "playing for recitals after some time away", my stomach clenched up as my mind contemplated recitals I'll be facing this fall (as an accompanist; would NEVER take to the stage by myself). And I'm even looking forward to them! frown Performance nerves suck.

So this was not embarrassing in terms of audience as much as messing up, just when I thought I was doing well...playing approx. an hour special performance with the church choir. A few of the things were a bit of a challenge for me and I was pleased things were going well. Midway there was communion or some other contemplative event and the director played an organ piece, which was supposed to just wind down and "end" (not a real ending or cadence) on a certain chord which was the same chord as the choir song to follow, so when he paused there I was supposed to jump in and start the intro for that as he got up and stepped up to direct. I got lost in the peaceful organ music and enjoying my break, and had no direct line of sight with him since I'm very short...it suddenly hit me, "Gee, it seems like it's been the same notes for awhile now..." and I pop my head up over my music stand to see him giving me a very wide-eyed, "Will you PLEASE start!!!" eyeball. I felt bad at the time but the memory of it kinda makes me giggle.
Posted by: Pianoislove

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 11:33 AM

I was playing Chopin's Waltz in F Minor (op. 70 no. 2) for my teacher's end of the year recital in 11th grade. She had very informal recitals at her house, with no specific order to the program; you had to volunteer by raising your hand. Feeling brave, I raised my hand early on, and got up to play my piece feeling confident. Well, I don't know what happened, but when I reached the first cadence, right before the main theme returns, I went blank. I forgot where I was in the music, the keys all looked foreign. Completely blank. After a few seconds of awkward silence, I somehow found my way back, and played fine until the next cadence. Again, blank. Same thing - awkward silence and a mumbled "sorry" to the audience and then found my way back. By this time I had completely lost composure and was on the verge of tears, and as I played on I kept anticipating and dreading the next cadence, which of course set myself up for failure. Third time - same spot, same thing. I turned to my teacher and said, I'm sorry, I have no idea where I am. She handed me the music in the middle of my performance. I was so mortified. I don't even remember if I made it to the end of the piece, but I do remember crying in my seat through the rest of the recital.

In retrospect, it probably wasn't *that* horrible of an ordeal, but I was an overly sensitive teenager! To this day, 6 years later, I can't even laugh about it.

And a sidenote to Mark_C - VERY interesting about adrenaline and antihistamine! I competed in a concerto competition in college with the first movement of the Grieg, after being hit by the worst head cold the day before. In the hallway waiting to go in, I was sneezing, hacking up a lung, dripping like a faucet etc., wondering how I would ever make it through on stage. As I started to play my symptoms completely went away. I thought it was a miracle, but I guess your theory is a more logical explanation! haha. (And I won the competition smile )
Posted by: lilylady

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 01:30 PM

WOW P/islove

Glad you recouped to then go on to win a competition.

Many of us go completely blank.

I can easlily do that in a lesson! It is the oddest thing to have happen. Like you stare at the music and do not comprehend, fingers not responding even from muscle memory.

It happened yesterday. Not good when the lesson is on interpretation, looseness, and technique, and ones fingers become frozen/glued to the keyboard - exactly what i am 'not' suppose to be doing. I became like a frozen icicle. ;-(

I guess what I am saying is that it does not need to be a recital, exhibition, or competition. When 'the nerves' kick in, they spoil everything.

I used to be able to memorize by chord structure and studying the piece. That now seems to be gone as I have aged, so I need to rely on reading the music more. When I freeze such as you did, the music is like a foreign language.

Must get a bunch of bananas!
Posted by: Piano*Dad

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 02:27 PM

Me: Well, I was playing in a master class led by David Bar Ilan. I was fifteen and mighty shy. The piece was the ubiquitous prelude in C-sharp minor by guess who. Well, I'm announced and I walk out on stage. Bar Ilan looks at the program and says to the audience something like, "well, we've never heard this before, have we ...." to much laughter. I was mortified. Added to my natural performance anxiety, I proceeded to live down to his expectations. I don't think I ever forgave him, and I never again participated in a master class.
Posted by: MikeN

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 02:37 PM

I would have probably gone red with anger if he did that before I played the piece.
Posted by: elecmuse3

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 02:40 PM

rude comments like Bar Ilan's can sometimes do huge amounts of damage. He could at least have modified it, with some kind of "let's see how it is THIS time" or "it gets played lots because of . . . ".

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 02:42 PM

The ability to fire back successfully at someone like that who shows you casual disrespect is a function of your age, wisdom, maturity, and training. I was a bit short on all of these. So I just came a bit unglued instead. smile

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad
Me: Well, I was playing in a master class led by David Bar Ilan. I was fifteen and mighty shy. The piece was the ubiquitous prelude in C-sharp minor by guess who. Well, I'm announced and I walk out on stage. Bar Ilan looks at the program and says to the audience something like, "well, we've never heard this before, have we ...." to much laughter. I was mortified. Added to my natural performance anxiety, I proceeded to live down to his expectations. I don't think I ever forgave him, and I never again participated in a master class.

I have good news for you. smile
I heard him play, once. I thought he wasn't that good. ha
In fact, there were truly things about him that I disliked -- not so much his playing, but him.

About not 'firing back' at him: you can't really fire back in such a situation. There's a much greater downside than upside.

P.S. Don't give up on still getting past that some day, maybe soon.
Maybe being on here like this can help you get there. smile
Posted by: JGonzalezGUS

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 03:04 PM

My most embarrasing moment: when I was in school I used to accompany a lot, singers, mostly - part of the curriculum. During a rehearsal, a singer told me that she may not sing a particular passage (about half a page) if she didn't feel she was up to it and to just go ahead then and skip it. I told her, oh, no, it is SO beautiful and you sing it so well. She insisted. Well, during the performance, when I saw that she wasn't singing it, instead of skipping to the agreed to place, I played her singing line, except that I played many wrong notes making it obvious that she had stopped singing! It was horrible. I don't think she spoke to me again.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 03:24 PM

Quote:
About not 'firing back' at him: you can't really fire back in such a situation. There's a much greater downside than upside.

Yeah, calling him a schmuck at that moment might not have been the wisest choice. grin

But sticking a professional quality rendition and asking him (politely but insincerely) to demonstrate how he would improve it were also not in the cards either.

Oh, I did overcome it. I have played since then, though not in master class situations, and I have even allowed my son to endure the tender mercies of the master class. But that experience did leave an indelible impression on me.
Posted by: Samuel1993

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 03:27 PM

At one of my recitals a few years back I played the Gliere Prelude in Db, I started off well. Typically you will tremble at first but then recover, for some reason my hands began trembling half-way through the piece. Nothing to bad, managed to keep the notes together, the musicality on the other hand, was a different story.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 03:47 PM

As some of you may know, I am the worst at memorizing pieces. After I started playing again (about a year ago), I was just learning some Beethoven sonata's, and could play them reasonably well (for untrained ears, it was great, for people who know it very well, it was below average). I was out with some colleague's and there was a piano there. Immediately one of my colleague's was eager to show what he could do. It was the most basic pop music one could thinks of, just ramming the left hand some 3-note chords, right hand 1 note melodies, and sometimes for show, do a 3-chord arpeggio up and down (really slow too).

So they were talking about how great he was etc, and asked if anybody else could play. So of course i said I have played the piano for a long time, and they wanted to hear. Normally I can at least play the first page of the 2nd mov. from opus 90 Beethoven, but after trying it 2 times (and failing) I gave that up. Next was another piece, which I couldn't remember either. And so the only thing I could play, was my child-hood memorized Mozart Alla Turca, and believe me, it went BAD. I felt really embarrassed. It wasn't too bad because none of them actually knew any of the pieces I attempted, but still....

I have to say I still carry that one around with me, as I eagerly try to memorize full sonata's frown.
Posted by: gooddog

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 05:14 PM

Here's one I keep trying to forget. When I was in high school, the music teacher asked me to play Clair de Lune with the school orchestra. It was my very first time playing in public. (My private teacher did not have recitals.) I worked hard and learned it. There were several places where we were playing 3 against 4 and I was concerned but for some unknown reason he felt a rehearsal was not necessary.

I arrived for the performance and there was the conductor and orchestra up on the stage. My piano was on the floor of the auditorium... 4 feet below the stage. I could not see the conductor and I could not hear the orchestra. I somehow muscled my way through it. I knew it was awful so when it was done, I ran away in horror and cried. He never said a word to me.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 05:59 PM

OK, I have told my story, so I'll tell son's story.

He was twelve and he was competing at a very rich regional audition. He had a kick-butt version of Prokofiev's Montagues & Capulets as his second piece. He was playing the rondo movement of Haydn's piano concerto as his first piece. That was the 'easy' lead in to the Prok. So, he starts and I can hear that there is just something not quite right. It's just not as clean and flowing as usual. Then in the middle he just blanks and stops for a second. He goes back a couple of measures and comes around a second time .... blanks. He goes around a third time .... stumble, fumble, force ahead two measures and finally finishes. He then gets into the Prokofiev and is doing fine. But one minute in, the judge says, "thank you, time's up." This was one unhappy kid outside the hall.

It gets worse. He had to give two performances of the Haydn eight days later, with a local orchestra.

Actually, that's a life lesson best learned early. Fall off the horse, get right back on. He buckled down and worked like a madman to rework the whole piece in a week so that it was really and truly memorized, section by section, phrase by phrase.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: gooddog
I ran away in horror and cried. He never said a word to me.

I'm trying to decide if that was a sensitive thing for him to do, or a truly sh!tty thing to do. Not rubbing salt in an open wound, versus ignoring you while you are in real pain.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Piano*Dad

Actually, that's a life lesson best learned early. Fall off the horse, get right back on. He buckled down and worked like a madman to rework the whole piece in a week so that it was really and truly memorized, section by section, phrase by phrase.

Yep, you're never invulnerable against a conflict that you've never faced before, in my experience. Direct confrontation is the best approach. You can never fail if you at least learn from your mistake.

I remember during my recital, I was thinking more "WHAT ARE THEY THINKING WHILE I'M PLAYING? I WONDER IF I CAN READ THEIR MINDS? CAN THEY READ MINE?" than I was thinking about playing the piece ROFL. That's when I learned two things: Understand the music you play and make an emotional connection with the music- enjoy it.
Posted by: stores

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 06:33 PM

It wasn't during a "performance" per se, but, when I was 13 I had my very first job and it was as church organist for a cathedral (I took over for my teacher at the time who was retiring). At some point in my first year there I remember setting my music up on the stand for a postlude which would come after prayer and in doing so my left foot slipped off the bench bar and landed on one of the pedals letting out one big sonic boom during prayer LOL!!! Needless to say I kept my perch in the organ loft until I was POSITIVE that everyone had left the church after services hahaha!
Posted by: Emanuel Ravelli

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/20/10 11:04 PM

I have two worst moments to share. One of these was mentioned in a post several years ago; if it starts to sound familiar, skip down.

I went to Duke, which has a world-renowned "rice diet" program for major weight loss. An opera singer who was built for the part came there and was looking for an accompanist to work with her for the several months she expected to stay. I volunteered. Twice a week for several months, we met at the house where she was staying to rehearse arias from Wagner, Verdi, Puccini and other masters. It was a captivating experience for me. Her sense of pitch was dead perfect, and she produced a powerful, golden sound that was made to fill large spaces. But her accompaniments were complicated, they were taking too much time away from my own practice, and I couldn't stop listening to her gorgeous voice well enough to concentrate on the score. I told her I wasn't being fair to her. She agreed and fired me on the spot.

It was only years later that I connected her name and face. I had been dismissed by Jessye Norman. Ah well -- more time for Hanon.

My other has a lot to do with why I don't have too many "worst moment" stories to tell. I loved studying with my college piano teacher. He was a great teacher of technique and a wonderful music coach. Some years after I graduated, I returned to campus to hear him play a recital -- something he did very infrequently, I think due to performance anxiety. He breezed through some Scarlatti and Chopin, then dug into the Liszt B minor sonata. About two-thirds through the piece, there was a sudden silence. He'd lost his way and couldn't find it in his head. After a couple of unsuccessful restarts, he stood up and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm unable to continue this performance. Let's start intermission a little early and I'll try to make it up to you in the second half."

He came back after halftime and played the living hell out of "Pictures at an Exhibition," and played some tricky Ravel and Rachmaninoff as encores. It ended on a triumphant note, but the embarrassment and the terror that it might happen again in the second half must have been awful for him. (I saw him afterward, but was not about to bring it up unless he did, which he didn't.) That night, I decided I would never again perform in public from memory. I've followed that rule in the nearly 40 years since and never regretted it.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 01:24 AM

Wow those are some interesting stories. I didn't know who Jessye Norman was, but I googled her and evidently she's big in opera. I couldn't help but giggle at her decisiveness when firing you. It's all good though buddy.

That Sonata in B minor is pretty long, I can understand how he may have forgotten some of it. Wow though, how could you never perform from memory? Unless you have very good sight-reading skills, that must be a difficult task.. I think that inevitably if you practice something enough, you'll end up memorizing it. That happened when I was trying to sightread Bach, but decided not to look at the score. I guess it's always good to have the score for confirmation.. as long as it doesn't hold you back.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 03:31 AM

This is one of our most interesting threads.
We even got some autobiographical info out of Stores! ha
Posted by: gsmonks

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 04:50 AM

I was accompanying a friend one time, a long time ago. Just before we walked out on stage, she hissed, "Hurry up! Go change your shoes!" It was a formal affair, and in my rush I had forgotten I was wearing a ratty old pair of runners and old sweat socks that were full of holes.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 05:01 AM

So many drama from not having the sheet frown Thats one thing they sure did better in Vivaldi - Mendelssohn's time.
Posted by: hopinmad

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 05:54 AM

I've often had to sneeze during practise, but fortunately never in a performance! I wonder what I'd have to do . . .

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Victor25
So many drama from not having the sheet frown Thats one thing they sure did better in Vivaldi - Mendelssohn's time.

Are you saying that pianists in the "old days" memorized better? Actually, I read that Clara Schumann was the first one to perform without the score. Although, keyboardists had memorized their music before (as people are saying, it is hard not to), they still performed with the score.
Posted by: keystring

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 10:36 AM

Quote:
After a couple of unsuccessful restarts, he stood up and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm unable to continue this performance. Let's start intermission a little early and I'll try to make it up to you in the second half."

I'm impressed with how he handled it.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: WinsomeAllegretto

Are you saying that pianists in the "old days" memorized better? Actually, I read that Clara Schumann was the first one to perform without the score. Although, keyboardists had memorized their music before (as people are saying, it is hard not to), they still performed with the score.

I'm saying that in the "old days" people always performed with score. Mendelssohn was known to be able to play everything from memory, however he always played with score, as he deemed it arrogant to play without it. What a wise man laugh. So kind to those who can play, but have trouble memorizing.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 11:37 AM

Right! Pianists and singers are the only ones who perform without the score regularly. It's not fair because the other instrumentalists get to use the music...I'm not sure why it became standard. But I feel like when I memorize a piece I know it better, and I can concentrate on musical aspects instead of being worried about the notes.
Posted by: JGonzalezGUS

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 12:30 PM

My feeling is that everyone can do what they want or feel more comfortable with; as for me, a piece gets memorized WAY BEFORE I'm able to play it decently. I guess it 'gets into' my brain before it gets into my fingers....
Posted by: MarcoM

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 12:43 PM

in the "old days" people always performed with score.

in the "old days" people also had to improvise a lot, I think it's easier to play without a score than to get the King in the audience give you a theme and improvise on the spot a 4 voice fugue on it knowing that if you mess it up you're likely going to be fired wink

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 12:47 PM

I really have no idea what one has to do with the other.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: pianoman6584
[h]ow could you never perform from memory? Unless you have very good sight-reading skills, that must be a difficult task.. I think that inevitably if you practice something enough, you'll end up memorizing it. That happened when I was trying to sightread Bach, but decided not to look at the score. I guess it's always good to have the score for confirmation.. as long as it doesn't hold you back.

I was actually able to memorize -- and perform reliably from memory -- through my younger years. At the time I decided to start using scores in performance, my memorization skills were still good. I just decided I wasn't going to subject myself or my audience to the crash-and-burn risk my teacher had experienced. To this day, I don't feel like a piece is ready to performa until I've gpttogo it mostly memoriaed.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 01:11 PM

[Sorry about the two-part post; the keyboard on my other computer started acting up. Starting over with the last sentence:]

To this day, I don't feel like a piece is ready to perform until I have it mostly memorized. In fact, some parts of pieces are so physically demanding and require such constant contact between your eyes and the keyboard that you couldn't possibly play them at speed unless you had them memorized. It's not a matter of "sight-reading" when you perform; it's more a matter of using the score as a friendly, familiar aide memoire to keep your mind in the music.

Other posts in this thread and on the topic of memorization over the years have suggested that you aren't being true to the music unless you've memorized it. I see it in just the opposite way -- that playing with a score liberates you from neurotic fear of memory failure and allows you to concentrate all your senses and energies on making the music sing. It's worked that way for me for a long time.
Posted by: Cinnamonbear

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

For this reason, alone, MarkC, ^ it's worth the price of admission! --(pun intended!)-- [joking, stores!... joking!!!]

I have two:

My 2nd or 3rd recital, I think I was 8 or 9 years old, and playing Kabalevsky's Prelude and Fugue Op.61, No.1. It was an absolute favorite of mine that my dad would play, at my request, while I sat next to him on the piano bench when I was really little. At the time of this recital, my folks had pretty recently split. They were both in the audience. I had the dreaded memory lapse right where a page turn would be. It took several moments of awkward fumbling before finding the line again. I'm pretty sure that's when performance anxiety started for me. As soon as the recital was over, and everyone was out of the hall, my mom had me sit at the piano, and play it through. "You know this!" she scolded. I think she was more embarassed than I was, plus whatever memories were wrapped up in the piece... Ah, music--that can touch the soul in so many ways!

In college, I was *not* a music major. There was a guy on my dorm floor who was studying percussion. He mentioned off-hand that he needed an accompanist for a marimba piece. I said, "I'll do it!" It was a really active, dissonant modern thing, but after a lot of practice and a conducted session with his instructor, it went pretty well and looked like we could pull it off. I did not have the piece memorized, however, and during the recital, when I flipped the page at the page turn, damned if the page didn't just sit totally perpendicular off the music rack. Just sat there in the center of my nose--right between the eyes! I was doing my best to keep going without knowing the piece without reading it, and to find a place where I could smooth that sucker flat--swatting at it several times before it would lay down! The looks of shock on the faces of the other students in the audience, and the sheer disappointment of my friend the marimba player will stick with me forever. We did one other piece together, and I used a page-turner. We ended up doing that piece twice--the second time for an invited engagement. So, the story does have a happy ending! smile

--Andy
Posted by: Palindrome

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Pianoislove
...I was sneezing, hacking up a lung, dripping like a faucet etc., wondering how I would ever make it through on stage. As I started to play my symptoms completely went away. I thought it was a miracle, but I guess your theory is a more logical explanation! haha. (And I won the competition smile )

Sounds like you just blew them all away!

I posted this in 2002, about an event from 1964:

Originally Posted By: myself
Chabrier arranged some themes from Wagner operas in the form of Quadrilles (dances) for piano, four hands. Mark Devoto, then a professor Reed College, arranged them for orchestra, which the college orchestra programmed. I was playing the anvil (i.e., a steel rail the machine shop used for an anvil), hitting it with a ball peen hammer. (I don't believe it makes a difference if you hit with the round or with the flat side). We didn't have a stand for the rail, so we just put it on the floor, and I knelt behind it.

In the rehearsals, the bass drummer wasn't paying attention very much, so when I noticed he wasn't playing his part I'd reach up with my left hand and thump on the drum, occasionally hitting the anvil with the hammer in my right. The orchestral pianist thought this was so amusing, that the night of the performance, he brought three of his friends up into the orchestra with him to watch this.

In the actual performance, I became very nervous. The bass drummer, however, who was a pretty good musician*, did pay attention and get his part right. I, on the other hand, lost my way in the score. Half a measure before the BIG anvil crash, I suddenly realized where I was. Ohmygod! I picked up the hammer and brought it down as fast as I could. Unfortunately, I missed the anvil, producing only a dull "thwok" as I hit the concrete floor. This was not without its effect, however. The orchestral pianist's friends, who had been watching, gave out a muffled shriek! The conductor started looking around in confusion, barely keeping the orchestra together as he tried to find the source of the strange noises emanating from stage right.

On my way out, a friend who had been sitting in the audience asked me, "Orr, whatever were you doing up there on your knees?" I had no reasonable answer.

*One Robert Chesley, who later achieved some minor fame as a playwright with the first play about AIDS, "Night Sweat."
Posted by: MarcoM

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 06:24 PM

you were saying

and I was saying that I am not sure I agree too much with 'better', yeah, they had the sheet music but they were also expected to be able to improvise on the spot, something that nowadays is not done anymore (at least in classical) and which is IMHO a lot more difficult to do well than to memorize a piece.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 07:45 PM

We got a pretty good stand-up act going here..... ha

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
Originally Posted By: Mark_C
For this reason, alone...it's worth the price of admission! --(pun intended!)....

.....not to mention.....

Originally Posted By: Palindrome
Originally Posted By: Pianoislove
...I was sneezing, hacking up a lung, dripping like a faucet....

Sounds like you just blew them all away!

....and really most of the 'serious' stuff here is pretty funny too..... ha although at the time, none of it was on purpose. whome
Posted by: NWL

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 10:54 PM

Mine is also in church:

I was playing organ as a sub for a catholic church. The organ in their chapel had broken, and they had rigged up a digital piano behind the console as a sneaky quick-fix. So I dutifully pressed the "Pipe Organ 1" button and rehearsed with the cantor, and left the chapel for a few minutes before the service began.

Well, SOMETHING must have gotten pressed on the digital piano's control panel, because it was not as I left it--I didn't realize this until too late, when I tried to give the musical prelude to the Processional Hymn to start the service, and the DP gave no chords, no Pipe Organ 1, just a preset salsa beat at top volume! In my panic I could not even find the right buttons to press, and could do no better than pull the plug, restart the keyboard, press "Pipe Organ 1" yet again and reissue the Processional Hymn--at which point the procession unfroze and started walking again, cautiously this time, towards the altar.

I wasn't invited back, but I did dine out on this story a few times...
Posted by: Bob

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/21/10 11:50 PM

30 years ago in my teenage years, I played keyboards in bands, mostly rock and country music. We were playing the UFO song "Love to Love", which begins with keyboards and builds one instrument at a time till the lead guitar hits a screaming note. The intro is building and the screaming guitar decided to come in 3 measures early, and off beat. Instead of carrying on, the inexperienced band crumbled to a halt. With nothing left to do, and facing a silent audience, I started the intro again. This time we got though it! I still have a recording of it somewhere. How I miss those days!

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 12:44 AM

Semi-serious thought: a BOOK could be done with stories like these.

If someone feels like it. smile

The stories here are (IMO) wonderfully interesting, and wonderfully frank.

And often pretty funny, whether we like it or not. smile
Posted by: SpecialKeysCereal

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 12:47 AM

A few years ago at a school talent show dress rehearsal, I forgot to bring my sheet music for a duet- I left it at home. I had everything memorized though, so I thought it'd be ok. In the middle of the performance, I completely blanked out and repeated a bar several times... I went out of sync with my duet partner and she had to make something up...
Good thing that was just the dress rehearsal! I guess it wasn't that embarrassing, but it's something I won't forget. I bet my friend will make sure of it... after the performance she made sure I knew it was all my fault laugh
Posted by: Palindrome

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 01:00 AM

Zara Nelsova, the late cellist, told a story about a dress she had that buttoned up the front. During a concert, it started to unbutton. She kept trying to hide behind her instrument as the disintegration slowly progressed, to little avail. Finally, when she reached the last chord, it came completely undone. I believe she never wore the dress again during playing.

someone with more energy than I have (it's midnight) may find this story on line.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 01:11 AM

....Finally, when she reached the last chord, it came completely undone....

Once again................. ha

P.S. The bottom portion of this page briefly refers to a slightly different version of the story.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 01:12 AM

I attended a performance by my city's symphony orchestra. The players were all in black; smart, elegant and monochromatic. As they were seated, a certain violinist's trousers slipped down a little due to the change in posture. Not usually a problem, except in this case a slim strip of flesh became uncovered. That wouldn't have beeen a problem either except that the hot pink strap of her g-string (not on her violin) was exposed. It was easily visible half way back in the auditorium. And it's funny how one tiny flash of the wrong colour catches the eye. You couldnt not look at it all the way until interval.

Always road-test your underwear.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 01:13 AM

Mark! - you'll get a reputation haha!

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Canonie
....a certain violinist's trousers slipped down a little due to the change in posture. Not usually a problem, except in this case a slim strip of flesh became uncovered. That wouldn't have been a problem either except that the hot pink strap of her g-string (not on her violin) was exposed. It was easily visible half way back in the auditorium.....

One more time..........

BTW.......Our proposed "book" would be copiously illustrated. ha ha

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: MarcoM

you were saying

and I was saying that I am not sure I agree too much with 'better', yeah, they had the sheet music but they were also expected to be able to improvise on the spot, something that nowadays is not done anymore (at least in classical) and which is IMHO a lot more difficult to do well than to memorize a piece.

But as you have read it twice now, you must have noticed I said its 'ONE' thing they sure did better. They also did very weird surgery in that time, I'm not saying the whole time was better. Just that they did that ONE thing better.
Posted by: NeedleMan

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 09:34 AM

3 years ago, I performed in front my teachers and many stundents (each students had to do their own performance). I walked on the stage (that was my first time on the stage). I started well, but the I forgot what notes to play. I stood on the stage without playing for a while. Finally, my teacher told me to return to my seat, read the sheet again and calm myself down. I did it, the other stundent took my turn. Later, I came back on the stage again and performed pretty well smile. But it was still embarassing. I later quit playing for more than 1 year. I shouldn't have quit that year...
Posted by: Pogorelich.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 12:53 PM

I think it has to be the time where I played the Franck violin sonata, and after missing the last high note of the last run in the 4th mvt, I swore loudly. Ever since then I've written "don't swear" at the top of the page! Thank god it was only for class.

Also when I swore loudly right after going off stage, and unfortunately I had to go and bow again, and later I found out that a lot of people had heard me go "OH F---!!!!" off stage hahaha..

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Canonie
I attended a performance by my city's symphony orchestra. The players were all in black; smart, elegant and monochromatic. As they were seated, a certain violinist's trousers slipped down a little due to the change in posture. Not usually a problem, except in this case a slim strip of flesh became uncovered. That wouldn't have beeen a problem either except that the hot pink strap of her g-string (not on her violin) was exposed. It was easily visible half way back in the auditorium. And it's funny how one tiny flash of the wrong colour catches the eye. You couldnt not look at it all the way until interval.

Always road-test your underwear.

You mean you really think this little slip was an accident? grin
Posted by: Emphursis1

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
I think it has to be the time where I played the Franck violin sonata, and after missing the last high note of the last run in the 4th mvt, I swore loudly. Ever since then I've written "don't swear" at the top of the page! Thank god it was only for class.

Also when I swore loudly right after going off stage, and unfortunately I had to go and bow again, and later I found out that a lot of people had heard me go "OH F---!!!!" off stage hahaha..

I think you have just won the thread! I couldn't stop laughing after reading that (sorry :D)
Posted by: dolce sfogato

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 03:29 PM

hearing two ladies in the front row saying: what tram do you take home tonight?

starting the wrong program, though they liked it...

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Emphursis1
I think it has to be the time where I played the Franck violin sonata, and after missing the last high note of the last run in the 4th mvt, I swore loudly....

I think you have just won the thread!....

....especially if we picture the person who said it. whome

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 06:58 PM

I was 14 and had been learning cello for less than 2 years; I wasn't very good. I joined my teacher's string ensemble and was allocated (with 2 others) the bottom/easy part. But in one piece even that was considered beyond us, in which case we just sat.

A filmcrew for a TV travel show decided to film a performance in the entrance hall of a bank. The filming took about an hour although only 15 seconds of footage was used in the final show. Although we three of little proficiency played in all pieces except one, that was the piece that was eventually seen on national television. But the filmcrew didn't like the look of us sitting still and had asked us to pretend to be playing, which we quite enjoyed doing, sometimes playing our cellos left-handed and giggling silently.

Six months later the show went to air. When friends and relatives phoned to congratulate me on my TV appearance I had to explain, many times, that I was only miming. "But why?". "well you see um... I wasn't very good so our teacher told me not to play".
That was the only "cool" piece that our ensemble played.

Sooooo embarrassing

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 07:30 PM

Lol, I'm really starting to like this thread more and more. It makes you realize that life could get worse.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 07:37 PM

Great thread pianoman smile there are so Many ways to be embarrassed.

Pogorelich - LOL!
Piano*Dad - Hmmm I have to give her benefit of the doubt, I mean it's very wrong to stand out that much in an orchestra - isn't it? wink
Posted by: musiccr8r

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 07:53 PM

oooh, I just remembered another one, though I think I did post it on some other thread long ago.....

In high school I sometimes played for our choir, as did another gal. We both were trained to read music only and had zero improv. skills. One day in jazz choir the teacher invited the combo guitar player, a fantastic player who read very little music, to "jam" the blues with us two pianists for a few minutes. He dived right in and we sat at the bench kinda staring at each other. Finally at one point I launched into a few notes of "Mary had a little lamb" just to be doing something. The scathing look of disdain I got from the drummer makes me shudder to this day....
Posted by: Mostly

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 09:00 PM

Not long ago, I was playing in my school in front of an audience of students and parents (and other people).
As I went to sit at the piano, I violently hit my right foot on the grand's foot. It hurt like hell, and I could feel my face contorted with pain as I managed to sit.
When I finished playing and stood up, my foot was still in pain, I could hardly bow and walk away.

So embarassing...
Posted by: ChopinAddict

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/22/10 09:07 PM

This thread is really cool... It should be made sticky! smile
Posted by: moscheles001

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/23/10 11:38 AM

Zara Nelsova, the late cellist, told a story about a dress she had that buttoned up the front. During a concert, it started to unbutton. She kept trying to hide behind her instrument as the disintegration slowly progressed, to little avail. Finally, when she reached the last chord, it came completely undone.

And just by chance, a young Charlotte Moorman was in the audience that night . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Moorman

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/23/10 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: moscheles001
.....And just by chance, a young Charlotte Moorman was in the audience that night . . . .

Ha! I couldn't help having her flash through my mind too.
So to speak. smile
Posted by: musica71

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/23/10 03:48 PM

In the late 60's I was paid ( not much) to dedicate a new piano at my church. I borrowed a dress from a neighbor that I had admired. It was a lightweight red wool with tiny shoulder straps so I wore a Merry Widow Strapless top foundation). As I was playing a Rachmaninoff Prelude the dress started to slip off of my shoulder and down my arm so my bra was somewhat exposed. What were my choices?? to keep going and be bare down much further than I wanted...or just keep going and hope for the best. I kept going.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/23/10 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: musica71
.....so I wore a Merry Widow Strapless top foundation). As I was playing a Rachmaninoff Prelude the dress started to slip off of my shoulder and down my arm so my bra was somewhat exposed....

Once again................. ha ha

Quote:
What were my choices?? to keep going and be bare down much further than I wanted...or just keep going and hope for the best. I kept going.

In church? ha

(Good job.) smile
Posted by: jazzyprof

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/23/10 05:20 PM

A few years ago my department organized a "talent" show of sorts. I decide to enter and on the night of the event invited this beautiful pianist I was courting to come along. When it was my turn to perform my hands began to tremble even as the announcer was introducing me. When I sat down to perform the Allemande from Bach's French Suite #4 my mind went completely blank and I couldn't remember how the piece began. As I sat there with my trembling hands hovering over the keys the silence seemed interminable. Finally I decided to play some random notes in the hope that some sound would trigger a memory. After what seemed like an eternity, my fingers suddenly remembered the opening and I played through the first half of the piece somewhat shakily. When I got to the second part my mind went blank again and my fingers didn't know where to go. So I go back to the beginning, do it all over, and guess what...I blank out again at the exact same spot in the second part! At that point I gave up, got up, bowed, and slunk back to my seat. For months afterward I couldn't look my date in the eye! I would like to think that my epic failure that night has nothing to do with why we're not together. smile

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/24/10 12:50 AM

Haha, wow. Sorry for your bad luck. Well at least we learn from these things. Keep your cool around the ladies smile

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/24/10 04:56 AM

I've got another embarrassing moment to confess. In one of my very first 'big' competitions I was confronted for the first time with having to fill out one of the bio/information sheets that the MC reads to the audience while you come out on stage and settle yourself.

I was a youngish teenager - pretty naive in the world of competition etiquette - and so I filled this thing out and submitted it not letting anyone read my answers.

Amongst the questions were "Who is your favourite composer?" "Who is your favourite musician?", "Who is your favourite arranger", "Who is your musical role model?"

To the first question - I answered Bach - and my teacher Peter B. (who had composed the piece I was about to play).

Now I had some serious hero worship of my teacher going on at the time - so of course to the next question - who is your favourite musician - I answered - Peter B.... To who is your favourite arranger - I answered - Peter B... and you can guess what I'd written for who my musical role model was wink

My answers had sounded fine written down - I had no idea that all this would be read out as I was on stage preparing to play. Of course the MC (who knew my teacher) thought this was all rather funny - as did the large audience - who by the time I was ready to play were all laughing loudly at my answers.

I was so embarrassed and was as red as a tomato and just wanted the stage to open up and swallow me. But I eventually won the competition - and had given the audience a laugh in the bargain - so all's well that ended well smile But it was one of those cringe-worthy adolescent moments that I would rather forget.
Posted by: Pogorelich.

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/24/10 09:50 AM

jazzyprof: that was hilarious.. I mean, must've been painful at one time! She was a pianist too? Hmm maybe you should've asked HER to perform something for you then.. see if she can do it =P

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/24/10 01:41 PM

...."Who is your favourite composer?" "Who is your favourite musician?", "Who is your favourite arranger", "Who is your musical role model?"

To the first question - I answered Bach - and my teacher Peter B. (who had composed the piece I was about to play)....who is your favourite musician - I answered - Peter B.... To who is your favourite arranger - I answered - Peter B... and you can guess what I'd written for who my musical role model was wink ....Of course the MC (who knew my teacher) thought this was all rather funny - as did the large audience - who by the time I was ready to play were all laughing loudly at my answers.....

LOL!! And that's nothing to be embarrassed about. smile
I think it was GREAT!
I'm pretty sure they weren't laughing "at" you. They thought it was charming, and that it was more than fine. But it's understandable that you would have heard it the other way.
Posted by: jazzyprof

Re: Your most embarrasing performance moment? - 08/24/10 02:53 PM

jazzyprof: that was hilarious.. I mean, must've been painful at one time! She was a pianist too? Hmm maybe you should've asked HER to perform something for you then.. see if she can do it =P

I can laugh at it now...sorta. smile And yes, she's a real pianist (unlike me). She did help me out later by teaching me to have several different starting points within a piece so that I can resume at some other spot if I suffer a breakdown in one place. I also joined a group of amateur piano lovers who meet once a month to play for each other so I'm getting lots of "performance" experience.