Famous homosexual pianist?

Posted by: feebeeliszt

Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 05:23 AM

There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists.

Can you name a few famous homosexual pianist? I can only think of these: Horowitz (though he denied), Stephen Hough, Mikhail Pletnev (I imagine he should be one according to his behaviour in Thailand)
Posted by: Percival

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 05:37 AM

Isn't Tchaikovsky believed to have been gay? I don't think he was a pianist though.
Posted by: Dave Horne

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 05:55 AM

Liberace, Earl Wild and Jorge Bolet though I don't see the point in this exercise.
Posted by: cast12

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 06:12 AM

Van Cliburn
Posted by: stores

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:04 AM

What's the point? Next will we list brown-eyed pianists? Pianists whose names contain the letter "z"? I'm going outside.
Posted by: eric_626

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:10 AM

I often wonder about the attribution of that famous quote.

Did Horowitz really say that? Or was it one of those quotes where the original statement somehow got twisted into something that everyone remembers even though it's not quite correct?

I've always found it amusing though.
Posted by: Hank Drake

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By: feebee_liszt
There are three kinds of pianists: Jewish pianists, homosexual pianists, and bad pianists.

Can you name a few famous homosexual pianist? I can only think of these: Horowitz (though he denied), Stephen Hough, Mikhail Pletnev (I imagine he should be one according to his behaviour in Thailand)

First, don't equate homosexuality with pedophilia - there is no correlation between the two (and that subject was hashed over ad nauseum when the Pletnev story surfaced).

Second, Pletnev was cleared of the Thailand charges.

Third, what does it matter whether a performer of note is homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, transexual, or asexual? Unless their sexuality causes some extramusical conflict (as with Horowitz, who tried to change his sexuality at horrific cost) how does it affect their music making? After all, are homosexual pianists only capable of playing "certain kinds" of music?
Posted by: TheHappyMoron

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:20 AM

What difference does it make if they're homosexual or not? Horowitz obviously used to come out with some crap.
Posted by: apple*

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:22 AM

playing the piano certainly make me feel gay. It's like nothing else.
Posted by: -Frycek

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:22 AM

Obviously someone doesn't think the moderators have enough to do. Personally, I enjoy a good locked thread.
Posted by: stores

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: apple*
playing the piano certainly make me feel gay. It's like nothing else.

hahahahaha!

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:49 AM

Originally Posted By: stores
What's the point? Next will we list brown-eyed pianists? Pianists whose names contain the letter "z"? I'm going outside.

Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Obviously someone doesn't think the moderators have enough to do. Personally, I enjoy a good locked thread.

Is curiosity a fair enough reason? If you've found the thread pointless, you don't even have to come in.
Posted by: Entheo

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:50 AM

and there is only one kind of composer (german), blacks are good at sports, and all moslems are terrorists.

for chrissakes, where's a moderator when you need one?

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 07:58 AM

Is curiosity a fair enough reason? If you've found the thread pointless, you don't even have to come in.

Feebee, I just admire your nerve. smile Seriously. I'm afraid though that between the homophobes and the PC zealots a simple, civil discussion isn't possible. (I'm also curious. All I can think of is Horowitz and my old favorite, Liberace. Everytime I hear that quote, my response, is "Explain Liszt.")

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 08:02 AM

Feebee, I just admire your nerve. smile (Also, I can't think of all that many either. My old favorite Liberace of course.)

Oh well then thanks for the compliment smile
Posted by: apple*

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 08:19 AM

I'm just supposing.. I REALLY don't ever want to know this type of information about people and it certainly isn't polite to ask (and I'm really not a moderator, i used to be)...

you ought to take a look at Cameron Carpenter (an organist) on you tube. He is so talented he is like superman. he's unbelievably awesome.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 08:26 AM

I'm afraid though that between the homophobes and the PC zealots a simple, civil discussion isn't possible.

frycek, if you're accusing me of being a homophobe or a pc zealot you're sorely mistaken. however, when one starts a thread promoting stereotypes (yes, even the cutesy, insidious type) you can rest assured some of us who have seen where this can lead will push back.
Posted by: debrucey

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 09:09 AM

Calm down politically correct people. It may not matter whether a famous pianist is gay or not, but I think its still an interesting discussion. It's also quite plain to see that Horowitz, if he actually said that, was just making a joke, and I can't imagine an intelligent homosexual or jew or anyone else being offended by it, nor should they be.

My hunch is that there are quite a few gay pianists, but as the media doesn't care about their private lives in the same way as footballers or other celebrities then it's never really revealed. Van Cliburn certainly is, as was Richter most probably (another case of cover wife as with Horowitz). Tippet was gay, though better known as a composer than a pianist. Andrew Wilde is not particularly famous but he's definitely on the list. I think Cherkassky was too, according to Stephen Hough anyway.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Entheo

and there is only one kind of composer (german), blacks are good at sports, and all moslems are terrorists.

for chrissakes, where's a moderator when you need one?

Censorship is far worse than this thread.

How do we know the opening poster isn't wondering about their own sexuality?

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 09:29 AM

I'm afraid though that between the homophobes and the PC zealots a simple, civil discussion isn't possible.

frycek, if you're accusing me of being a homophobe or a pc zealot you're sorely mistaken. however, when one starts a thread promoting stereotypes (yes, even the cutesy, insidious type) you can rest assured some of us who have seen where this can lead will push back.

Hey, I wasn't talking about you. Or, who knows, maybe I was. All I know is that there are some subjects that these days that even the most polite, rational and dispassionate people are afraid to broach. Apparently, even the mere mention of someone's sexual orientation prompts an immediate knee jerk presumption of homophobia. And this implies that it's a subject too shameful to be mentioned in polite company, rather like venereal disease. Maybe we need to take a very close look at why we rush to stifle discussion of certain subjects and why we patronize certain groups with our "protection." Patronage aways implies condescension, and condescension, the inferiority of the recipient.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 09:32 AM

Hey, I wasn't talking about you. Or, who knows, maybe I was. All I know is that there are some subjects that these days that even the most polite, rational and dispassionate people are afraid to broach. Apparently, even the mere mention of someone's sexual orientation prompts an immediate knee jerk presumption of homophobia. And this implies that it's a subject too shameful to be mentioned in polite company, rather like venereal disease. Maybe we need to take a very close look at why we rush to stifle discussion of certain subjects and why we patronize certain groups with our "protection." Patronage aways implies condescension, and condescension, the inferiority of the recipient.

Agreed. It discussions such as this is very rarely the minorities in question accusing people of prejudice.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 09:59 AM

Originally Posted By: debrucey

Agreed. It discussions such as this is very rarely the minorities in question accusing people of prejudice.

not surprisingly, you miss my point entirely.
Posted by: Tim Adrianson

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:13 AM

A couple of general comments to this thread --

I'm quite sure Horowitz DID make the quote cited above, and that he DID intend it to be taken as a joke. However, this "joke" is packed with serious import. At the time he made this "crack", homosexuality was not only not tolerated, but was still a criminal activity. It was his sly way of alluding to the significant homosexual presence in the classical music world. The "burlesque" of the joke, of course, was that EVERY person of pianistic "significance" in the classical world was either Jewish and/or homosexual -- and of course that's not true.
What is NOT so funny is that there is a virulent homophobic strain (at least here in the USA) that regards classical music as "fag music", and all the people who perform or are vitally interested in classical music are "fags" or "faggoty". I deliberately use the insulting and derogatory term because that really is in no way a "joke" -- and because it's still out there as a trian of thought

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:15 AM

not surprisingly, you miss my point entirely.

And you miss mine.
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:16 AM

Where's the moderator?

When the topic was started at 4:23am, he was asleep. Now it's 9:10am, and I'm awake and fed and starting my day.

But, I think I'll leave the thread open just to punish those who keep bumping this pointless thread to the top.

Remember, every time you reply to a thread, it moves it back to the top of the topic list in the forum, making it easier for people to notice, read, and respond.

If you really think a thread is pointless and want it to die, then DON'T respond to it.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:19 AM

OK, Big K. I'm going back to my piano. What about the rest of you lugs?

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:20 AM

I'm still confused as to why people think this thread is pointless when we've just had one about world of warcraft.
Posted by: tomasino

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:30 AM

Someone just up-thread wrote that they can't imagine a homosexual or a Jew or anyone being offended.

Really! How about a straight? Should I be offended?

That sexist quip, hopefully misattributed, categorizes me as being a bad pianist, and puts the authority of a great and highly respected pianist behind the categorization.

My reaction is not PC--it is PO'd.

Tomasino

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:31 AM

Only if you think horowitz was being serious, which of course he wasnt.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Tim Adrianson

What is NOT so funny is that there is a virulent homophobic strain (at least here in the USA) that regards classical music as "fag music", and all the people who perform or are vitally interested in classical music are "fags" or "faggoty". I deliberately use the insulting and derogatory term because that really is in no way a "joke" -- and because it's still out there as a trian of thought

I think the biggest problem with that is not that they regard classical music as being gay, but that even if that were true gay is regarded as an undesireable thing to be.
Posted by: MrHazelton

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 11:28 AM

Can't forget Elton John.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 11:31 AM

Hahahaha
Posted by: Damon

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 11:42 AM

It does seem strange that there are more famous homosexual pianists than there are homosexuals that I know in real life. I'm not even sure I know any. I wonder what the attraction is.
Posted by: Andromaque

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 11:45 AM

More interestingly, can you tell that a pianist is gay???

Before you push that Notify button, I am paraphrasing none other than Stephen Hough, who wrote a delightful short paragraph or two about this, including a delightful Albeniz Tango clip played by Cherkassky and a funny anecdote).
Read it here : http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/stephenhough/100006381/gay-pianists-can-you-tell/

I really don't know if I can tell but I have guessed right a few many times (before googling, I swear): Thibaudet (duh.. I know), Jeremy Denk, Jonathan Biss, Thomas Ades, Garrick Ohlsson,etc..
Women remain much more discreet.
Posted by: Opus_Maximus

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 01:09 PM

a lot.....Pogorelich, Horowitz, Kissin, Richter, cliburn, hough just off the top of my head..
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Opus_Maximus
a lot.....Pogorelich, Horowitz, Kissin, Richter, cliburn, hough just off the top of my head..

I didn't know that about Pogorelich, Kissin, or Hough.

They still make great music!
Posted by: Dustin Sanders

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 01:22 PM

wow I'm really shocked some people in this thread have gotten 'offended' in some way by the innocence of the suggestions ...

What if 80% of world famous pianists are homosexual? That would be a pretty significant 'fact' that one could make well informed 'generalizations' about.

Perhaps pianists are very introverted because they spend countless hours secluded in a room with an instrument. Perhaps the affection and love making some of us pianists know perfectly well of - the way we touch and show affection while we play certain pieces ... the fact that most famous composers are males ... and homosexual males feel a sort of 'bond' to those dead genius artists ...

Countless things could be inquired about and I'm ashamed that political correctness has overflowed even into the boundaries of the fine arts.

It's like asking how many female composers there are and everyone FREAKING THE F OUT cause they think it's an offensive question ... why should homosexuality be any different for a correlation between males and pianism!?
Posted by: liszt85

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: MrHazelton
Can't forget Elton John.

eek
Posted by: Dustin Sanders

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Opus_Maximus

Where is the proof for all of these statements?

Homosexuality is also not the same as bisexuality - some of them had wives did they not? At least I'm pretty sure Artur Rubinstein was not homosexual based off his autobiographies ...

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
They still make great music!

lol
Posted by: dolce sfogato

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:31 PM

Matha Argerich must be gay: she pays like a man!

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:35 PM

Really she is paying you off dolce???

Hey how about Tharaud?? is he gay?

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:38 PM

he is, so what?

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:46 PM

SO Nothing. Just curious.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:53 PM

oh well, glad to oblige.

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:57 PM

Merci bien.
Posted by: motif

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 02:58 PM

Posted by: Sir Lurksalot

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 03:07 PM

How do you think Schroeder resisted Lucy for so long?
Posted by: Kreisler

Re: Famous homosexual pianist? - 02/13/11 03:08 PM

Yeah, we're done.

I'm not against discussions involving sexuality here on the forums, but they do need to be a bit more serious than what we've seen here.