Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Lingyis mendelssohn - 06/14/11 07:05 AM
certainly among the most neglected of the great composers, probably because of his being a classical composer at a time romanticism was firmly becoming the predominant style (paraphrasing a leading musicologist i just happened to talk to tonight).

coincidentally, a couple days ago, i hosted a chamber music party, and a cellist told me that i should learn mendelssohn's piano trio, since for whatever reasons, string players love it (along with the brahms op.8 trio). at the time i sight-read the first movement a little below tempo, and thought that it's basically a giant exercise in broken chords.

i looked at it again the next day and thought, hmm, it's actually quite a charming piece. very classical in style, yet also very passionate and "romantic". i like it!

what are some great solo piano works of mendelssohn? i've heard of songs without songs, and his piano concerto is obviously awesome. i wonder what others people have played?
Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 07:52 AM
I love Mendelssohn and am always glad to see him being talked about, but IMO he's hardly neglected. Yeah, I suppose his pieces are played a bit less now than they were at some other times, but.....he is played plenty. The trios are played a lot (BTW there are two of them), the concerti are played a bit, at least a couple of his piano solo pieces (Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, and Variations Sérieuses) are programmed frequently in recitals (as well as in competitions) and his Fantasy in F# minor (a 3-movement work) is programmed a fair amount (I've played the piece, 'almost' programmed it but didn't because I didn't feel I could 'nail' the very difficult last movement), and his Songs Without Words are common material for students as well as occasional material for recitals (especially as encores).

Indeed some of his works are quite neglected, but maybe rightly so. smile
With the notable exception (IMO) of his two Concerti for 2 Pianos.
For the most part, his works which (IMO) deserve to be played are indeed played.

But while I don't agree about him being neglected, I'm glad to see you starting a thread on him. smile
Posted By: bennevis Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 10:36 AM
Mendelssohn is rarely heard in piano recitals, but his piano trios remain popular, especially the D minor (I heard a fabulous performance recently by Vadim Repin-Misha Maisky-Lang Lang) which has a gorgeous 'Song without Words' slow movement. And the piano concertos, though short, are quite often played.

I've played the Rondo capriccioso in E minor since I was a teenager and never fallen out of love with it. His variations on 'The Last Rose of Summer' has also occupied me on & off....
Posted By: feebeeliszt Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 11:16 AM
Strange not many people know about Mendelssohn's piano quartet. They are awesome as well. But my favourtie chamber work by him is C minor piano trio (which I have posted my recording here earlier...)

As for solo works, I have accidentally come across Capriccio brillant in B minor, Op. 22 last year. It wasn't difficult but it just sounded impressive. 3hearts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Xaa8Yu9hw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ytPkpjlek
Posted By: Canonie Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 11:27 AM
I learnt only one SWW and spent time on 2 others. Next on my list to learn is the 19/1 from SWW.

There's no piano in it, but I've been fond of the Mendelssohn octet in Eb for a very long time.
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 12:25 PM
I like the Variations Serieuses Op. 54 a whole lot. I played them (not very well), but I feel that it is his masterpiece for solo piano.
Posted By: pianojerome Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
I like the Variations Serieuses Op. 54 a whole lot. I played them (not very well), but I feel that it is his masterpiece for solo piano.

This is what I was going to say. I also played it (not very well!) in music school. Here's a video with the score:

I don't recall the exact details, but the name "serieuses" was an afterthought, added, I believe, by the editor of a collection of pieces in honor of Beethoven. It was intended as a contrast to "popular" variations. I don't remember what the original title was. Perhaps someone can fill us in?
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 02:17 PM
Also, how exactly do you pronounce "Serieuses"? :P
Posted By: Arghhh Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 02:19 PM
At the time Mendelssohn wrote his set of variations, there were many other not-so-good sets of variations on the market that were very popular with audiences and virtuosi. The name Variations serieuses was taken by Mendelssohn instead to show that these were intended to be
different than the other variations brilliantes. They were first published in a collection with other composers' works to raise money for the Beethoven memorial in Bonn.
Posted By: Arghhh Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 02:27 PM

It's French, so it would be:
say-ri-euz

The eu sound doesn't really exist in English, it is formed by a combination of saying "ay" and then rounding your lips as if you're saying "oo"

serieuses audio
Posted By: pianoloverus Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 02:32 PM
You cannot be serious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekQ_Ja02gTY

Little known fact: The frist time McTantrum uttered this was when he received his grade in my PreCalculus class.
Posted By: bennevis Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 02:42 PM
Why is everything serious always in French? Even Liszt and Chopin (and even Elgar - Salut d'amour... grin) jumped on the bandwagon. Methinks the French take themselves far too seriously......
Posted By: plobotta Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 02:47 PM
A couple of years ago, in a recital, I happened to listen to the andante and variations op 83a for piano four hands, and I liked it a lot, so I looked at the andante and variations from which it was derived (so I understood), the op. 82. Nothing particularly impressive, but I think it's interesting and ... various ;-)
Posted By: pjang23 Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 03:16 PM
IMO, his greatest work is...

Mendelssohn's "Requiem for Fanny"

Mendelssohn is usually a reserved character, but here he lets all loose and expresses his devastation at his sister's death.
Posted By: BDB Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 03:34 PM
Probably his most played piano solo is the Andante and Rondo Capriccioso, op. 14. Then after the Variations Serieuses come some of the Songs Without Words, and the op. 16 #2 Scherzo. He wrote some fine Preludes and Fugues, op. 35, and Characteristic Pieces, op. 7, but his solo piano pieces are variable in quality.
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by bennevis
Methinks the French take themselves far too seriously......

Not all of them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQcmBUc0OQc&feature=related
Posted By: Gooddog Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 03:52 PM
Mendelssohn's two concerti for two pianos are gorgeous. Here's the first movement of the E major:

and the A flat major
Posted By: Pogorelich. Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 04:42 PM
Besides the Variations (which I'm "playing" right now - they're damn hard), I love the preludes and fugues - you should ALL check them out!!!

Hmm perhaps I'll program some for November..
Posted By: NeilOS Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lingyis
certainly among the most neglected of the great composers, probably because of his being a classical composer at a time romanticism was firmly becoming the predominant style (paraphrasing a leading musicologist i just happened to talk to tonight).

coincidentally, a couple days ago, i hosted a chamber music party, and a cellist told me that i should learn mendelssohn's piano trio, since for whatever reasons, string players love it (along with the brahms op.8 trio). at the time i sight-read the first movement a little below tempo, and thought that it's basically a giant exercise in broken chords.

i looked at it again the next day and thought, hmm, it's actually quite a charming piece. very classical in style, yet also very passionate and "romantic". i like it!

what are some great solo piano works of mendelssohn? i've heard of songs without songs, and his piano concerto is obviously awesome. i wonder what others people have played?

I don't think Mendelssohn is really negleted. His symphonies are standard repertoire, as are the two piano concertos and the violin concerto. Both piano trios are performed regularly, though I prefer the D minor with it's numerous engaging melodies, and the Octet and Midsummer Night's Dream are staples.

A selection of the Songs Without Words can make an excellent group on a piano recital and the marvelous Serious Variations, a forerunner of Schumann's massive undertaking, can anchor one half.

Not to quibble too much with your musicologist friend, but I would characterize M. as early German romantic, even though his toes were in the classical period along with Schubert's and Brahms'.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by NeilOS
I don't think Mendelssohn is really neglected....

Looks like it's just you and me. ha
Posted By: Lingyis Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 05:21 PM
thanks for the responses!

the preludes and fugues are indeed great--except the fugues aren't very "catchy", unlike some of Bach's ones. i tend to try to pick pieces the audience wouldn't fall asleep (which i usually simply ask my wife for an opinion). the preludes sounded really awesome though.

ah, i guess op.14 rondo capriccioso is the really famous one. the "serious variations" are nice, and sounds like the kind of piece my wife enjoys listening to--while not falling asleep.

i'm trying to put together a small home recital and considering having something mendelssohn. the variations might be a good choice, or i might go for the rondo capriccioso since it's quite a bit shorter (and easier). the characteristic pieces seems harder to find on youtube, haven't tried very hard yet though.

the scherzo sounds like a great encore piece. so does the rondo capriccioso actually, just slightly longer.

i came across on youtube his etudes op 104, apparently horowitz played one of them. i thought it's actually kind of blend; what do you guys think of it if you've heard of it?

i'll get around to listening the other non-solo piano stuff. thanks for the suggestions.

edit: "aren't" very catchy, not "are".
Posted By: AdlerAugen Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 05:40 PM
Besides those pieces already mentioned, I enjoy his sonata for Cello and Piano in D, Op. 58. I've done the first movement with a cellist I know, but as for recordings I prefer Jan Vogler/ Louis Lortie out of what I've heard so far.
Posted By: argerichfan Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 05:53 PM
One of my favourite Mendelssohn piano works is the Capriccio in F# minor, Op 5. It's really very thrilling (listen to Martin Jones!), but no one ever plays it.

And I know it's kinda sappy, but I have a serious weakness for the anthem 'I waited for the Lord', especially when performed by the boys at King's College.
Posted By: NeilOS Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by bennevis
Why is everything serious always in French? Even Liszt and Chopin (and even Elgar - Salut d'amour... grin) jumped on the bandwagon. Methinks the French take themselves far too seriously......

Well, just to play devil's advocate, there's Vier ernste Gesaenge of Brahms.
Posted By: stores Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Besides the Variations (which I'm "playing" right now - they're damn hard), I love the preludes and fugues - you should ALL check them out!!!

Hmm perhaps I'll program some for November..

+1 The preludes and fugues are excellent works and extremely overlooked/underplayed.
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 11:27 PM
I still have a hard time getting into the preludes and fugues...
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 11:38 PM
I have an old edition of Songs Without Words which is really nice. Currawong was there when I found it at a book sale and liked it too. smile
I haven't played them all yet, but I want to play at least 4 or 5 more before the end of the year...
Posted By: argerichfan Re: mendelssohn - 06/14/11 11:40 PM
I still have a hard time getting into the preludes and fugues...

Even the E minor? The moment where the chorale breaks in has to be one of the most thrilling moments of musical exorcism. Alas, Charles Rosen -taking himself too seriously- has some rather bitchy comments about it.
Posted By: Andromaque Re: mendelssohn - 06/15/11 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You cannot be serious!

Little known fact: The frist time McTantrum uttered this was when he received his grade in my PreCalculus class.

I love love that tirade! Do you know if McEnroe was right?
And did you award him his calculus points back ???
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/15/11 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You cannot be serious!

I love love that tirade! Do you know if McEnroe was right?
And did you award him his calculus points back ???

Whatever the case, whether on the tennis court or on the blackboard in plover's classroom, McEnroe will swear up and down that chalk flew.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/15/11 02:57 AM

Great set!!!
Posted By: argerichfan Re: mendelssohn - 06/15/11 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by Mark_C

Great set!!!

Very upbeat music too.

smokin
Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/15/11 03:03 AM
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Very upbeat music too.

Yeah, right. ha ha
Posted By: dolce sfogato Re: mendelssohn - 06/15/11 06:58 PM
Mendelssohn isn't at all neglected, he just didn't write glorious solo piano music as did f.i. Chopin/Liszt/Schubert/Beethoven, but his trio's are fantastic masterpieces in their own right, I prefer the c-minor one to the d-minor one, and all he has written is eclipsed by his octet, what a piece!
Posted By: wdot Re: mendelssohn - 06/17/11 09:17 PM
I love Mendelssohn, and I've certainly played a lot of it. I played the Rondo Capriccio as a young teen and then the G minor concerto a couple of years later. Throw in a wide assortment of Songs without Words, some of which are not at all easy. I've taught myself all kinds of things over the years, ranging from the D minor concerto to the Capriccio Brilliant to the Variations Serieuse (sp?). I even had a go at the last "movement" of the F# minor Fantasy. I remember Schub programming that for his Cliburn competition. Although I couldn't begin to play it accurately up to tempo, it's a fun piece.

One piece nobody has mentioned is the Mendelssohn E major piano sonata. It's an early work. It has a fascinating unmetered recitative section leading into a rousing rondo finale. Perahia recorded it many years ago, and it really does sparkle.
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 03:57 AM
This is my university's chamber choir (University of Louisville Cardinal Singers) that got 2nd place in the Marktoberdorf choral competition a few days ago, which is pretty much the most prestigious choral competition in the world. This is their performance in that competition.

I'm not in this choir, but I'm in a larger choir that includes (almost) all of these singers. We did this piece, but they pull it off even better than we did. It's RIDICULOUSLY hard to not go flat or sharp throughout it, haha.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 04:03 AM
Beautiful piece, beautiful performance. (Very professional!)
I have to wonder what choir got 1st place!!

BTW: If I didn't know that this was Mendelssohn and had to guess the composer, I'd be stumped, and probably say "Brahms."

If it was multiple choice, though, I'd probably get it. ha
It's just that I wouldn't ordinarily think of Mendelssohn for a choral work.
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 04:10 AM
Entrevoces, a spectacular choir from Cuba, got first.

This isn't the first time my school's chamber choir beasted Mendelssohn, though wink

2005 Marktoberdorf competition, also got 2nd then, haha.

But our choir director made a groundbreaking discovery of Mendelssohn (I think discovered a lost work or something like that... He wrote a ridiculous doctoral thesis, haha) while studying in Germany https://louisville.edu/music/faculty-staff/bios/kent-hatteberg.html
Posted By: Saul Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 04:15 AM
Neglected?

Just look at his popularity on youtube for example, Thousands of videos with millions of views and favorites. People love Mendelssohn, and today he is considered one of the most popular of composers in history.

Wikipedia says the following :

"He is now among the most popular composers of the Romantic era"...

The man was the most gifted musical genius the world had ever known, so how can someone like that be neglected?

It doesnt make any sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Mendelssohn
Posted By: Orange Soda King Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by Saul
Neglected?

Just look at his popularity on youtube for example, Thousands of videos with millions of views and favorites. People love Mendelssohn, and today he is considered one of the most popular of composers in history.

Wikipedia says the following :

"He is now among the most popular composers of the Romantic era"...

The man was the most gifted musical genius the world had ever known, so how can someone like that be neglected?

It doesnt make any sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Mendelssohn

I guess the original poster didn't see as much of Mendelssohn's music programmed in recitals compared to the other romantic era composers. I agree that Mendelssohn isn't really neglected, though.
Posted By: Lingyis Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 03:32 PM
yeah, i tend to do this a lot--being unclear. when i say "most neglected among the great composers", i don't mean "neglected" by itself, but "among the great composers". of course, everybody has a different idea of who the "great composers" are, so my statement means different things to different people.

but anyway--that was just a segue to my main question in the original post--a question about his piano music.

so thankfully, that is what most people focused on! and i learned and listened to quite a bit of his piano music as a result. thanks guys.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 03:40 PM
yeah, i tend to do this a lot--being unclear. when i say "most neglected among the great composers", i don't mean "neglected" by itself, but "among the great composers"...

OK.....so you didn't mean that you don't think his works get performed? (That's what it would usually mean, and we could only assume that was what you meant.)

You meant that you feel he belongs among the "great" composers but usually isn't put there?

As you say, it depends on the meaning of "great." I love Mendelssohn, but would reserve the category of "great" for those in the highest echelon.

But if there were a "Hall of Fame" for composers, I'd definitely want to see him in there -- and I'm sure he would be. smile
Posted By: Lingyis Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 04:07 PM
yeah, i tend to do this a lot--being unclear. when i say "most neglected among the great composers", i don't mean "neglected" by itself, but "among the great composers"...

OK.....so you didn't mean that you don't think his works get performed? (That's what it would usually mean, and we could only assume that was what you meant.)

You meant that you feel he belongs among the "great" composers but usually isn't put there?

As you say, it depends on the meaning of "great." I love Mendelssohn, but would reserve the category of "great" for those in the highest echelon.

But if there were a "Hall of Fame" for composers, I'd definitely want to see him in there -- and I'm sure he would be. smile

yeah... i guess it's even more confusing than i thought! maybe it's just awkward phrasing--i had one thing in mind and it looks like it didn't come out the way i intended. what i meant was: between the 6 or 7 great composers, mendelssohn included, his music is least performed.

of course then we get into the discussion in the "major vs minor composer" thread. maybe mendelssohn's music is getting just the right amount of attention!

to complicate it further, in the back of my mind, i was also thinking about what the musicologist said about how his music was so very very popular until the late victorian days. today, it is nowhere near as popular, even though his compositional skills are of the very first order, in his opinion. an example he gave was the italian and english (?) symphonies, which rarely get programmed anymore. and the reason he thought for this decline in interest is the classicism in a romantic era argument i briefly mentioned in the original post.

ps. i read up his bio and apparently in addition to being a late 19th century early 20th century german music specialist he also studied the "social history" of British music of the time. so his opinion could be biased in one way or another.

Posted By: NickN Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.

I second this!

Im working on the E minor one right now. (But I love them all)

They fit very well under the hands too.
Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 06:15 PM
....what i meant was: between the 6 or 7 great composers, mendelssohn included, his music is least performed....

Another reason we wouldn't have gotten what you meant was that very few people regard Mendelssohn as being at that level, even if we confine it to keyboard composers, even if we confine it to chamber music, even if we confine it to anything.

Don't get me wrong: I love Mendelssohn too. But I think you'd have a hard time finding many people who would put Mendelssohn among the top 6-7 composers.

But I'm still loving this thread. smile
Posted By: pjang23 Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 06:52 PM
an example he gave was the italian and english (?) symphonies, which rarely get programmed anymore.

Uh, what? confused
Posted By: Lingyis Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by pjang23
an example he gave was the italian and english (?) symphonies, which rarely get programmed anymore.

Uh, what? confused

hmm? italian seems fine, but wikipedia tells me it's not the english symphony but the scottish.
Posted By: pjang23 Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 08:32 PM
The Italian symphony is one of the most programmed and popular symphonies.
Posted By: Lingyis Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 08:38 PM
The Italian symphony is one of the most programmed and popular symphonies.

Oh I see. I'm just going by what the musicologist said--and he was speaking in relative terms to Victorian times.
Posted By: wr Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 09:16 PM

of course then we get into the discussion in the "major vs minor composer" thread. maybe mendelssohn's music is getting just the right amount of attention!

Maybe it is. But I think that his piano music is worth more attention than it seems to get.

to complicate it further, in the back of my mind, i was also thinking about what the musicologist said about how his music was so very very popular until the late victorian days. today, it is nowhere near as popular, even though his compositional skills are of the very first order, in his opinion. an example he gave was the italian and english (?) symphonies, which rarely get programmed anymore. and the reason he thought for this decline in interest is the classicism in a romantic era argument i briefly mentioned in the original post.

I think the "classicism in the romantic era" argument is a good one. And it could apply to several other composers as well, who made esthetic choices that were out of step with their time.

On the other hand, Mendelssohn's genius seems weirdly inconsistent to me - while a lot of the piano music is of very high quality, there aren't that many real masterpieces, either. I can't think of any of the piano music that is on the sublime level of the Octet, for example.
Posted By: Saul Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 09:51 PM
I just don't see any rational explanation for those who somehow choose not to include Mendelssohn in the top 10 composers of all time. The man was lionized in his time, all of Europe was at awe is his astonishing genius, and I just don’t see what gives the authority to amateurs here, to decide that Mendelssohn shouldn’t be in the top 10.

Schumann famously called Mendelssohn 'The Unforgettable' one.

And he didn’t throw words like that freely...but reserved them to the best of the best.
Posted By: pjang23 Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 10:14 PM
I just don't see any rational explanation for those who somehow choose not to include Mendelssohn in the top 10 composers of all time. The man was lionized in his time, all of Europe was at awe is his astonishing genius, and I just don’t see what gives the authority to armatures here, to decide that Mendelssohn shouldn’t be in the top 10.

And he didn’t throw words like that freely...but reserved them to the best of the best.

Save for list-making, I don't see what's so important about considering Mendelssohn as at least "tenth best". I do enjoy and respect his work a lot (and consider him roughly an equal of Schumann or Chopin) but he only falls short of "tenth best" for me--though not by much--simply because there just happens to be at least 10 more composers whose work I respect more. The problem is not Mendelssohn, but the number 10.
Posted By: beet31425 Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 10:26 PM
I like a lot of Mendelssohn, but I happen to love the following composers more: Bach, Scarlatti, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Chopin, Liszt, Wagner, Mahler, Dvorak, Janacek, R. Strauss, Rachmaninoff, Medtner, Scriabin, Debussy, Ives, Schoenberg, Berg, Webern, Bartok, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch, Ligeti, Messiaen, Nancarrow, Adams.

So... we all have different opinions, and there's no reason to be shocked that Mendelssohn isn't in some of our "top 10", or even top 40. But I may just be an armature.

-Jason
Posted By: Saul Re: mendelssohn - 06/19/11 10:52 PM
I just don't see any rational explanation for those who somehow choose not to include Mendelssohn in the top 10 composers of all time. The man was lionized in his time, all of Europe was at awe is his astonishing genius, and I just don’t see what gives the authority to armatures here, to decide that Mendelssohn shouldn’t be in the top 10.

Save for list-making, I don't see what's so important about considering Mendelssohn as at least "tenth best". I do enjoy and respect his work a lot (and consider him roughly an equal of Schumann or Chopin) but he only falls short of "tenth best" for me--though not by much--simply because there just happens to be at least 10 more composers whose work I respect more. The problem is not Mendelssohn, but the number 10.

And that's where the problem is. Do you know that on a technical manner, Schumann was an amateur next to Mendelssohn and so too Schubert?

Chopin had nothing even close to offer next to Mendelssohn's colorful and instrumental output. Yes he was good at the piano, but did he ever compose Astonishing Symphonic works?

No, so how in the world can you even compare Chopin and Mendelssohn? Without a doubt Mendelssohn was much Greater then him.

But you should know that whoever you give more respect doesn’t mean that he is a better composer. For example, lets say that someone here gives more respect to Satie, could anyone in his right mind suggest that Satie was greater then Beethoven?

Of course not, that would be ludicrous.

Same here, the Idea that Schumann or Chopin, or Liszt or Berlioz were greater then Mendelssohn is a pure subjective opinion, that doesn’t reflect truth or reality.

They wouldn’t come close to Mendelssohn's Astonishing musical gifts, beginning from the fact that at age 15 he already didn’t need to know anything else from his teachers, and was already competent in everything that has to do with music. He was a legendary Pianist, one of the greatest Organists in history, a competent and talented, violinist, violist, a world renowned conductor that refined the art of conducting in general through his new approaches and innovations of the art. A master first rate symphonist and instrumentalist, in fact Mendelssohn’s subtle and amazing talent in capturing real life scenes in music, has influenced the impressionistic movements, and his symphonic innovations and contributions influenced composers like Brahms, Schumann, Borodin (he was Borodin's favorite composer) and Mahler, and in turn through Mahler, Shostakovich and Nielsen. His status as the sole leading musical giant in Europe after Beethoven was rock solid and undisputed. He organized and assisted for both Liszt and Chopin and other composers by creating for them concerts to showcase their music, Chopin openly asked for Mendelssohn's assistance, and they all looked at him as a leader and a teacher, please do some bio reading of Mendelssohn to see how great he was...

Why do you think Wagner was turning in his bed day and night? He just couldn’t stand Mendelssohn's unshakable position as the leader of everything music in Europe he had to wait until Mendelssohn's death in order to compose his diatribe against Mendelssohn because Mendelssohn while living, couldn’t have been touched, for Wagner would have gotten himself in deep troubles and would have exposed himself to a roaring Europe, cause Mendelssohn's position was steadfast and undisputed.

He composed in every genre, from Opera, Choral, and for every instrument, with the highest skill and knowledge, he was a true professional of the highest level.

On top of that, even after Wagner and the Nazis of WW2 who tried to shut him out from memory, his music still remains immensely popular everywhere where music is loved and celebrated.

For without those evil forces trying to disrupt Mendelssohn's genius, he would have been considered today equal to Bach and Beethoven in the hall of the top 3 composers of all time, Bach, Beethoven and Mendelssohn.

When judging greatness you have to look into the context, into history and understand what took place, and not base your opinion only and solely on personal and subjective opinion.
Posted By: argerichfan Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 12:35 AM
^ I tend to agree with a lot of what Saul has said. Being raised in the UK, and as an Anglican, Mendelssohn was always considered our 'meat and potatoes'. I loved him from my very beginning. His oratorio Elijah remains the second most popular choral work in England, between Messiah and Gerontius.

For all that -IMO- Mendelssohn takes a back seat to Chopin, Schumann, Liszt and Brahms, not to mention Wagner, the greatest of all. Wagner was a nasty man, no doubt there, but he simply had more talent than Mendelssohn. Even his early opera Rienzi, which I know, demonstrates this.

And whilst I am not a Roman Catholic, I think Elgar's Dream of Gerontius a far more intense and personally felt piece than Elijah.
Posted By: Saul Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by argerichfan
^ I tend to agree with a lot of what Saul has said. Being raised in the UK, and as an Anglican, Mendelssohn was always considered our 'meat and potatoes'. I loved him from my very beginning. His oratorio Elijah remains the second most popular choral work in England, between Messiah and Gerontius.

For all that -IMO- Mendelssohn takes a back seat to Chopin, Schumann, Liszt and Brahms, not to mention Wagner, the greatest of all. Wagner was a nasty man, no doubt there, but he simply had more talent than Mendelssohn. Even his early opera Rienzi, which I know, demonstrates this.

And whilst I am not a Roman Catholic, I think Elgar's Dream of Gerontius a far more intense and personally felt piece than Elijah.

Hello there,

Brahms had said famously that : "he would have given up all his composition if he could have composed a work as great as the Hebrides". So that says it all. And again, Schumann began taking music seriously in a later age, while Mendelssohn was a lion in his youth, there is no comparison. Liszt was more appreciated as a showmanship piano virtuoso then a composer in his lifetime, Mendelssohn on the other hand ruled supreme as a composer, he was considered the greatest composer of his time, everyone knew this, it was so obvious. I have already expressed my position on Chopin, yes he wrote some great and beautiful music for piano and created new standards for piano playing, but his concentrated one instrument works that number 139 works, don’t match up to Mendelssohn's over 600 encompassing and varied works of every genre imaginable. So it is clear that Mendelssohn was greater then Chopin.

As to Wagner, why do you think that he felt that he had to attack Mendelssohn and his music, think about it...

If one is so great , even greater then Mendelssohn as you suggest, then why he has to write entire books of diatribe against Mendelssohn? lets here your music, and let the people be the judge of who is greater...

But he knew that in order to rise above the legacy of Mendelssohn and secure his own position as the composer of the time, Wagner felt that he has to resort to nasty tactics of vituperations and vilifications. But true greatness doesn’t need to put others down, true greatness is self evident.

Mendelssohn's drastic superiority in his talents over these composers are self evident, and are absolutely natural.

But then comes personal taste, you may personally like Wagner more then Mendelssohn, but the distance from this to saying that he was greater then Mendelssohn, is the same distance from the sun to the galaxy Andromeda.

Posted By: pjang23 Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 01:15 AM

When judging greatness you have to look into the context, into history and understand what took place, and not base your opinion only and solely on personal and subjective opinion.

You misunderstood me then. When I said "respect more", I did not mean "like more", but rather, I meant who I considered a greater composer, independent of personal preferences. Who I respect more is not necessarily who I like more.

As a matter of fact, Mendelssohn would probably do even better if it was a question of which composers I liked most. However, on the objective scale I do not assess Mendelssohn as highly as you do. smile
Posted By: Saul Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 01:25 AM

You misunderstood me then. When I said "respect more", I did not mean "like more", but rather, I meant who I considered a greater composer, independent of personal preferences. Who I respect more is not necessarily who I like more.

As a matter of fact, Mendelssohn would probably do even better if it was a question of which composers I liked most. However, on the objective scale I do not assess Mendelssohn as highly as you do. smile

I understand that you have a different opinion about this, but let me ask you this:

What was the reason that Mendelssohn was considered the greatest composer of his time?

One can't argue that there was an absence of good composers in Mendelssohn's time, but why he was the undisputed Greatest composer of his age?

You might ask me , how do we know that he was really considered as such...well to that I'll answer that every single bio that I have read of Mendelssohn has mentioned that, including Professor Larry Todd's monumental large biography. He just brings the evidence and the history of how it was there in Europe.

Let me hear your thoughts...
Posted By: jnod Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 01:38 AM
[quote=argerichfan]^

As to Wagner, why do you think that he felt that he had to attack Mendelssohn and his music, think about it...

If one is so great , even greater then Mendelssohn as you suggest, then why he has to write entire books of diatribe against Mendelssohn? lets here your music, and let the people be the judge of who is greater...

Maybe I'm missing something elementary here but is it not possible that Wagner disliked Mendelssohn because of his Jewish heritage? I know M's family had converted to Lutheranism at some point (I think a lot of German Jews did though it's possible they had their fingers crossed while doing so). In any event, for all his greatness as a composer, Wagner was a rather nasty anti-semite. Haven't read any of his writings on M so I'm just making conversation here really....

Posted By: stores Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 01:40 AM

What was the reason that Mendelssohn was considered the greatest composer of his time?

According to the Book of Saul, that is.
Posted By: Saul Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by jnod
[quote=argerichfan]^

Maybe I'm missing something elementary here but is it not possible that Wagner disliked Mendelssohn because of his Jewish heritage? I know M's family had converted to Lutheranism at some point (I think a lot of German Jews did though it's possible they had their fingers crossed while doing so). In any event, for all his greatness as a composer, Wagner was a rather nasty anti-semite. Haven't read any of his writings on M so I'm just making conversation here really....

That was also true, but he did it more because he wanted to advance his status as a composer.
Posted By: Lingyis Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 02:29 AM
it's kind of rare i side myself with saul. but this is actually one of those times!

i've always assumed mendelssohn as one of the greats--the circle of musical people i interacted with through the years had basically the same opinion, which is why i just grouped him with the "great composers" in my original post, without much thought. i'm not a musician by trade, so maybe there's a selection bias there.

i don't think i myself thought much of him--simply because as a pianist i don't come across his works often. his violin concerto is undoubtedly the iconic violin concerto, but his highly acclaimed piano concerto i kind of thought was so classical in harmony and style i wondered, why didn't he push the envelope?

when i picked up the viola a few months back, i discovered that he wrote a viola sonata at age 14. gorgeous music, even if, again, extremely classical. but it was work of a genius without doubt.

finally, the mendelssohn trio that my cellist friend said i simply have to learn because string players love it. to repeat my original post, upon first reading, i thought it's a giant exercise in broken chords, with relatively simple chord progressions. what's so special about it? yeah, it sounds great, sure, but, what else is there?

the next day, i looked at it again, and only then something clicked and i realized just how he comes up with ideas nobody else does, his seamless transitions and never ending thematic materials, and seemingly effortless compositional style.

so i'm learning his rondo capriccioso (thanks forum for bringing it to my attention) and all i can say is, wow, it's simply ingenious.

more and more, i realize, he is exactly what mozart would have been if mozart were born in the 19th century. and just a moment ago, i found out that schumann wrote a glowing review of his trio, indeed comparing him to mozart.

i haven't listened to too much of his music, but i'm gonna guess based on what i heard is that mendelssohn didn't transform himself and go far beyond the classical style. beethoven earned universal acclaim for his never-ending pursuit of new musical ideas and forms; i don't know if mendelssohn went much beyond relying on his innate abilities. in other words, i wonder if mendelssohn ever "advanced" music the same way the other greats did, or if his tried very hard to reinvent himself.

and that is a pretty big factor in determining "greatness", i would imagine, for a good portion of people. recapping what has happened the past century is good, but creating new things is better.

coupled with the relentless pursuit of new intellectual ideas in the 19th century, not just musically but scientifically and philosophical, and the emergence of anti-semitism later on, one can see how mendelssohn's music lost some of it vaunted status in people's minds.

but i think without these external factors, mendelssohn stands right there with the greatest.

Posted By: Carey Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 02:42 AM
Interesting article on Mendelssohn the opera composer....
worth reading .......

http://www.colineatock.com/mendoper.htm
Posted By: argerichfan Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 03:01 AM

If one is so great, even greater then Mendelssohn as you suggest, then why he has to write entire books of diatribe against Mendelssohn? lets here your music, and let the people be the judge of who is greater...

I have little to reply to that. Wagner's prose -of which a lot I have read- is mostly silly and self-serving. I do not speak German, but the translation by Charles Osborne of Wagner's rant against the Jews is considered accurate enough by friends of mine who do speak German. It is very embarrassing, not to mention asinine. But of course outside of music and the force which created a Bayreauth, Wagner was a very tiny man, all too human I suppose.

So we're just stuck with his music. When I was driving over Lake Washington on I-90 this morning, the overture to Flying Dutchman came on the radio. This is highly charged music, it fired me up like you wouldn't believe, it reminded me how much I love that opera. And that is early Wagner.

I'm a devout student of The Ring and Tristan, but nothing in Mendelssohn quite excites me the same way, as much I love Mendelssohn's contribution to the music of the Church of England. Post Wagner, my favourite composers are Strauss and Elgar, but methinks you may not like them very much.

To each his own my friend, but you do not make a case for Mendelssohn being in any way greater than Wagner. With due respect, you're just not listening to this music the way I am.

I'm listening to Siegfried's Funeral March from Götterdämmerung. Nothing in Mendelssohn comes close, but we are free to disagree? laugh
Posted By: Saul Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 03:57 AM
it's kind of rare i side myself with saul. but this is actually one of those times!

i've always assumed mendelssohn as one of the greats--the circle of musical people i interacted with through the years had basically the same opinion, which is why i just grouped him with the "great composers" in my original post, without much thought. i'm not a musician by trade, so maybe there's a selection bias there.

i don't think i myself thought much of him--simply because as a pianist i don't come across his works often. his violin concerto is undoubtedly the iconic violin concerto, but his highly acclaimed piano concerto i kind of thought was so classical in harmony and style i wondered, why didn't he push the envelope?

when i picked up the viola a few months back, i discovered that he wrote a viola sonata at age 14. gorgeous music, even if, again, extremely classical. but it was work of a genius without doubt.

finally, the mendelssohn trio that my cellist friend said i simply have to learn because string players love it. to repeat my original post, upon first reading, i thought it's a giant exercise in broken chords, with relatively simple chord progressions. what's so special about it? yeah, it sounds great, sure, but, what else is there?

the next day, i looked at it again, and only then something clicked and i realized just how he comes up with ideas nobody else does, his seamless transitions and never ending thematic materials, and seemingly effortless compositional style.

so i'm learning his rondo capriccioso (thanks forum for bringing it to my attention) and all i can say is, wow, it's simply ingenious.

more and more, i realize, he is exactly what mozart would have been if mozart were born in the 19th century. and just a moment ago, i found out that schumann wrote a glowing review of his trio, indeed comparing him to mozart.

i haven't listened to too much of his music, but i'm gonna guess based on what i heard is that mendelssohn didn't transform himself and go far beyond the classical style. beethoven earned universal acclaim for his never-ending pursuit of new musical ideas and forms; i don't know if mendelssohn went much beyond relying on his innate abilities. in other words, i wonder if mendelssohn ever "advanced" music the same way the other greats did, or if his tried very hard to reinvent himself.

and that is a pretty big factor in determining "greatness", i would imagine, for a good portion of people. recapping what has happened the past century is good, but creating new things is better.

coupled with the relentless pursuit of new intellectual ideas in the 19th century, not just musically but scientifically and philosophical, and the emergence of anti-semitism later on, one can see how mendelssohn's music lost some of it vaunted status in people's minds.

but i think without these external factors, mendelssohn stands right there with the greatest.

Thank you for your fine points. I do agree with some of them.

But lets take this discussion a little further. I believe that the disagreement and argument here is not really about Mendelssohn or Wagner per say, but rather its an inverted look at the early masters and the later romantic and 'revolutionary' composers. An added point of contention also has to do with how much the factor of been a 'Child Prodigy' plays into determining greatness. So for the sake of been impartial here, I'll forget about Mendelssohn for a while and lets figure out who was a greater composer, Wagner or Mozart.

When it comes to musical genius Mozart had phenomenal musical abilities and gifts, from a very early age. His creative output was extremely prolific, and his music is very beautiful, dramatic and many at times moving. He was a virtuoso keyboard player, and had the almost perfect ability to sight-read a totally new piece of music unrehearsed with no mistakes, and also upon hearing a new melody instantly play it on the piano with no errors. He also could write entire scores of music, without using an instrument, straight from head to paper. His music is so pure and popular, that there is almost no place in the world that his music is not heard , or known. His music didn’t carry a German nationalistic message per say, his music rather has a universal appeal, written for all people, for humanity. He was a first rate melodist, and improviser, and his works portray, clarity, thought, order, and vividness. Composers such as Beethoven and Mendelssohn and Chopin, literally lionized him, and were greatly influenced by him, especially Mendelssohn.

Mozart was not a revolutionary composer, but who determined and made it a ‘musical commandment’ to be ‘revolutionary’? Who decided that the more ‘revolutionary’ composer you are , the greater composer you are?

Why there is a need to be ‘revolutionary’ in music? didn’t Bach teach us all that its perfectly possible to compose monumental and astonishingly beautiful and moving works by sticking to the ‘Old School Rules of composition’? Didn’t he demonstrate to us all, that been an anti-revolutionary is not an obstacles to greatness?

Its interesting to note, that Mahler towards the end of his life, fell in love with Bach’s music, and listened to it the most. How odd, that a composer so revolutionary would go back to Bach and find his greatest joy in his music…

So when it comes to simple clear cut Genius, Mozart wins the day at any day, easily, without any difficulties over Wagner.

The Funny thing in all of this is that the famous German conductor who knew Wagner very well and was a huge Mendelssohn fan and admirer disclosed what Wagner really thought of Mendelssohn privately to him. Here is the quote of Hans Von Bulow :

“Richard Wagner used to call Mendelssohn (in conversation at least) the greatest specifically musical genius the world has had since Mozart”…

I mean, if that’s not a clear affirmation of greatness and genius then what is? Without the slightest of doubt, Wagner knew and realized the immensity of Mendelssohn’s Genius and greatness, he even compared him to Mozart, and everyone knows that Mozart is way up there in the top five…

So its better that you’ll all take Wagner at his word, and trust him when he said (not in the greatest of enthusiasm I grant you that) that Mendelssohn was one of the greatest composers in human history, and since he compared him to Mozart, then you do the math and gather the correct conclusions.

Cheers,

Saul

Posted By: Mark_C Re: mendelssohn - 06/20/11 06:07 AM
I just don't see any rational explanation for those who somehow choose not to include Mendelssohn in the top 10 composers of all time.....
No, so how in the world can you even compare Chopin and Mendelssohn? Without a doubt Mendelssohn was much Greater than him....

Saul, those kinds of statements fail to recognize that concepts like "greater" and "greatest" are subjective, and may involve very differing opinions on the criteria. People may differ on which criteria count, and how much.

the Idea that Schumann or Chopin, or Liszt or Berlioz were greater then Mendelssohn is a pure subjective opinion....

Absolutely. As is the opposite view!

Somehow I'm reminded of this great scene from "Dead Poets Society".... smile

"....determining the poem's greatness becomes a relatively simple matter...."

Posted By: RandomPianist Re: mendelssohn - 04/04/12 04:47 AM
Right at the moment I am playing one of Mendelssohn's songs. Though he may not be mentioned as much as Beethoven or Mozart, his music still remains great.
Posted By: David-G Re: mendelssohn - 04/04/12 12:30 PM
I love Mendelssohn, but would reserve the category of "great" for those in the highest echelon.

I must chime in here. You don't think that Mendelssohn is in the "highest echelon"? I find that a very curious statement, as I think that the idea of ranking composers who write in very different styles is meaningless. But I will say this. I would place "A Midsummer Night's Dream" at the very summit of "greatness".
Posted By: ChopinAddict Re: mendelssohn - 04/05/12 10:08 PM
About two weeks ago I bought Mendelssohn's Complete Piano Works in a nice big book (hardcover) with "1900" written in ink on the first page. I absolutely love this book. It contains real treasures. 3hearts
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums