Diabelli Variations

Posted by: Andromaque

Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 08:53 AM

I just came across a complete rendition of this most favorite work of mine by Grigory Sokolov. Inlcudes the score. Just marvelous and masterful.
I still prefer Richter's but I have been listening to him for many more years.

Posted by: TheHappyMoron

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 09:09 AM

For some reason i've never paid much attention to the Diabelli variations - i always feel like i'm missing out on something wonderful but i just don't seem to get round to discovering it. frown
Posted by: Gerard12

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 09:37 AM

Wow. I might start drooling in anticipation.....thank you for posting this, Andromaque. I'm not going to click on it until I have the opportunity to give it my undivided attention. If I put this on in the background, I won't get anything done!
Posted by: sophial

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 12:28 PM

Sokolov is fantastic, one of my favorite pianists!! One day hope to see him in a live performance, but he mainly plays in Europe.

Sophia
Posted by: stores

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 05:09 PM

I wasn't aware that he'd recorded the Diabellis, actually. I will certainly give this a listen later as Sokolov is simply one of THE greatest I've ever heard and I always look forward to his playing.
Posted by: Orange Soda King

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 06:29 PM

Sokolov is one of my favorites! I also don't have time to listen right now, but I will definitely do so when I get a chance. smile
Posted by: Andromaque

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 08:14 PM

Rumors from Paris have it that he has been playing a la Richter: spot light at the piano and dark hall. I have no idea why he doesn't play here!

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Andromaque
Rumors from Paris have it that he has been playing a la Richter: spot light at the piano and dark hall. I have no idea why he doesn't play here!

That I've not heard, but he has long played with very few stage lights preferring to slip into the darkness once he's finished. I would absolutely love to hear him live and have the chance to meet him.
Posted by: wr

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/03/12 10:25 PM

Well, he cancelled a concert in the UK because their visa requirements were offensive to him and I don't think he has played there since, so maybe that can be extrapolated into an idea of why he doesn't play the US. But it's just an idea...I don't really know.

Re: Diabelli Variations - 03/04/12 06:15 AM

Originally Posted By: wr

Well, he cancelled a concert in the UK because their visa requirements were offensive to him and I don't think he has played there since, so maybe that can be extrapolated into an idea of why he doesn't play the US. But it's just an idea...I don't really know.

He didn't just cancel A concert...back when the UK began enforcing much tighter visa requirements ('09 I believe?) he said he wouldn't perform in the UK again until things loosened up a bit.
Posted by: de_schreiber

Re: Diabelli Variations - 01/02/13 08:48 AM

Wonderful. Thank you. Several years ago I had occasion to collect at least a dozen versions of the Diabelli Variations, and I listened to them repeatedly for many, many months. Sokolov stood out as having the most individual and most interesting interpretations, and he soon became one of my favourite pianists in general.
Posted by: Numerian

Re: Diabelli Variations - 01/02/13 09:15 PM

I don't care so much for the Sokolov performance. Of course, there are many precious moments, such as the accompaniment 16ths in the 6th Variation that he takes staccato, and so many expressive cadences and drawn out passages. But after awhile, I get the impression I am hearing a performance of Chopin, not Beethoven. Legitimately, Sokolov can use all this expressiveness, poetry, delicate shading, and other aspects of his virtuosic touch and produce an interesting performance of the Diabelli Variations, but I am always wondering, "What curious thing will he be doing in the next variation?" I'm distracted from noticing Beethoven (maybe I would if Sokolov emphasized the weird modulations Beethoven uses, but he doesn't).

I'd rather listen to the Maria Yudina performances on YouTube. She is much faster than Sokolov, more "masculine" - direct, unfussy, and controlled, and she is far more interested in the musical line, not the details. This to me is more convincing because she slips into the background and leaves Beethoven out in the forefront.